Summer Riding & How to Manage Heat

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
What brand is your phase change cooling vest and at what temp do you get over 2 hr out of it?

My Glacier Tech vest is done after about 1 1/2 hr at around 100 F, But it is with a mesh jacket, which may not be the best combination.
This one: https://www.thewarmingstore.com/techkewl-phase-change-cooling-vest-blue.html

I've been doing some experimenting. After an hour at 90*F (90-100% humidity) inside an Aerostich, with vents open, its maybe half gone? Jeans and a mesh jacket are cooler as long as you are moving. Obviously there is less protection not wearing the 'Stich. I fully understand that the mesh will dehydrate me quickly but I only commute an hr each way.

Like an idiot I bought a BLACK helmet. And it has a Cardo in it so I can't make it an artic aquarium prior to a ride.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Like an idiot I bought a BLACK helmet. And it has a Cardo in it so I can't make it an artic aquarium prior to a ride.
You can put a bag of ice in the helmet to chill the hat. Carry a new plastic garbage bag, line the helmet, then put in a bag of ice cubes (double layer of plastic to keep liquid water separate from the hat).

Bike
2010 ST1300
What do you guys do about riding pants? When I ride in hot weather, my thighs, groin area, stomach will soak my pants (shorts or jeans) under riding pants. I arrive soaked from the waist down, hot and uncomfortable.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
What do you guys do about riding pants? When I ride in hot weather, my thighs, groin area, stomach will soak my pants (shorts or jeans) under riding pants. I arrive soaked from the waist down, hot and uncomfortable.
I only ride w/synthetic cargo pants. They dry faster, regulate heat better and are thinner than jeans. They aren't typically cheap but you cna probably pack 4 pair in the space it takes to pack 1 pair of jeans.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
I have a pair of cheap Bilt mesh pants that zip to the Tourmaster mesh jacket. I dunno if the Bilt pants are better than Dickies work jeans or not. The are slightly cooler. I have found jeans much cooler than any non-mesh pant.

I would like to step up to a full Motoport mesh suit for hot weather, but that's a lot of coin for something I will only wear for 8 weeks or so. I can wear the Aerostich to work in the summer, its fine at 630am. I just ride home in the Tourmaster and jeans. Not as protected as I'd like, but once it gets over 80-85*F with high humidity, the Aerostich is too much. Its not fun when its I'm miserable, so less protection but much more tolerable. Considering an R3 as the Classic I own is ancient and the R3 supposedly cooler.

OP
OP
Andrew Shadow

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
You can put a bag of ice in the helmet to chill the hat. Carry a new plastic garbage bag, line the helmet, then put in a bag of ice cubes (double layer of plastic to keep liquid water separate from the hat).
Gel ice-packs. No liquid water to deal with. They do not get hard when they freeze like water does so they conform to the shape of whatever you put them on/in. They are reusable. They can also be heated to use as a heat pack for your sore body parts at the end of the days ride. Available in different sizes and shapes at any pharmacy.

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
I live in Louisiana and sometimes it can get very warm here. I find electrolyte drinks make a big difference to how I feel when riding in high heat. I can be in the middle of a concrete jungle at mid day and find considerable relief just by drinking a cold gatorade or two. I still pay for it for a day or two later but it works in the moment to get me home and keep me alert. What seems to matter the most to my body in those situations is electrolytes. But sitting in traffic in those temperatures feels like death is close by, especially when the fans kick in.

Bike
2000 ST1100
I live in Louisiana and sometimes it can get very warm here. I find electrolyte drinks make a big difference to how I feel when riding in high heat. I can be in the middle of a concrete jungle at mid day and find considerable relief just by drinking a cold gatorade or two. I still pay for it for a day or two later but it works in the moment to get me home and keep me alert. What seems to matter the most to my body in those situations is electrolytes. But sitting in traffic in those temperatures feels like death is close by, especially when the fans kick in.
Yeah the real fear is when you run upon a ten mile construction zone and you are duck walking your motorcycle and temps are over 100F! Some car and truck drivers will be a******** and try to crowd you over when you try to use the right shoulder to bypass it. Not realizing that on a 100F day the pavement will be at least 130F:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Homemade Sports/Electrolyte Drink
  • 1 cup lemon juice (approximately six to eight lemons)
  • 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Place in a pint jar or container. Stir to combine (the lemon juice and baking soda will react, so stir it down). Keep concentrate in the fridge. This can be added to 1 gallon of water, or add 1-2 tablespoons to each 8 ounces (1 cup) of water.

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
I use a pair of Firstgear Mesh riding pants. They have armor in the right places and mesh to let air flow through. I only wear LD Comfort underwear on long rides. They are a stretch material that absorbs moisture. With the mesh riding pants, the moisture evaporates real quick. No seams in the sitting area like shorts or jeans. When I would get to a location where I needed to be in shorts or jeans, I would just change into different underwear and outer pants. Most of the time for quick things, I just stay in the riding pants.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
I stumbled onto this stuff at Bj's, with a coupon no less. Works very well, not near as much sugar as the commercial Gatorade, etc. The individual "stick" packages are very convenient and easy to have a few on the machine, jacket, bag, etc. for when you need it. I add half a "stick" at a time to a liter Nalgene bottle.

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
I stumbled onto this stuff at Bj's, with a coupon no less. Works very well, not near as much sugar as the commercial Gatorade, etc. The individual "stick" packages are very convenient and easy to have a few on the machine, jacket, bag, etc. for when you need it. I add half a "stick" at a time to a liter Nalgene bottle.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I've taken a liking to Duluth Trading Co. items... yes, they're $$$ so I only buy them on sale.
Their underwear is actually very effective in managing those sweaty areas on hot days, inside your pants.
When I'm on the road, FirstGear or Olympia mesh britches with padding do a decent job protecting lower body without undue extra hotness.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
But sitting in traffic in those temperatures feels like death is close by, especially when the fans kick in.
Yep. Hit traffic today and the heat index was 113 F. Turned around and went back home.

That's when you wish you could split lanes.

The HD guys don't care, they just blast down the emergency lane. I don't do that...too scared to be hit by the HD guys!

Top Bottom