Sunday, Mar 24th...

Hehe, I live at the coast, not much snow here, but if you drive a couple hours inland, that picture is not wrong.
Yeah, when crossing the plateaus we were wondering why the snow rods at the shoulders are like 4~5m/13~16ft tall... ;)
Gives an idea about the conditions there...

Afternoon all and thanks for the start up Martin.

The overhang looks decent, and kudos on adding the training wheels and fixing the bearings. Good to see a man about the house doing something for a change.

Yesterday's snow was a decent amount, and the plows were having a hard time last evening moving it about. The rains that happened all night however got rid of almost all of it, much to my surprise. It's currently a cloudy -2C headed to a possible +2 later on.

I ordered a new set of Cardo Freecom 2x units last night for Mrs. Obo and myself. Those things are not inexpensive.... and I ordered STella a new battery. Not sure how much use she'll get this year with the new Wing in the stables.

Not sure what today holds but it may involve grocery shopping. That makes me think of @Upt' North. Hope he and Er'Indoors are having a good trip South.

I also hope the rest of you are having an excellent Sunday!

Last Friday evening as I was running an errand, every warning light and electronic systems alert on my CR-V lit up simultaneously. There are more than just the usual Check Engine and low oil pressure light (though both of those are on, too): Electric Parking Brake, Vehicle Stability System, Lane Keeping Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control, Emissions Monitoring, TPMS, Electronic Fuel Injection... and a few more.

So, the car went to the dealer's stealer's shop yesterday afternoon and will remain until Monday. I've agreed to pay over $600 to replace the AC control unit (I don't understand what's wrong with it, and the only info I got was that it was a "Critical Item", making me feel like I had little choice or discretion in the matter) but they still haven't told me what the root cause of the Christmas tree of warning lights was, so I'll have to remember to ask when I collect it. I have about a 10 percent degree of confidence in getting a straight and intelligible answer, and truthfully as long as the dang thing works I'm not likely to care since there's damn-all I could do about it anyway. In the meantime I have a loaner Accord sedan. It's comfortable enough, and entirely adequate to my basic needs, but I do find that I miss the more elevated seating of the CR-V. That's why I bought it to begin with.
I hope that you have better luck than my friend. Report back what the problem was, maybe it will help him.

He has a 2016 Ridgeline that just went off of warranty about six or eight months ago. He received a recall notice from Honda for a problem with the screen going blank due to a defect with the back-up camera. In all of the years that he has had this vehicle the screen has gone blank literally only a few times, but since he received the notice he took it in anyway. He told them that he doesn't really have that problem. They said its free, you're here, why not do it? They replaced the back-up camera to repair a screen going blank problem that he didn't really have and ever since the screen goes blank all the time now. A couple weeks after they replaced the camera he had the same situation as you- every single warning light, check engine light, warning message on the screen (when it worked) is light up like a Christmas tree. He took it back to Honda. They charged him something like $150.00 to do a scan/diagnostic test. They told him that there are way to many error codes to possibly diagnose so they just cleared them all and reset everything and told him to try it like that for a while and see what happens. They also told him that they tested his battery and that it was no good, tested at only 10%. 10% of what they did not explain. They did tell him that a failing battery can cause his symptoms. This seemed strange because it always cranked and started no problem even at -25°C. He spent the money and replaced the battery. All was well for about a week and back to looking like a Christmas tree. He went back to Honda and paid another $150.00 for another scan/diagnostic test. This time they actually told him that they do not know what is wrong, so they just cleared the codes again and did nothing. At this point he has spent close to $500.00 doing what they said to do and they tell him that they do not know what is wrong! I was flabbergasted when he told me that. How in the hell can a Honda dealer get away with that on a Honda vehicle is beyond me. They are supposed to know the vehicle better than anyone else. In all of the years that I worked as a mechanic I have never told a customer that, or heard anyone else where I worked do so. Maybe a particular mechanic working on a given vehicle couldn't diagnose a problem but we didn't give it back and say we don't know what is wrong. One of the other mechanics would help out and it would be figured out. He plans on contacting the Honda area service manager about it.

I don't think that Honda quality is what it used to be. They're diagnostic abilities on their own vehicles, at least in this case, is certainly nothing to write home about for sure.

"We don't know what is wrong..."
Isn't that kind of one step short of saying, "You should have bought a Toyota, or a ... or a ... or a ..."?
Wonder if the actual Service Manager at that dealership is aware of that "diagnosis"...?

Comes in with a flat tire... needs to be put on a scan tool to diagnose why the tpms light is on and it pulls to the left.

Is it the way the new vehicles are being produced or is it the way the new trades people are being produced?

"We don't know what is wrong..."

Isn't that kind of one step short of saying, "You should have bought a Toyota, or a ... or a ... or a ..."?

Wonder if the actual Service Manager at that dealership is aware of that "diagnosis"...?
He spoke with him on the day. He is one of the people who told him that they don't know what is wrong.

Morning all.......
Thanks for the go go juice.
Over cast and a slight drizzle this morning. Good day to stay in.

@Andrew Shadow , your buddy should contact the regional office or national office of Honda and rell them about this case.

No plans today, maybe some car races on tv.

Go have a day, any kinda day you want.
T

hey also told him that they tested his battery and that it was no good, tested at only 10%. 10% of what they did not explain. They did tell him that a failing battery can cause his symptoms.

Perhaps not coincidentally, the first thing the service writer asked when I described my problem was how old the battery is. I told him I didn't recall having replaced it but now that I think about it I believe I have, perhaps a year or two ago. Their diagnostic report mentioned a battery test but said it passed so I don't think that's the problem here.

hope that you have better luck than my friend. Report back what the problem was, maybe it will help him.

(Also posted this in the Tuesday morning thread)

The A/C control unit was replaced. Apparently there's a Honda service bulletin about the issue. I dunno how the A/C control unit and all the other monitoring / alert systems are integrated but that was the diagnosis and the action taken. I'm told the fix is under warranty for a year.

Whether it's actually related or mere coincidentally correlated in time I can't say but I had noticed on Friday evening a new and strange buzzing from the engine compartment, in a narrow band of engine speed and load conditions. To my untrained ear it sounded like the tips of a fan blade lightly rubbing on the surrounding housing. Whether that was the actual cause or just what it sounded like to me (I didn't get out to investigate) I can't say.

Whatever the true origin, it started at the outset of the short (3 mile round trip with an engine-off stop at the halfway point) errand I ran that evening. The warning light Christmas tree alerts began immediately after I re-started the engine at the halfway point.

On the drive back from the dealer the noise was gone, and all remained normal on the dash.

The A/C control unit was replaced. Apparently there's a Honda service bulletin about the issue. I dunno how the A/C control unit and all the other monitoring / alert systems are integrated but that was the diagnosis and the action taken. I'm told the fix is under warranty for a year.
Thanks for getting back to me with this information. I have already passed what you have written on to him. He has another appointment with the Honda dealer on April 1st.

Thanks for getting back to me with this information. I have already passed what you have written on to him. He has another appointment with the Honda dealer on April 1st.

Well, it's now May 7th and the problem just recurred, so either the diagnostic codes are wrong, the AC control unit is dead again (which would indicate some other possible issue, it would seem), or they didn't really fix it the first time.

I failed to notice it at the time, but just noticed your friend had a service appointment on 1 April. Not the most auspicious date for it, it would seem.

Last edited:
Update: the service guy just called to say that today's code has to do with the fuel injection system running too rich. The car is still just inside the warranty window for that, apparently, so he's trying to get Mother Honda to cover not only this incident but also at least part of the original incident back in March since they're pretty obviously related, or at least producing identical symptoms apart from the fault diagnosis code.

I won't hear anything tomorrow but should hear back Thursday sometime.

Stay tuned...

Top Bottom