SupraSabre

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
just an idea, but u could always take the gear into a medal fab shop and see what it would cost to make one from billet aluminium and see if it will fix the issue with it stripping out again.
Several have attempted numerous fixes for these...as far as I know, no solution yet...:(

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Came today:

I had ordered the set of Tupperware from China back in the middle of September. It was $500 for everything, but a tank and saddlebag covers...everything else was included.

I knew the paint wouldn't match, close, but not quite. So I will have a shop paint the red tank I have to match, along with the Black Saddlebag covers from the 2010.

Also looks like I'll be having to modify some of the pieces to get them to fit.

I'll do a write up with pictures later.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
I think you're the first to try the tupperware set from there. Looking forward to seeing how good or bad it is.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I agree, I don't think I've ever seen anyone that got one but we've all been wondering... will be interesting to see how it works out.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Well I hope it is better than the bike I worked on after the owner (a friend of my son) used the China plastic. This was on a VFR.
I really did not like the way it fit and how fragile the tabs were. In my case I had to remove the plastic to repair the oil cooler and do general maintenance and it was awful.

I hope you don't have the same experience.

Hey SuperSaber, did you get the aftermarket headlight as well? I guess I could reread the thread and find out.

Bob in Spokane.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
First impression aren't too great! As I said, the color is off, Not that I don't like the color, I do, just doesn't match the '04 plastic like I thought it would from their website color. Maybe due to my colorblindness...:eek:4:

As for the quality of the pieces, I'm not impressed with them at all. One piece came broke, one of the inner panels. Also the rear cowl was rubbed real bad, so I would have to have it repainted anyway, so I just might have one of my spare rear cowls done instead (better quality). The front cowl is a joke. the four little tabs for the mirror covers aren't enough to hold anything. Might get a spare one of those painted too...

And I have a feeling that the "fit" will be a challenge. I do have a plastic welding kit, if I need to "modify" any of the parts.

Yes, I do have one of those headlights. Thought I'd give them a try. A real pain getting the headlight adjustment motor on. I haven't mounted it on a bike yet though.

This will all be going on my 2004, which will be my commuter once it is back together. So I'm not going to be super picking, but it will be interesting to see how well it all holds up.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Okay, I've taken a bunch of pictures and sent the link (and an email) to the company that I got the parts from, we'll see what happens...

Here are the pictures:

ChinaTupperware

2-2-2017 Fixed the link

Last edited:
OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
On a better note, I received a call from the insurance people on my bike getting knocked over. I'll be getting a check for a hair over 2 grand! :D

Now I'll have to decide what and how I'm going to manage the parts I need to buy! ;)

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
And sorry to say but there's a saying: "you get what you pay for" this is especially true with the Chinese but not the Japanese...
Yep, you got that right! :(

I'm still going to attempt to put it on the bike and see just how bad it is...

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
So I worked on getting the '04 whipped into shape. Had to replace the valve cover gasket first, spent about an hour removing the "glue" (silicon) the previous person applied to the gasket and valve cover! :mad: Got the new gasket in and valve cover torqued to proper spec. Then attached the front wire harness and instruments. Then put some gas in it. I had bought some starter fluid, but it started running within a couple of seconds of hitting the starter button.:wave1:

I let it run for about 10 minutes, just long enough to put a little coolant on the floor (that I didn't see until after I put the air cleaner all back together! :eek:4: So, now I'll be tearing all that back off to get in there and tighten some hose clamps!

I was also able to hook up the BlueSeaFuse block, making a cable coming from the battery thru a 50 amp fuse and relay into the fuseblock. Next I'll be working on a harness for the front to power the horn and tankbag.

I've made progress! :D

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
As stated in the Coffee Club Thread for today (Monday 11/4)

So, it looks like my only three options with this China Tupperware are:
a) Get $50 back from them for fixing the parts (Nope, not going that way)
b) Just eat it and forget it (Nope, not going that way either)
c) Send it back (as long as it's under $500 to ship, which is the refund I get from them when I ship it back!)
PayPal is only going with (c), so that leaves me no option. Guess I'll pack it all back up and take it down to FedEx to return it to them. Leason learned!

My advise to all, don't bother. The stuff doesn't fit, nor do they make it so it fits. I tried mounting the headlight to the upper cowl and their mount, that sits just above the "V" in the headlight is off, leaving a good 1/4 gap between the headlight and the cowl! Since I will have to return it for any $$$ back, and the poor quality of the items, sending it back is my only real option.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Lesson learned ....if it sounds to good to be true....
On a happier note...if you pm me a shipping address and some postage, I send you a used but serviceable k&n filter for it for free.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Lesson learned ....if it sounds to good to be true....
On a happier note...if you pm me a shipping address and some postage, I send you a used but serviceable k&n filter for it for free.
Yep, tried the cheap way and it cost me big time! :(

Thanks Larry, but I have two K&N Air Filters sitting on the shelve now and the one in the '04 is a TT Modified air filter, which is a K&N with the top cut out with a plate installed in the top of the air cleaner (with holes in it) to allow more air. I'm going to try a little experiment and see if the Oil usage drops with the more air flowing through.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Yep, tried the cheap way and it cost me big time! :(

Thanks Larry, but I have two K&N Air Filters sitting on the shelve now and the one in the '04 is a TT Modified air filter, which is a K&N with the top cut out with a plate installed in the top of the air cleaner (with holes in it) to allow more air. I'm going to try a little experiment and see if the Oil usage drops with the more air flowing through.
I would like to know the results too.
I also seem to find more oil in the airbox (crankcase blowby) with synthetic oil?
The delo does not seem to leave as much in there as the mobil or valvoline syn. Did...
Have you noticed this with the free flowing k&n filters?

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I would like to know the results too.
I also seem to find more oil in the airbox (crankcase blowby) with synthetic oil?
The delo does not seem to leave as much in there as the mobil or valvoline syn. Did...
Have you noticed this with the free flowing k&n filters?
Oh yeah, that's why I want to try to get more air into the airbox and see if that makes a difference.

When I was running the K&N in the '05, I was using about 6 OZ of oil every 3K. Just before Justin bought it, I replaced the air filter with the one from the 2010. He had very little oil usage on the trip up. I had a K&N in the 2010 and I used about the same as I used in the '05.

I've put a stock filter back in the 2010 to see if that makes a difference. But also going to the TT modified filter for the '04 and see what happens...got to get it on the road though...

Top Bottom