Texans, Notice! hard freeze due Thur 22nd !

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yep ! ... I guess we'll see if ERCOT made any improvements since Feb 2021 :)

It's 55F here at this moment, but predicted to be down to 15F Thur :/

Our Belgian Warmblood (a horse) isn't gonna be too happy either !
Mornings here in North FL to be in the 20s Saturday, Sunday, Monday though warming to the 40s each afternoon. Hard freezing not far west and north of here.

OP
OP
core-aggie
Mornings here in North FL to be in the 20s Saturday, Sunday, Monday though warming to the 40s each afternoon. Hard freezing not far west and north of here.
Yea, I've had Fox 24 hour Weather channel running on TV and they did say much of Florida will get the hard freeze ... so this will be a challenge for many folks in deep South states !

Ryan_B

Site Supporter
Bike
2016 Honda ST1300PA
All I can say is if winter storm Uri wasn't a wake up call for some people, they will never wake up.

We were fortunate, I have a large family so we always have a weeks worth of food in the house, probably two. I still had a bbq grill and a natural gas cook top to cook with. The city water never quite ran out and froze like most towns in my area. We stayed mostly warm with cycling electrical (couple hours off 45 minutes on for 2 days). However, it was still unnerving being almost completely helpless IF the electric did not come back and IF the water completely stopped.

I prepped a little bit for piece of mind in case of power outages in the summer or winter. Generator and a couple of ac window units, water and several ways to heat and cook. Even if you never need them, knowing they are available is great for your sanity. Just my 2 cents! Hope everyone stays warm, happy and healthy.

Ryan

OP
OP
core-aggie
The countdown is on ... supposed to be up to 60F to noon time, then down to 15F around dinner time

Comparison to 2021
1671684613759.png
Power outlook
1671684661893.png

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
Todd’s side can get extremes here in WA.

18f on this side of the cascades. Inch thick of ice on the water tubs for the chickens - humming bird feeder froze solid - even the dog didn’t want to stay out!
Nothing like last year during holiday week as low as 12f and not higher than 20’s for a week with snow and ice on the ground. This side will warm up to 40’s and 50’s by Christmas. With welcomed rain - well for me anyways

y’all stay warm and safe as you can - try to protect those pipes and outside stored vehicles.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
We were at 47F when I got up at 2am. Dropped from that to 26 in just minutes at 10am or so. 16 just a few minutes ago, then back up to 20F. We may get single digits around 3am Friday. Weather guys agree we won't see above freezing til Sunday around noon.

OP
OP
core-aggie
We were at 47F when I got up at 2am. Dropped from that to 26 in just minutes at 10am or so. 16 just a few minutes ago, then back up to 20F. We may get single digits around 3am Friday. Weather guys agree we won't see above freezing til Sunday around noon.
Wow! Single digits !

Front moving thru here (Magnolia) this very moment ... temp dropped 20°f in about 10 minutes. Weather stations say we should see a low of 16°f by 6pm central.

Highs during day, thru Sun to will hover around freezing and of course drop at night.

In my 65 years in this area, this is pretty rare ... I know folks much farther north are saying, "what, below freezing ain't nothing"

Horse is blanketed ... and you'll notice he's decided to retreat from the pasture to his stall :)
1671743571016.png

Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
Got down to 9°f and -12° wind chill last night, we Texans don't do well in this crap, forecast showing 60's Wednesday, I'm so ready (28° in my garage according to my 1300's gauge)

OP
OP
core-aggie
Got down to 9°f and -12° wind chill last night, we Texans don't do well in this crap, forecast showing 60's Wednesday, I'm so ready (28° in my garage according to my 1300's gauge)
Considering you're north of Ft. Worth, I would have assumed y'all would have experienced lower than 9°f !

It got down to 15° here, with a projected high of 30°. Sub-freezing again tonight and Sat night :/

Supposed to be a high of 70°f on Wed

We are also getting low on propane (25% of a 500 gal tank) ... it dropped 5% since yesterday !! Propane delivery is scheduled for today - fingers crossed they show up :)

Bike
'07STA
STOC #
I live on the south shore of Nova Scotia Canada and we expect to get 2 inches of rain today throughout the night... it's like we are isolated from the rest of the world

Bike
2011 ST_1300 PA
STOC #
Considering you're north of Ft. Worth, I would have assumed y'all would have experienced lower than 9°f !

It got down to 15° here, with a projected high of 30°. Sub-freezing again tonight and Sat night :/

Supposed to be a high of 70°f on Wed

We are also getting low on propane (25% of a 500 gal tank) ... it dropped 5% since yesterday !! Propane delivery is scheduled for today - fingers crossed they show up :)
Dropped down to 9° quick, then just held there
What part you from

Bike
2010 ST1300
Another bizarre thing they do is put the tankless water heaters on the exterior of the house....
Most tankless water heaters are gas fired (some are electric) and need a vent to the outside. This location is cheaper if freezing weather is not expected.
That pipe insulation typically has an R value of 4 or 5 and will NOT prevent pipes from freezing in a protracted cold snap. It will delay the inevitable, especially if there is a heat source at one end of the copper pipe (connection to a traditional hot water tank).

Top Bottom