Texas State Law Now Officially Outlaws Lane Splitting And Filtering

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
How could that be proven? A stopped driver could simply state he was exiting his vehicle to check xx (fill in the blank, ie, tires, tail light, etc.) & some lane splitting biker ran into his door.
You can't just open your car door on a whim, you have to verify that opening the door won't cause any traffic hazard before opening it. In this case, failure to observe the traffic flow around the vehicle before opening the door would put the driver at fault.

I don't have any first hand experience with this specific type of case, but that's the way the law usually works for opening a door in an area with active traffic flow.

And yes, you have the right to be traveling between the rows of cars, so the driver needs to verify that nobody is coming up between the lanes before either opening the door, or changing lanes. If the driver changes lanes into the path of the lane-splitting motorcycle, they can be partially or totally responsible for causing the accident. That part I do have first hand experience with.

TPadden

Tom Padden
'Traffic' in this case could only be lane splitting motorcycles then. I can see a decent lawyer getting the driver out of that one.
Anyone can get a decent lawyer to sue, anytime, for pretty much any damages. 50 states with 50 Vehicle Codes: open your vehicle door into a vehicle, pedestrian, wheelchair, skateboarder, farm implement, or bicyclist anywhere and you can also find out who has the better lawyer. Welcome to the real world...:rolleyes:

Tom

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
There are times when lane splitting AND filtering would be beneficial, but here in the States, road rage is real. And if anything it's getting worse.
People here (many) are just wound too tight, mental health is criminally neglected, and our culture is measurably in decline.
But I'm not gonna let it bother me tonight (Atlanta Rythm Section).
I was sweltering one blazing August day years ago, stuck in stop-and-crawl traffic on the interstate out of Atlanta, and during periods of no-go, I eased the Blackbird along the breakdown lane, slipping into a gap when we began moving again. Drivers were obviously enraged, some pulling onto the shoulder to block me. Even had an 18-wheeler do that sh!t, but all were easy enough to get around. Made no sense to me.
At one point we were again stopped, and I pulled onto the shoulder -- and an unmarked trooper 2 cars ahead flipped on his blue lights. I pulled back into my lane, sat there broiling another 6 or 7 minutes... finally put down the sidestand to walk up and plead my sweaty case, but at that moment traffic began moving again and we didn't stop after that.
On the other hand, tried that another time at about 8mph in the breakdown lane, and sliced a 4- inch gash in a brand new high performance sportbike tire.
No patching that dude, ran over something very sharp and nasty and it was cut sideways almost rim to rim.
I get no respect, I tell ya. (Rodney Dangerfield)
Most laws are less about safety or even common sense... they are about control.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Very true... I'd leave if it did... I hate the heat... no wait, I hate the snow... the rain sux too... and mild weather just makes me nervous about when it will change.
Ha, to find that illusive place of "Just Right"?

TPadden

Tom Padden
Sounds like a bit of a bummer for you Texans.
Filtering through traffic is one of the best bits of being a biker. :thumb:
I wouldn't even visit the kids/ grandkids in Southern California if it weren't for filtering... nevermind, if it's ever outlawed there... I'd still do it (only when it's hot ;)).

Tom

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Sounds like a bit of a bummer for you Texans.
Filtering through traffic is one of the best bits of being a biker. :thumb:
I've never had the need to. I plan my riding around rush hour typically. If I had to commute it might be different but traffic here isn't that bad, nothing like what I've seen in California and those were when it was on the weekend and you wouldn't think it would be that bad.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I was sweltering one blazing August day years ago, stuck in stop-and-crawl traffic

105 F today in Houston (over 110 indexed), getting stuck is no fun, with the monster trucks around you running ACs on MAX.

As Medvedev just said at the sweltering US Open: "Somebody's gonna die"!

But who cares, just a biker.

Following their logic, maybe they'll just start banning riding at all on "excessive heat" days,

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
We don't have it in Ohio, and I don't mind. When I rode out to California in 2014 and lane splitting WAS an option, I took a look at the space down between the rows of cars, and saw how Californians changed lanes on a 45 degree angle before they were even past you, I thought NOPE, that's not for me.

TPadden

Tom Padden
I thought NOPE, that's not for me.
... and on the flip side I honestly don't think I've taken a trip in the last 10 years that I didn't split lanes or use the shoulder at least once on an Interstate. I thought that's why they put out those orange cones and warn me miles and miles before lane closures and accidents. :rofl1:

Tom

Ryan_B

Site Supporter
Bike
2016 Honda ST1300PA
I generally just use common sense when possible and really don't sweat if it is illegal at the time - as long as it is safe for me and I am not risking any one else. Example, years ago on my brother's Ninja 250. I was stopped on the highway in a 100+ degree day in jeans, t-shirt, backpack and a helmet. I had already been riding over an hour+ and I was absolutely cooking. I was in mostly stop (some go) sitting in the fast lane. I lane split/wiggled my way to the emergency lane - cruised at about 20mph to the next exit (<1/2 mile) and pulled over under a shade tree to rest and cool down. I would have had no issues with discussing this with an officer and receiving a ticket if he felt he must, the risk was well worth the reward in my opinion.

Having said that - I currently live in a college town, it is almost every intersection I see illegal u-turns (generally directly in front of me), "left turn from - right turn lane only" or visa-versa shenanigans. Either bad drivers, entitled drivers, or just plain lost as the new school year starts. Not saying I want to add to the chaos, but I doubt an officer is even going to flinch if I safely and predictably try to exit out of congestion in a 100+ degree day. If I am recklessly flying through traffic with excuse I needed to get out of the heat, I would expect a much more severe response from the officer. Once again, common sense here.

Ryan

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
There are times when lane splitting AND filtering would be beneficial, but here in the States, road rage is real. And if anything it's getting worse.
People here (many) are just wound too tight, mental health is criminally neglected, and our culture is measurably in decline.
But I'm not gonna let it bother me tonight (Atlanta Rythm Section).
I was sweltering one blazing August day years ago, stuck in stop-and-crawl traffic on the interstate out of Atlanta, and during periods of no-go, I eased the Blackbird along the breakdown lane, slipping into a gap when we began moving again. Drivers were obviously enraged, some pulling onto the shoulder to block me. Even had an 18-wheeler do that sh!t, but all were easy enough to get around. Made no sense to me.
At one point we were again stopped, and I pulled onto the shoulder -- and an unmarked trooper 2 cars ahead flipped on his blue lights. I pulled back into my lane, sat there broiling another 6 or 7 minutes... finally put down the sidestand to walk up and plead my sweaty case, but at that moment traffic began moving again and we didn't stop after that.
On the other hand, tried that another time at about 8mph in the breakdown lane, and sliced a 4- inch gash in a brand new high performance sportbike tire.
No patching that dude, ran over something very sharp and nasty and it was cut sideways almost rim to rim.
I get no respect, I tell ya. (Rodney Dangerfield)
Most laws are less about safety or even common sense... they are about control.
Seems like some states that like to emphasize how they value freedom are busy passing laws that restrict individual freedoms.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
How can we split lanes illegally, speed without concern, ride on the shoulder, pass on the double yellow line and not consider ourselves the "entitled me me me drivers" we complain about?

Top Bottom