Texas State Law Now Officially Outlaws Lane Splitting And Filtering

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
When I rode out to Santa Barbara, CA a few weeks ago, I wasn't looking for places to Lane Split, they just happen! And when the traffic slows, I just find it naturally to keep going at a reduced speed. Here in Utah, they have "Lane Filtering", but that means the traffic has to be stopped and the speed limit of the road, can't be over 45mph, which is rather stupid.

After all these years of commuting in Kaliforniastan, and even before it was legal, you still have to really pay attention to the cages you are going between. And yes, sh*t happens!

TPadden

Tom Padden
How can we split lanes illegally, speed without concern, ride on the shoulder, pass on the double yellow line and not consider ourselves the "entitled me me me drivers" we complain about?
I'm white, priviliged, male, and only complain about others when they deserve it. It is all part of my entitlement that is listed in the small print on the back of my Social Security benefits card. :thumb:

Tom

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
How can we split lanes illegally, speed without concern, ride on the shoulder, pass on the double yellow line and not consider ourselves the "entitled me me me drivers" we complain about?
interesting, I've never thought of those things as having anything to do with entitlement, simply a risk/reward equation concerning laws I sometimes don't want to obey.

Entitlement would be complaining to the officer who wrote you up for passing on a double yellow that the law shouldn't apply to you.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Seems like some states that like to emphasize how they value freedom are busy passing laws that restrict individual freedoms.
THE downside to irrationally expanding government. Government expansion is sold as necessary when our government(s) are not addressing the real problem with a workable solution. Party cheerleaders will never see what's coming for them at some point.

TPadden

Tom Padden
Entitlement would be complaining to the officer who wrote you up for passing on a double yellow that the law shouldn't apply to you.
Nope; in my case that is commonly known as professional courtesy. :law1: ;)

There are states, Missouri is one, where passing on a double yellow isn't specifically illegal, it has to be an unsafe pass. The solid yellow lines (in Missouri not Arkansas), like speed limits on yellow (curve) signs, are advisory.

304.016. Passing regulations — violations, penalties. — 1. The following rules shall govern the overtaking and passing of vehicles proceeding in the same direction, subject to the limitations and exceptions hereinafter stated:

No vehicle shall be driven to the left side of the center line of a highway or public road in overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction unless such left side is clearly visible and is free of oncoming traffic for a sufficient distance ahead to permit such overtaking and passing to be completely made without interfering with the safe operation of any vehicle approaching from the opposite direction or any vehicle overtaken.

No vehicle shall at any time be driven to the left side of the roadway under the following conditions:

(1) When approaching the crest of a grade or upon a curve of the highway where the driver's view is obstructed within such distance as to create a hazard in the event another vehicle might approach from the opposite direction;

(2) When the view is obstructed upon approaching within one hundred feet of any bridge, viaduct, tunnel or when approaching within one hundred feet of or at any intersection or railroad grade crossing.

Tom

Last edited:
Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
There are times when lane splitting AND filtering would be beneficial, but here in the States, road rage is real
Yes, and U.S. drivers aren't as skilled either. I trust splitting in Europe, S.America and Asia LOTS more than in U.S.

Been splitting in CA for 40-yrs without any issues. The ONE time I wasn't splitting was when I got into trouble. On rare occasion I wasn't splitting and following white Honda in Oakland in normal city traffic. Light turns yellow and she SLAMS on her brakes. I hear chirp of her tyres sliding across crosswalk paint. Immediately get on my brakes, HARD to limit... back end coming up... keep on the brakes... getting closer.... >THUMP< as I hit her rear bumper. Tail-end comes up little more, then back down >thud<! Aah... still upright! :)

If I had been splitting, I could've braked slower and ended up next to her without any problems. Or continued through intersection. Karen ended making big stink how nose of my fairing made mark on top of her bumper. Called cops and all. Poor guy was very annoyed at having to write this up for insurance companies. My insurance company blew her off since wiping a little polishing-compound on was below her deductible anyway.

TPadden

Tom Padden
Thought I'd add a PS to my post to illustrate the differences in state vehicle codes:

Arkansas Code concerning passing is almost word for word identical to Missouri's: No vehicle shall, in overtaking and passing another vehicle or at any other time, except upon a one-way roadway, be driven to the left side of the roadway, under the following conditions...except they have the additional restriction:

(4)
Where official signs are in place directing that traffic keep to the right or a distinctive center line is marked, which distinctive lines also so direct traffic as declared in the sign manual adopted by the State Highway Commission.

Tom

rtbmrgl

Site Supporter
Bike
‘03 ST1300a
I dont lane split if traffic is moving faster than 10mph, stopped ill split. I didnt with my Goldwing, now I do with my ST.
This would be a no brainer, LOL. :rofl1:

Attachments

Bike
2021 R1250RT
Anyone can get a decent lawyer to sue, anytime, for pretty much any damages. 50 states with 50 Vehicle Codes: open your vehicle door into a vehicle, pedestrian, wheelchair, skateboarder, farm implement, or bicyclist anywhere and you can also find out who has the better lawyer. Welcome to the real world...:rolleyes:

Tom
Uh, thanks for the initiation, I suppose. The situation at hand was for a defense lawyer, not a sue happy litigation lawyer. Maybe you missed that. I get it, it's the operator's resp. to look before opening the door. But I venture to state it would be quite unexpected for many drivers to look out for a biker in such a narrow space. I don't suspect many skateboarders, wheelchair bound people, pedestrians, bicyclists, or especially farm inplements, tend to split lanes between cars.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I dont lane split if traffic is moving faster than 10mph, stopped ill split.
I've spilt lanes a faster speed but not by much. I filter every chance I get.

Here in Utah, they have "Lane Filtering", but that means the traffic has to be stopped and the speed limit of the road, can't be over 45mph, which is rather stupid.
That is weird. Were the legislators thinking someone would filter at the speed limit?

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I took it to mean no filtering allowed on any road with a posted speed limit higher than 45.
Exactly. With filtering limited to stopped traffic why would the road speed matter at all? Then the only moving vehicle is the bike filtering. Hence my remark about the speed of the bike. That was part sarcasm but I can't really imagine what the difference would be with traffic stopped on a road with a 55mph speed limit. Stopped is stopped.

Maybe they figure if the rider's timing is off traffic could resume movement before he could make it to the front. Mystery to me.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
If I had been splitting, I could've braked slower and ended up next to her without any problems.
While that is most probably true, avoiding either hard braking or hitting the vehicle in front of you is not a very good argument for the need to have lane splitting. It is an argument for the need to leave more distance between you and the traffic in front of you.

Bike
2021 R1250RT
While that is most probably true, avoiding either hard braking or hitting the vehicle in front of you is not a very good argument for the need to have lane splitting. It is an argument for the need to leave more distance between you and the traffic in front of you.
That's what I was thinking. You worded it well.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
interesting, I've never thought of those things as having anything to do with entitlement, simply a risk/reward equation concerning laws I sometimes don't want to obey.

As opposed to just feeling that the law shouldn't apply to you for some reason, like it does for everyone else... Doesnt matter what the law says, "I choose to disregard it for my own benefit."

Sounds like me me me entiltlement.

TPadden

Tom Padden
It's like the old "trying to describe an elephant to a blind man" story. Until you've experienced bumper to bumper 80+ MPH flow, with 10-15 MPH no reason choke points, right back to 80+ MPH traffic of LA, San Diego, Houston or several other major metropolitan areas; I understand your not understanding. :cool:

There is NO SUCH THING as leaving more distance in front of you: it immediately is filled, you once again have no distance in front, and as you try to increase your distance in front you will be run over from behind. As long as there is no space in front of you to the left or right you are safe in the middle. Don't believe me you are welcome to join me in LA for a few days schooling. :rofl1:

Tom

Last edited:
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
It's like the old "trying to describe an elephant to a blind man" story. Until you've experienced bumper to bumper 80+ MPH flow, with 10-15 MPH no reason choke points, right back to 80+ MPH traffic of LA, San Diego, Houston or several other major metropolitan areas; I understand your not understanding. :cool:

They have HWY 406 and 407 up there which are way worse than the worst of the worst I've seen in Houston. No better place to "Explain a Moose to a blind man". Will never bike there, splitting or not.

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
Sure; modern cars with ABS can stop much, much faster than bikes. In driver's ed, we were taught 2-sec following distance. Should probably be expanded 3-sec now. And you have to add in reaction-time for abnormal braking behavior too.

Top Bottom