Thanks to DJI

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Earlier this month I worked on getting my basic drone pilots license. I passed the test and got 88% ( 65%is a passing grade) my funds were limited so I thought I would investigate the used market as the cost of a new drone with the fly more combo will cost me around $1800 Canadian for the MAVIC air 2s. After some research I settled on a MAVIC Air 2, it was a generation above my MAVIC mini. More features than the MAVIC Mini 2.
Used prices were between $875-$1300 for the fly more combo. I found one for $950 with a hard case and 6 hrs of flight time. The transaction went well, I purchased it for $900, the test flight went well, there was no damage, I was happy.
I spent the next couple of days updating firmware and waiting for the temperatures to be 0C the minimum temperature that DJI recommends to fly in. When I was updating the firmware the drone got rather warm, the fans were running and I got an error message that the rear avoidance sensor was malfunctioning and to contact DJI, which I did. I was to send it in for evaluation. They sent me a free shipping label and off it went.
I received a quote of $91 US which included the price of the part and labour to fix it. I paid it and crossed my fingers hoping that was all that was wrong with it. ( the unit was past it’s warranty period, and the previous owner hadn’t purchased the extended warranty)
To my surprise, a couple of days after I authorized the repair, DJI offered me a warranty refresh package for the repaired drone. This allows up to two new replacement Drones in the event of a malfunction or crash as well as one replacement if the drone flys away and is lost for good.
sign me up, says I. I then proceed to register my drone with the serial number and it’s a no go. Then I checked the email again and discover the serial number is different, so instead of repairing the drone, DJI sent me a brand new drone!
It arrived last night. ;). Too cold to fly today. :(

Attachments

TMF

Bike
1992 Honda ST1100
I've seen great motorcycle cornering video shot by drone. I seem to recall Highway 1 along the coast of California.

Bike
2005 st1300
Thats great news. Gotta love it when you hit on a great deal like that. I have to say, I was surprised at the first sentence. I had no idea that there were licenses to fly drones... learned something new

OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
In
that there were licenses to fly drones
Canada we have three classifications. A basic license allows you to fly a drone in the 250gm to 25 kg range in uncontrolled airspace. There are restrictions, mostly you can’t fly within 5 miles of an airport and you must keep the aircraft in line of sight and you must be 100 ft from the nearest person. The Advance level allows you to fly within 30 feet of a person. The aircraft still needs to be in visual line of sight. There’s a special advance category that allows you to fly in controlled airspace with permission and you can exceed the line of sight rule.
If you’re aircraft is under 250 gms for example the Mavic Mini or Mavic Mini 2 you are not required to register the drone or have a pilots license to operate it, however, you are required to observe the restrictions with regards to controlled airspace and you must maintain visual line of sight. The license came into effect in June of 2019

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
From what I remember, the licensing requirements came in to effect because of all of the A-holes who were causing close-calls with commercial aircraft around airports.
Familiar theme, a few ruin it for everyone.

OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
From what I remember, the licensing requirements came in to effect because of all of the A-holes who were causing close-calls with commercial aircraft around airports.
Familiar theme, a few ruin it for everyone.
One of my actor friends is a pilot, and during the summer he flys as a fire spotter in Northern Ontario. He was telling me that on one occasion the water bombers had to abort a mission to put out a fire because of drones were flying in the area where they’re not supposed to. There are plenty of stories out there.
I’m going to do my best at being a responsible drone pilot.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Does the Mini 2 have "follow me" capability? I have the Mini and have been playing a bit with the Litchi app to see how it will work for "follow me". Haven't really tested it enough yet though.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
One of my actor friends is a pilot, and during the summer he flys as a fire spotter in Northern Ontario. He was telling me that on one occasion the water bombers had to abort a mission to put out a fire because of drones were flying in the area where they’re not supposed to. There are plenty of stories out there.
I’m going to do my best at being a responsible drone pilot.
I remember seeing that story on the news. The licensing requirements are supposed to help trace the owners so that they can deal with them. Just more hassle for everyone else is the likely result.
To bad the water bombers didn't have machine guns mounted on them so that they could take care of the drones right away.

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
Rather than it being good customer service - sometimes it's just good business sense not to waste time trying to repair older products (think of the service techs, the equipment they need, etc, especially for products so old that they are out of warranty).

So often, it's simply cheaper for the business to replace the item than repair it.

The side effect is that it looks like great customer service.

The negative part about it all - just to be that guy - your old drone is probably headed to a landfill site, and does nothing to help the environment.

I have no proof that DJI, in particular, send old repair candidates to landfill - it also makes good sense to recover whatever you can for reuse in newer product lines, they might do that too...

OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
sometimes it's just good business sense not to waste time trying to repair older products (think of the service techs, the equipment they need, etc, especially for products so old that they are out of warranty).
I concur with your thinking. I had bought the refresh plan for my Mavic Mini and I hit a barn...yes I did....um well... the gymbal was damaged. I sent it in for repair. The contract states that they will replace with a new or refurbished one. I ended up getting a new one in that case too.
With this warranty there is a fee. In that case on top of the original fee of $75, I had to pay for shipping and another $50 for the replacement. (which is probably the cost of the drone itself)
For this new drone the warranty was $75, the first incident is $50, the second is $99 and if it flys away and the drone goes missing it will be $329. Nothing is free!

I hope they do refurbish the drone as opposed to putting it in landfill, one can only hope.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Rather than it being good customer service - sometimes it's just good business sense not to waste time trying to repair older products (think of the service techs, the equipment they need, etc, especially for products so old that they are out of warranty).
All true but replacing a second hand out of warranty drone with a new one and then offering the warranty package is good customer service. Repairing a drone and returning it could also add to the turnaround time. Kiltman's drone could then be refurbished at their leisure and offered as a replacement drone to someone else.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
After some research I settled on a MAVIC Air 2....
Yeah... in 2019 I was mulling over a DJI Mavic 2 Zoom 4K...
With Smart Controller, spare batteries, "crash kit", a proper hard-case to pack everything, mandatory insurance and registration I figured nearly € 2000,- in total...

The main issue tough: instead of going by a road-book, I'd need to plan my rides by storyboard... having way too much fun wringing the throttle I dunno if I'm up to this yet... ;)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
After some research I settled on a MAVIC Air 2, it was a generation above my MAVIC mini.
Congratulations on your Air 2! More flight sensors than the mini's 1. That can't be a bad thing. :D The Follow Me mode is pretty cool too.

I just got a MAVIC mini FlyMore kit for $300 to get my feet wet (not that I plan to go "feet wet"). It was half price of the mini 2 FM kit. I didn't want to spend the money on the 2 as a novice especially if the mini ends up in the hanger most of the time. The 2 is a nice upgrade but again $300 more was more than I was willing to spend.

If the bug bites me then it'll probably be an Air 2. That's what I was looking at when it first shipped. The price of the FlyMore kit convinced be to hop before trying to fly. (Thing Greatest American Hero.) And then there was licensing or flying under the radar and that was a chance not worth taking.

If and when I decide to upgrade there might even be an Air 3 or mini 3 so that'll be another decision. If nothing thing else it could allow me to pick up an Air 2 or mini 3 cheaper. I do want a 4K camera and additional flight sensors.

For the time being I won't need the Part 109 test/licensing since the mini is <250g. The firmware is current but I've got a lot of reading to do. I did get that Learner's Permit certification that must be kept with the drone saying I've got an idea of the basic rules for non-commercial use. And I'm supposed to put its number on the drone.

I'll find a place to develop some muscle memory for the flight controls but I'm really looking forward to flying it. I've got a lot of reading to do. There are also great videos on the YT.

OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I do want a 4K camera and additional flight sensors.
In 2.7 k mode the mini produces some rather good images. It is an excellent drone. You will probably have to change the propellers right off the bat, as they warp easily. The back props should be tethered before going into the case. ( the case is the issue. Just make sure the props are folded under each other under the body of the aircraft.)
You will have a lot of fun with this drone.

Top Bottom