The Best Stupid Decision...

Bike
2003 ST1300A
I was going to buy a Goldwing.

Since I was a literal child I've wanted a burgundy 1987 GL1200. Such a niche bike for someone born 8 years later. But it had the improved seat over the 1983-1986, it was a big couch on wheels that just had a certain timeless look; it never would have looked modern, but it would always be difficult to tell exactly when it was crafted.

And the bike was there. I was going to go on Tuesday to pick up the Marketplace find. Had the cash in hand. But my friend wanted to go helmet shopping at the local bike store before she started the search for her bike, and I tagged along.

Don't get me wrong. The Rebel 500 she picked up is great. Stunning olive green, tan leather seats with matching saddlebag. Beautiful bike.

But something different caught my eye. A 2003 (Seriously? It looks like that and it's 21 years old??) ...ST1300? The heck is an ST1300? It feels great to sit on. Comfortable as hell. But I'm also buying my first motorcycle. Part of the allure to the old Goldwing is that it's cheap and if I lay it down, it's both made of the sort of magical steel we collectively complain they don't use on things anymore and it's cheap to fix. And it's not like it's going to have all of its horses anyway.

Long story short, I made this beautiful mistake of buying wayyyyyyy too much bike for my first bike (I used to ride little 150cc dirtbikes when I was a kid, but that's been 15 years or so...) and it's successfully not killed me yet. Smooth shifts, confidence in the ride, and overall great for getting my feel for riding back.

So landing in here and asking for some advice, what should I do with this thing as time allows? It came with a Givi top case with back rest; I've now successfully added an auxiliary fuse box in the case to wire in USB, the top case tail light, and a dome light inside the case. I've added a battery tender, and my GPS/Carplay module comes tomorrow, along with my CrampBuster. Budget isn't so much a concern; I want the balance of fun and comfort to continue on.

OP
OP
tpasco1995
Bike
2003 ST1300A
My advice would be to ride it, or are you wanting to farkle it?
I've been on it for 10 of the last 12 days; just doing the mild electrical touches when it gets too dark to trust other drivers.

Summer plan is to put serious miles on it. Toss a hammock tent in the pannier and do weekend trips to Northern Michigan, Kinzua in PA, and potentially a long haul to Montana that otherwise I'll end up driving in my car. So having some creature comforts for 300-500 mile rides in differing weather conditions would be nice.

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
Greetings & Salutations!!! :wave:

Let's see some photos of your bike!

Aside from usual replacement of all oil & coolant with any used bike, research threads on here for inspecting and bleeding linked-brake system. When maintained, they work great! When not... can be endless headaches... Even dismemberment & death...

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I would say Welcome to the Party and enjoy your ST like the rest of us (as well as other members riding other bikes). You will get used to it soon and it’ll be much lighter on the tires than an older GW (meaning handling wise). I got my first ST in 2000, so I was (relatively) young at 36 years of age.

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
Ah, for creature comforts you could add aftermarket seat, Airhawk, bar risers, larger screen, highway pegs, LED lighting, etc. Welcome aboard, all your questions can most probably be answered here :canflag1::usflag2::ukflag1:

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
Welcome @tpasco1995. If you pay attention to the bike and perform the maintenance, you will have this same smile for a long time. :biggrin:
{EDIT} there are 26 cities named Columbus in the USA. :bump:

Last edited:

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Welcome to the forum from Canuck-land. :canflag1:

As for "upgrades" that make a difference, check out what bulbs you have in the headlight.

The OEM's were woefully under powered. Before the new LED's took hold, many upgraded them to an H4 halogen bulb, which made a lot of difference.

The new LED's though are far superior to all the earlier options.

While you can find lots of LED headlight bulbs that "fit" the ST1300, there are a few specific ones the are recommended by one of our resident lighting gurus.

We (the royal we) can provide you with a list of these preferred LED bulbs. The key is for them to mimic a filament bulb as close as possible so that the headlight reflector puts that extra light out in a controlled and usable manner. Some of the others just puke light all over the place in a pattern that is actually worse then the OEM bulbs.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Welcome to the fold....
This might help you keep the bike on the road...
Pick up a service manual. It's the best accessory you can get for your bike.

OP
OP
tpasco1995
Bike
2003 ST1300A
Greetings & Salutations!!! :wave:

Let's see some photos of your bike!

Aside from usual replacement of all oil & coolant with any used bike, research threads on here for inspecting and bleeding linked-brake system. When maintained, they work great! When not... can be endless headaches... Even dismemberment & death...
So I've gone down the route of hell. (The drill scratches on the side cowl were from the previous owner's cigarette lighter install. I'll buy a new side cowl at some point.)

I tore the bike down, inventoried every missing piece of hardware (trim bolts galore), purchased said hardware from the dealership because I'll gladly pay extra to not have to source weird JIS shoulder bolts, and put it back together. Installed a CarPlay unit, wired in the top box, added a few USB and a voltage meter, and did a fluids check.

IMG_8170.jpeg

Attachments

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Nice find!
I was gonna fuss at you for not posting pictures, but now I won't. You've been redeemed.
Once you inspect / sort the brakes and fluid change and bleed, you'll be happy with it.
And if you're not, you're just weird.
Howdy from Birmingham.

VetteJim

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Hello and welcome fellow Ohio rider! As for OEM parts, there is also partzilla.com and ronayers.com (better). You should be able to get every part on the bike that is available. Bike looks nice!

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
If you find the display hard to read in sunlight Blue Gauges does a super nice upgrade for that lighting. Highly recommend. Sent my display to them and was very happy with the results.

OP
OP
tpasco1995
Bike
2003 ST1300A
If you find the display hard to read in sunlight Blue Gauges does a super nice upgrade for that lighting. Highly recommend. Sent my display to them and was very happy with the results.
I appreciate it! So far I haven't had any issue with the brightness, but I may very well go that direction.

I think the biggest pain point that's not unique to the bike but to not driving a car is the lack of a good spot for a water bottle. Camelbak it is it seems.

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Until you hit a bump...
But admittedly, I don't have a better solution, so it's Camelbak for me if I'm going to drink and ride.

Top Bottom