The Best Stupid Decision...

OP
OP
tpasco1995
Bike
2003 ST1300A
I've been looking at those carplay units. Still around $150 and up for them.
I got this one, and it was just under $100. Really, most of them are manufactured in the same factory and look identical with different silkscreened logos on them, and nothing else, so I didn't feel discomfort going that route. And I have no complaints; works as well as I need it to. Ignore my unread texts, but photo below.

It also uses a standard "Ram" (not really Ram brand but it's a 1" ball) mount, and comes with enough that I was able to bolt it straight down to an excess M6 threaded hole between the handlebars. Routed the wire to the battery along with the brake line, then under the gas tank, and finally under the front seat. The screen pops free from the mount (you lock it in with an M2 captive thumbscrew so it can't just go flying) and there's no power drain I've been able to find when it's disconnected. Didn't feel like wiring it to the fuse box because that sounded like too much work.

Overall really happy. It works with the gloves I have, and also has a stylus tucked into the back that can be used when you have gloves that aren't screen friendly.

Overall, maybe a 45-minute project including wire routing. If I did it again it would take 15.

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
That looks decent. It's not like I need another device, as I pair my Sena 50s to my phone for audio / podcasts / radio / music (NO phone calls!), but y'know sometimes it's helpful to have Google maps available, if my Garmin maps aren't quite current or it tries to go wonky on me. (No, I'm not gonna turn here -- you're LYING to me!)
It still happens sometimes, and of course Garmin is no more infallible than Uncle Google himself, but having a backup navigator is always a good idea. No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy.
And I've long ago quit mounting my phone to my handlebars, but I'll use the map pocket on my tankbags. It's easier to see this device than to look waaaayy-yy-y down to a tankbag, because that requires taking my eyes off the road, and I don't like the voice navigator interrupting the good parts of a podcast or a rockin' song in progress. It wrecks the mood, y'know?

OP
OP
tpasco1995
Bike
2003 ST1300A
That looks decent. It's not like I need another device, as I pair my Sena 50s to my phone for audio / podcasts / radio / music (NO phone calls!), but y'know sometimes it's helpful to have Google maps available, if my Garmin maps aren't quite current or it tries to go wonky on me. (No, I'm not gonna turn here -- you're LYING to me!)
It still happens sometimes, and of course Garmin is no more infallible than Uncle Google himself, but having a backup navigator is always a good idea. No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy.
And I've long ago quit mounting my phone to my handlebars, but I'll use the map pocket on my tankbags. It's easier to see this device than to look waaaayy-yy-y down to a tankbag, because that requires taking my eyes off the road, and I don't like the voice navigator interrupting the good parts of a podcast or a rockin' song in progress. It wrecks the mood, y'know?
This connects to my Sena, and has navigation, audio, podcasts, radio, etc through the phone. Essentially my phone interface but without opportunity for video or texting.

Bike
2003 ST1300A
Congrats and welcome. You have picked the fastest colour. I'd look at replacing the horn. The "meep meep" factory one is s bit weak.

I'd sign up for and attend some STOC events. OhSTOC, ONSTOC, etc. You'll learn so much about your bike and from other riders. It looks like you're very capable to work on and modify, so these events will make it easier to gather ideas and research.

OP
OP
tpasco1995
Bike
2003 ST1300A
Congrats and welcome. You have picked the fastest colour. I'd look at replacing the horn. The "meep meep" factory one is s bit weak.

I'd sign up for and attend some STOC events. OhSTOC, ONSTOC, etc. You'll learn so much about your bike and from other riders. It looks like you're very capable to work on and modify, so these events will make it easier to gather ideas and research.
I see where's one just southeast of me in June and I'm absolutely considering going. Gotta figure out the work balance around that weekend before I can commit to it.

And I'm in the balance of liking the silver, and wanting to do something long term that makes it not silver; unique at the very least. Maybe a forest green vinyl wrap so I can opt to go back to stock later if I want, but still not a "fast bike" colour. Can fix that hideous drill marring on the side panel...

OP
OP
tpasco1995
Bike
2003 ST1300A
As someone that has always kept around a "project car" (in quotes because I'd normally get a half-broken car and just slowly work on making it whole again before getting it bored and selling it) this thing has been a proper treat to me.

The wiring was straightforward as can be; I actually tidied up a lot of other people's messes.

I found where a prior owner had continually misplaced a bolt, and a clip, and a rivet, and a bolt, and a screw, and a... while disassembling the tupperware. $40 later and I've got a slew of new hardware. Partzilla has been a godsend for finding specific hardware part numbers.

Tuesday I had a bad slip and the bike went down. I'm fine; bruised my calf and my ego. Busted a mirror, cracked the housing in a couple spots. $150 later and those are on the way.

And I'm not being facetious. I love that I can just keep fixing this thing. That with a 10mm and 8mm socket I can break the whole thing down in an hour or two in the garage and restart.

So continuing down the line of the best stupid decision, I haven't changed my mind.

Bike
ST1100
Overall really happy. It works with the gloves I have
It doesn't work as a separate device, it works only in the pair with phone, right?

I have a similar but standalone android device, but turns out that it is slow a bit. Sometimes it irritates me when it freezes for a few seconds when you power it up or try to find a new route.

Does you device work well from this point of view?

OP
OP
tpasco1995
Bike
2003 ST1300A
It doesn't work as a separate device, it works only in the pair with phone, right?

I have a similar but standalone android device, but turns out that it is slow a bit. Sometimes it irritates me when it freezes for a few seconds when you power it up or try to find a new route.

Does you device work well from this point of view?
It's not a standalone; it's entirely dependent on my phone for use. (There are a few features on it that it seems can be independent, but they don't appear all that useful) It runs wireless CarPlay and Android Auto, the same interface that newer cars have. That means direct interface with Google Maps, Apple Maps, Waze, music streaming apps, call controls, and only when stationary, you can read and type out text messages.

OP
OP
tpasco1995
Bike
2003 ST1300A
does it work fine? It fully depends on your phone, no freezes, no lags?
I haven't had any lag so far. Granted my use is only in the realm of 50 miles at this point, but it's also an electronic device from Amazon. If I'm disappointed, I'll just pull it and return it at the nearest Kohl's, and I haven't so far.

OP
OP
tpasco1995
Bike
2003 ST1300A
thanks for info. It sounds like it worth to try this device considering it's price)
That's where I was landing on it when I researched. Coming in under $100 meant that it was only the cost of 14 of those damn pin rivets from the dealer. (no, I didn't buy them at the dealer. I bought 100 for $9 on Amazon)

Top Bottom