The inevitable happened...

Well the inevitable happened a couple days ago and I'm just now getting around to admitting it... :oops:

I work late 2 or 3 nights a week (an hour or more after the last person leaves) so the parking lot is empty of cars when I leave. The lot is sloped slightly so I pull in instead of backing uphill to the curb. I leave plenty of room between the bike & the curb so I can turn the wheel and pull out. Well, a couple nights ago I started to leave and something went horribly wrong. I suddenly found myself trying to keep 700 pounds from hitting the ground without success. Now I have a nice quarter size mark on the tip over wing and a minor scratch on the luggage.

The good: The parking lot was empty which meant I had no witnesses. :-D
The bad: The parking lot was empty so I had no help lifting the bike. :(

That sucks. I just had my second drop on my Concours in 7 years (I thought the first would be the last) last Saturday. Broke off the right foot peg 40 miles from home. I'm only 5-07 tall, 29" legs -- so anything slow speed, sloping roads, etc., I have to study and pre-plan for...

I feel your pain but it will get better!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I think I'll have some TOT-STer caps made.. .LOL..

Glad you didn't have worse damage... gotta love those wings.

Plasitic wing $16 your pride priceless... I know how you feel I just did the same thing three days ago..... Good to know you are OK!

Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
Yep! been-there-done-that, a week or so after I had the 1100 tight turning in a parking space at work...used to much front brake.:eek:: ...kinda like on laugh-in when the little guy hit the tree, then just plopped over. I to had no witness nor help picking it up from the right side....uuuummmmp, I'm gonna need some :wt1: train'n the next time I do dat'.

Welcome to the club....Ed ;)

OP
OP
jaster
Yep! been-there-done-that, a week or so after I had the 1100 tight turning in a parking space at work...used to much front brake.:eek:: ...kinda like on laugh-in when the little guy hit the tree, then just plopped over. I to had no witness nor help picking it up from the right side....uuuummmmp, I'm gonna need some :wt1: train'n the next time I do dat'.

Welcome to the club....Ed ;)
With no one around, I thought I'd try the 'correct' method of lifting a bike. You know, the one by a woman in a skirt picking up a bike (back up to the bike, one hand on the bar & other on a grab rail, butt against the seat, then stand up). I managed to scoot the bike some but no actual lifting. As far as I can tell, it either doesn't work or I was doing it wrong.

What did work was my traditional way of picking up a bike. Face the bike, grip the grab rail and the handle bars, then lift with my legs. Bike came right up without too much effort.

Byron

STOC #
It's a big club and growing daily. A lot of us have been there. Two more and I'm an Ace! :)

OP
OP
jaster

First thought after it went down was to check the fairing & mirror for damage. Turned around and looked to see all was well and the wings do their job. I only wish Honda had thought to do something like that for the rear as well so I wouldn't have scratched the bags.

Last edited:
Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
First thought after it went down was to check the fairing & mirror for damage. Turned around and looked to see all was well and the wings do their job. I only wish Honda had though to do something like that for the rear as well so I wouldn't have scratched the bags.
Ya must have really plopped good! I didn't touch the bags, just the case saver cover and buy the way you can remove that and repair with some Davco plastic epoxy(@wally world) and fiber-glass cloth and get the graphite gray at your local paint store. The bags are another story.....

EJ :D

Bike
BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
The bad: The parking lot was empty so I had no help lifting the bike. :(
Sometimes having help isn't very helpful. The guy who'd pulled in front of me and caused me to do a slow-speed, parking lot tip-over was so upset, he immediately jumped out of his car to help. The bike was laying on the left side. Tip-over wing had worked perfectly and no plastic was touching the ground.

I grab the bars and the seat and start to lift. Before I could say anything, the guy grabs the left mirror and POP, off comes the mirror cover, sailing out and crashing onto the asphalt. By this time, I had the bike on the way up and he found something else to hold on to and pushed...that sent the bike upward faster than I was anticipating and he just kept pushing. Yeah, you're picturing correctly...over it goes onto the right side. This time, not so lucky as I heard the right mirror cover grind into the asphalt. :eek:

Fortunately, he was a decent guy and ended up paying for everything to get fixed that got messed up.

Welcome to the true ST owners club!

Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
A black magic marker goes a long way hiding tip overs. I sanded the high parts down first. No longer very visable. If I could keep my mouth shut, no one would ever notice.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #

How 'bout T-shirts?? I've got a buddy with a screen printing company...

Some one's got to have a pic that could be converted to a 1 or 2 color print. We can print them up and sell, proceeds to the site or charity....:p

OP
OP
jaster
Ya must have really plopped good! I didn't touch the bags, just the case saver cover and buy the way you can remove that and repair with some Davco plastic epoxy(@wally world) and fiber-glass cloth and get the graphite gray at your local paint store. The bags are another story.....

EJ :D
I suspect I put the scratch on the bag when I tried to lift the bike the first time. When I put my back into it, I felt the bike scoot an inch or so. If the 'case saver' is that gray piece on the bottom of the bags, then that's what got scratched. I didn't realize it was removable but it's so minor that I'm not concerned about it. It's good to know it's removable & repairable for future reference (hopefully I don't need it).

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Jeez, youse guys are jinxing me! The tip-over covers on STick are now nice, glossy, smooth silver 'stead'a the standard bumpy black. A tip over would result in a complete redo (or a scarred and cosmetically damaged cove, more likely.) :)

So I'm gonna try to keep'er complete til WeSTOC, after that whatever happens, happens. Remember, Mark is calling here 10/10 (looks like a 10 from 10 feet away.) She looks like a 50 year old hooker with too much makeup. ;)

Top Bottom