The New Touring Era Motto Guzzi

Bike
2010 ST1300
I don't understand how they can bill it as a sport touring bike, when it is set up for a trip to the convenience food mart down the road for a candy bar. Made to a price point? BMW and Honda manage to include panniers and a decent windshield, not to mention some hand and leg protection by the fairing from rain and spray.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
May not be what we ultimately think of as a sport tourer, but it's a good looking motorcycle. I'm just not a fan of riding MGs or BMWs. Believe me I have tried. Keep thinking I would like to have one, but test riding them always disappoints me.

Bike
2000 ST1100
More of a lighter weight sport tourer. For me I would like a more robust dealer network and a proven bullet proof engine sorta like my ST.

D_W_L

aka, DL-ST95
Bike
ST1100
This bike gave me many kilometers of enjoyment. Apart from being the prettiest bike I've owned, it was a great tourer. Lots of wind protection, large easily detachable panniers, a comfortable 2-up seat and very reliable. And the floorboards added to that comfort on long distance rides. My only complaint was that it was a bit underpowered. Overall though, my ST1100 is by far the best bike I have ever owned. For me, the new V100 Guzzi doesn't hit the mark as a sport touring bike.

Guzzi.JPG

OP
OP
Upt' North
Bike
VStrom 650
The, "this is not a sports tourer" comments are probably an American thing. In the EU most would call the ST's tourers and this a sports tourer. Hence MG follow the EU perspective that this bike is definitely a sports tourer in their main markets. And I agree, FWIW.
The fact it may or may not come with standard luggage would make no difference to the terminology used.
The screens again may be shorter as standard, or else how will they market the "touring pack".
Bikes like Tipsters would be firmly in the Cruiser classification and the likes of the RT a definite tourer. Not a sports tourer. As for GW's they would go by the term behemoths.
Hope that clears up the East West Divide.
Upt'North.

Bike
2000 ST1100
The, "this is not a sports tourer" comments are probably an American thing. In the EU most would call the ST's tourers and this a sports tourer. Hence MG follow the EU perspective that this bike is definitely a sports tourer in their main markets. And I agree, FWIW.
The fact it may or may not come with standard luggage would make no difference to the terminology used.
The screens again may be shorter as standard, or else how will they market the "touring pack".
Bikes like Tipsters would be firmly in the Cruiser classification and the likes of the RT a definite tourer. Not a sports tourer. As for GW's they would go by the term behemoths.
Hope that clears up the East West Divide.
Upt'North.
Yep. My St1100 has really spoiled me as its the gold standard that I use to evaluate a proper "sport touring" machine. Its just me but my ST has taken me through rain that would drown a frog. Cold cool weather without heated gear. Hot Texas 108 degree weather and has done it with flying colors. It's a no excuse machine. I don't like getting wet, cold or hot and these more open lighter machines.....well lets just say the jury is still out;)

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I agree.
Its just me but my ST has taken me through rain that would drown a frog.
To add to this, I have had two ST1100's and now have an ST1300. It has always amazed me how little I get wet in very hard down pours as long as I am able to keep moving at a decent speed. If I am on open road where I can maintain highway speeds and not have to stop, I don't get very wet at all.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I think sometimes this side of the pond has a hard time grasping the different riding 'dynamics' across the pond. Simple example - road distance (and a couple of ferries) from Moscow, Russia to London, England is about 1,800 miles+-. That distance won't get you from coast to coast in the USA. One of the 'longest' routes in the UK is from Lands End to John O'Groats - 874 miles. If I ride the Natchez Trace down and back I've gone farther than that. ;) With the price of fuel so much higher over there, their 'long distance' rides are a lot shorter than ours and the needs are different. So IMHO most of the new bikes end up on the 'sport' side more than the 'tour' side because they do have some very excellent, challenging roads and what we think of as 'long distance' comfort is not such a big need.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
There are those that would say no motorcycle with "Sport" in it's name should ever weigh more than 600 pounds, or have a drive shaft.

There are those that would say no motorcycle with "Tour" in it's name should ever come without full luggage, a large windshield, shaft drive, a centerstand, cruise control or carry less than 5 gallons of gas in the tank

The sport touring market is a weird one, in that people want the best of both worlds when that is literally impossible, so manufacturers do the best they can.

The MG above is not a "sport" bike (weighs too much and has shaft drive), and it is not a "touring" bike (not enough ammenities), so what is it?

Stick some soft luggage (or hard if you wish) and it pretty much fits the bill of a sport-touring bike. Relatively sporty but still capable of light touring.

One of my favorite sport-touring bikes I owned, was a Gen 1 FZ-1. Light weight, big power, nearly 6 gal gas tank, small fairing & shield, center stand. I liked it a lot. Throw some soft luggage on it and ride it cross country if you wish, and still plenty sporty in the curvy bits with 125 hp and weighing in at 458# wet. In order to put more "Tour" in it, with hard luggage, shaft drive, cruise etc it became an FJR, also a nice, bike but then it weighed over 630 pounds, which took a lot of the "sport" out of it.

Sport-touring bike...hard to define, even tougher to build.

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
Like the bike.Don’t like where the front turn signal lights are though.There l found 1 thing not to like about that bike.

Lets take it for a test flight.

Top Bottom