This oil is not Energy or Resource Conserving

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
NOT NECESSARILY TRUE
2C5FF8BE-DED0-4AB9-8BBB-D246EC6BEEF1.jpeg0B8DB395-931C-405C-A156-7A18A6E7EF37.png

I don’t know much about it yet. Anyone?

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
how do you know it’s not energy or resource conserving now since they are not required to state so on oil containers?

OP
OP
ASPC
Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
how do you know it’s not energy or resource conserving now since they are not required to state so on oil containers?
They are no longer required to state it on the container ?:mad:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Nope, been that way for the past few years.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
It seems that if it were energy-conserving/resource-conserving they would want to list it on the label.

Whether required or not, I can't see any reason they would purposely leave it off.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Search some of the oil threads and internet, the oil companies are no longer required to state it, or warn folks.
It’s just the way it is now.

rogo

Site Supporter
Bike
'05 ST1300
2024 Miles
I suspect any current motor oil to be energy conserving that is not labeled JASO MA.
Plenty of choices out there, even my tractor oil.

OP
OP
ASPC
Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
It seems that if it were energy-conserving/resource-conserving they would want to list it on the label.

Whether required or not, I can't see any reason they would purposely leave it off.
They say it is on the 10w30

CD8ADFA0-974E-4F55-8153-AB4DD1AF7755.jpeg

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
The lack of energy/resource conserving on an oil container label no longer is any assurance that the undesirable friction modifiers are not present. Depending on the oil classification and service rating, the label is no longer required to state it or is no longer allowed to state it. Many oils may no longer state this, but they may still be harmful when used in a wet clutch application.

Not only have the oil and service ratings changed, so have the labeling requirements and standards. Everyone can do as they wish, but understanding your choice has become more complex. This is why I keep reiterating that claiming compliance to JASO MA and being certified as a JASO MA oil is not the same thing.

OP
OP
ASPC
Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
“O.K., I got a reply from Mobil/Exxon and the 15W-50 silver cap is not energy conserving. Here is the email: Louis, This is a typo, the 40 and 50 weight motor oils cannot meet the energy conserving requirement as their viscosity alone will not allow them to meet the stringent fuel economy requirements. -- Thank you for choosing ExxonMobil products. If you need further assistance, please contact ExxonMobil at 1-800-ASK-MOBIL -Matt Jacob”

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
They say it is on the 10w30

CD8ADFA0-974E-4F55-8153-AB4DD1AF7755.jpeg
And so? If they say it, then it is. If they don't say it then it isn't... most likely.

I'm missing the point your making, unless you mean we should just look at the label to make sure that it DOESN'T say it.

OP
OP
ASPC
Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
And so? If they say it, then it is. If they don't say it then it isn't... most likely.

I'm missing the point your making, unless you mean we should just look at the label to make sure that it DOESN'T say it.
Because it was pointed out that labeling an energy conserving oil as such is no longer required.

Bike
R1200rt
Because it was pointed out that labeling an energy conserving oil as such is no longer required.
what are you trying to do ? Find some magic oil that does what? Mobil 1 euro is more expensive than most of the diesel oil that many use. No it's not JASO Certified but it meets JASO standards. Molybdenum is one of the anti friction modifier used in many oils in different amounts. Too much moly is bad for wet clutches.

OP
OP
ASPC
Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
what are you trying to do ? Find some magic oil that does what? Mobil 1 euro is more expensive than most of the diesel oil that many use. No it's not JASO Certified but it meets JASO standards. Molybdenum is one of the anti friction modifier used in many oils in different amounts. Too much moly is bad for wet clutches.
Mobil 1 Euro 5W40 is $24.00 for 5 quarts.

It depends on the type of moly. We really need to stop saying moly causes clutch problems. For example Redline 10W30 motorcycle oil has 130 ppm moly.

I am looking at different oils to see if I can find one with a good additive package. Preferably synthetic, without paying a high price.

There is a lot of disinformation about oil on this site. I would like to see people have more options and proof of why a particular oil is good or bad.

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
R1200rt
Mobil 1 Euro 5W40 is $24.00 for 5 quarts.

It depends on the type of moly. We really need to stop saying moly causes clutch problems. For example Redline 10W30 motorcycle oil has 130 ppm moly.

I am looking at different oils to see if I can find one with a good additive package. Preferably synthetic, without paying a high price.

There is a lot of disinformation about oil on this site. I would like to see people have more options and proof of why a particular oil is good or bad.
which one is the good moly and which one is the bad moly? Did you hear how many ST's blew up from using the wrong oil. Rotella 15/40 has less than 5 ppm. There is no spec on how much moly is acceptable. There have been clutch failures on this site but I don't believe anyone has actually sent the clutch plates out to examine the moly content in the plates and if that was the reason for failure or if it was just worn out. Raymond has over 200k on a st1100 and I think I remember him using Rotella ( I could be wrong) Don't worry a diesel oil will have a good additive package, those trucks go over a million miles. don't try to reinvent the wheel.

OP
OP
ASPC
Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
which one is the good moly and which one is the bad moly? Did you hear how many ST's blew up from using the wrong oil. Rotella 15/40 has less than 5 ppm. There is no spec on how much moly is acceptable. There have been clutch failures on this site but I don't believe anyone has actually sent the clutch plates out to examine the moly content in the plates and if that was the reason for failure or if it was just worn out. Raymond has over 200k on a st1100 and I think I remember him using Rotella ( I could be wrong) Don't worry a diesel oil will have a good additive package, those trucks go over a million miles. don't try to reinvent the wheel.
@Igofar was saying Rotella appeared to be causing clutch problems. Due to a new formula? And that is not because of moly.

Because things change, we should periodically review our options and look for new ones. This causes problems with the status quo.

Top Bottom