Thoughts on new VFR1200F after seeing one today...

STOC #
Well, just got back from spending about 6 hours at the IMS show here in Greenville with some riding buddies of mine and after looking at what was new for this year, I headed to the Honda display to see the new VFR in the flesh. Had quite a group of people hanging around it, so at first glance, did not see a lot of it but when the crowd thinned out, I got a real good look at it. My thoughts on the bike without having it out on the open road under it's own power:

1. Lot of plastic (which in and of itself is not a problem for me as I ride an RT), but the plastic is of a quality that reminds me of a child's toy, very soft and pliable, kind of like the body panels of a Saturn. But also of a quality that doesn't feel or look substantial... the chrome accents around the front of the bike feel and look cheap for some reason. I can't put my finger on it, but I think the ST1300 is a slightly more substantial piece of machine with respect to the fairing and such.

2. The seating position is VERY sportbike-like. And the bars are funny for me, in that they are angled in, forcing your hands to grip them in a way that forces your elbows into your sides. Not comfortable for me at all, and I have been on a few bikes such as these before. Upon reaching for the bars, instantly the pressure on the wrists was telling... not a bike that I could live with in that setup... some bar backs and rotating out of the grips would be in order.

3. Light bike for what it is... and nice shaft drive setup, reminds me of the K1200/K1300 shaft design with it being on the left of the bike, a single sided swingarm, and long wheel base.

4. After talking to the American Honda Rep directly about a few things, I am wondering if they are going to sell a lot of these because of one factor: Price. The demo there was the non-Automatic model and had no bags or any type of accessory (heated grips, power plug in, etc.) and he said the price was going to be around $16,000.00. My first thought was yikes, that is BMW territory with the K1200S or heck, even the current ST1300/FJR1300 with electrically adjustable windshield and bags and a more complete touring package. I just don't see it. I bought my RT for not much more than that and while not a screamer that the VFR is, it is a more complete touring bike. To spec out a VFR with some comparable equipment, then it must me close to $17,500-$18,000. I guess you are buying all motor there. And interestingly... they had an 09 VFR Interceptor there as well, but NO ST1300... strange.

5. Lastly, after sitting on and staring at the VFR, I headed over to the Kawasaki booth and checked out the updated Concours14. Now that floats my boat! The four of us each sat on the C14 and were impressed... if I were in the market for a new bike and couldn't swing another RT/GT, the Connie just went to the head of the list (unless Honda is still holding back on us with the VFR1200T model).

And a side note... the show was packed to the gills with people, not what I expected with all the tales of woe for the motorcycle industry (although I wonder how many there in attendance are in the market for a new bike). Still, it was good to see the show with a lot of people on the floor.

Well, that is my take on the new VFR...

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I sat on the VFR1200 and the NT yesterday at the Greenville show also. The seating position on the VFR felt pretty good to me. However, at the prices that they had on both of them, I'd be buying a used ST if I was in the market.
I also talked to the Honda rep about a possible "T" model. He said the one I was looking at was it and bags would be available. I then asked about cruise, electric windshield and such and he said that Honda would listen to customers and maybe add things later. I then asked him if they had been listening to ST customers since 1991 wanting factory cruise and he didn't have much to say after that. He really didn't sound like he wanted to be there to me.

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
If the VFR is $16K naked, the "T" version, with bags, adjustable shield, airbag and crumple zone is going to be..... a lot more than I'm willing to pay for a bike.

I haven't seen the new Connie yet, but based on what I've read it sounds like Kawasaki listened to the public's comments and have made some significant improvements. Honda seems to listen to no one.

At the rate things are going, I don't think my next bike will be a Honda.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Yamaha and Kawasaki both listened to their customers and made changes in the 2nd or 3rd model year of their ST bikes. Honda did give us the adjustable windshield has a standard option, but other than that, they hear nothing.

jdpfms

JD Power
Bike
ST1300A&FJR1300
"I also talked to the Honda rep"

Right there was the biggest problem. :) I have yet to see or talk with any of these "reps" at anyplace whether it is Daytona or bike shows that truly knows anything of any value to me. :( I'd say they are about as helpful as most dealers are which isn't saying a lot ;).

JDP

Bike
2009 VeeStrom
STOC #
"I also talked to the Honda rep"

Right there was the biggest problem. :) I have yet to see or talk with any of these "reps" at anyplace whether it is Daytona or bike shows that truly knows anything of any value to me. :( I'd say they are about as helpful as most dealers are which isn't saying a lot ;).

JDP
You summed up my experiance with Honda show reps exactly. That in itself shows you Honda has not learned what Yamaha and Kawasaki have.
When given a forum such as a show or internet forum to listen to your customers you should listen intently whether the feedback is negitive or positive.

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
The reps typically know little more than the pretty girls often accessorizing the motorcycles on display.

It cracks me up every time I read how Yamaha and Kawasaki listen and Honda doesn't. The FJR and the C14 both had some serious issues that really needed to be addressed. Neither of those machines should have been released to the public with their original issues. BTW, it took Yamaha five years to fix the FJR. Is the ST1300 perfect? Definitely not but it also doesn't have any serious issues.

BTW, I always have an eye out for my next bike. It will be when I find something better than the ST1300.

Ray

Bike
2009 VeeStrom
STOC #
The reps typically know little more than the pretty girls often accessorizing the motorcycles on display.

It cracks me up every time I read how Yamaha and Kawasaki listen and Honda doesn't. The FJR and the C14 both had some serious issues that really needed to be addressed. Neither of those machines should have been released to the public with their original issues. BTW, it took Yamaha five years to fix the FJR. Is the ST1300 perfect? Definitely not but it also doesn't have any serious issues.

BTW, I always have an eye out for my next bike. It will be when I find something better than the ST1300.

Ray
I do not believe anyone in this thread was implying that the ST had "issues". I believe the thoughts are more along the line of Yamaha and Kawasaki adding creature comforts that their owners communicated to them were needed.
I'm hoping that the fact that no ST's have been at this years shows is a sign that something new is just around the corner.
I agree something a lot better for the same or less money and reliability will have to come along to get me to give up my ST, and I'm hoping that is in the form of a total make over ST.

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Thanks for the report, Chris. I didn't have an opportunity to ride over there. When my ST falls apart,,,,,no it won't be a VFR 1200. It is leaning way too much towards sport than touring for me. And the price is not appealing for what you get. (this is just by reading, doing R&D and looking at pictures) If the ST1300 is no more, it would probably be a C14 or an RT.

skyboybry

Hi-Hi!
Bike
Sparkles
STOC #
Sounds to me like Honda is listening to their customers, they came out with a better VFR, and a lighter and a more powerful possible ST replacement platform. Isn't that what most of y'all have been b!tchin' about your STs? Too heavy, other bikes have more power.. waaa....:shrug2:

Isn't Honda the biggest motorcycle manufacturer? They didn't get that way from not doing research. I'm probably wrong though. :confused:

sbB

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I am very happy with my ST I have a bit over 83 K on her and I see no reason to think about giving it up yet. I am sure I can get at least anothe 75 to 80K miles out of her. The bike has more than enough power for me and its paid for. All this talk about the VFR is interesting in that I do not see the need for more power on a touring bike. If Honda is not offering a Sport tourer when I am ready for a new bike I will look at BMW or Kawasaki. Until then I am just gonna ride my ST!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The VFR is a sport bike. I believe, at least here in the States, it's always been in that category. So, the cheap plastic feel is something I find in common with most sport bikes.

I like the looks of the both the new and old VFR. The price is a bit steep on the new one but you are getting a lot for your money, albeit not thick plastic. You are getting some technology there that is very cool.

I like my ST and it's also paid for.. that's a tough argument to get past when looking at any new bike. Like Steve, I'll hang on to mine as long as I can. I can see 150k an easy mark to hit with this bike and really, it will go quite a bit more... but, the temptation of other bikes just might overwhel me at that point. LOL

If Honda stops the ST and doesn't redesign it at all... that's going to be tough... if they did that today and my current ST was something I wanted to replace the Connie and FJR would be my big contenders... as Chris said, the improvements to the C14 are really making it a great Sport Tourer..

Of course... that also means the used market will be nice if you still like your ST1300... there will be some really great deals, assuming the model meets it's demise... but, just doesn't make sense to me.. With the other Sport Tourers.. Not Sport Bikes.. out there, Honda needs to address that and I don't believe it will be with the VFR... just my opinion.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I hope you are right Joe I have a hard time believing Honda will abandount the Sport Touring bikes. I know we are a small market but we seem to be a very loyal one.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Price is an issue with any new purchase but I've saved so much by STicking (pun intended) with the same bike(s) for so many years I can now afford anything I want.

o STick, purchased used in 93 with 23K miles for ~$8K, including a new extended warranty (never used it.) She now has 184,000 miles.
o ReSTored, purchased totaled in 03 with <30K miles for $875. Lifetime warranty from PO. Unfortunately, the small print said "life of the failed component", a touchy legal point. :)rofl1:). She now has ~170,000 miles and a cracked block. "She" will rise again as STanley (as in STeamer.) First sex change ever on an ST.
o Yam, my dual sport XT-350, puchased in 04(?) with <2000 miles for $1700. She's been a trooper. Only problems have been induced by her bad mechanic (me). She's currently awaiting parts.

I've spent more on gas 'n tars the last 3 or 4 years. Don't expect that expense to drop much this year. I'd rather pay that price than interest charges on a new-bike loan. However, I haven't had a new bike since 96 (95 left over VFR.) I'm officially in the market but the (STill phantom) VFR-1200-T is the only thing on the market that floats my boat.

Bike
ST1300
I visited the show in Detroit and had the same experience. Friend of mine is looking to buy and really wanted to see the new Honda. He currently has a BMW RT 1100. He came away impressed with the updated C14. I have an 09 ST, so I am not looking right now, but Kawasaki did modify and improves several things on the C14 that were reasons I chose the ST, such as mirror position, gas mileage, and weather protection. Kawasaki still needs to work on the passenger accommodations, but it would be a much tougher decision comparing the 2010 C14 to the ST1300.

Top Bottom