Thoughts on new VFR1200F after seeing one today...

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I hope you are right Joe I have a hard time believing Honda will abandount the Sport Touring bikes. I know we are a small market but we seem to be a very loyal one.
There are patent drawings out there for an airbag equipped bike with the same basic powerplant and rear end as the VFR1200F, but with more coverage, feet tucked behind the fairing, tipover wings, a larger windshield, longer bars...it's out there, it's just a matter of when it gets here and whether we'll need to sell the house in order to acquire one.

I like what Kawasaki did to upgrade the Connie. Still not crazy about the electronic key, still think it looks too wide, but it's a real contender. I've been really happy with the Versys, my first Kawasaki, and I could envision another.

Of course, that's my winter brain working there.

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #
Well at least some of you got to sit on the new VFR. The Calgary show had it rotating on a pedestal. No touchy,feely opportunities but I did have a conversation with an upper management type who claimed the VFR was going to be the platform for the next ST. His launch date was late 2011. The VFR-"T" would come with bags, DCT transmission,ABS, and electric windshield. He claimed that Honda would have accessories such as Heated grips, top trunk as add-ons. He also said the St1300 motor would be dis-continued when the VFR-T was launched. That's a shame. It's a real jewel as far as I'm concerned.
He's also a real fan of the Varadero, he did a trip from Toronto to Innuvik and he implied that that bike was an apt replacement for the ST. Adventure-Tourer with chain drive,ABS and real accessories from Honda? Maybe. Or not. I guess we'll have to wait and see. Cheers Marty

In my opinion , this bike will be looked back on as a major screw up . Much like the .45 GAP round that Glock came out with a few years ago . This bike doesn't FIT anywhere . It's the notasportbiketourercruisertolittlebikeforthemoney model .

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
At the rate things are going, I don't think my next bike will be a Honda.
+1. My brand loyalty has finally been trumped by my recession-bound-wallet.

I believe my next bike will not be a VFR. It will not be an ST. It will be what ever slightly used Sport Touring motorcycle is available that suits my budget.

I'm shocked, like Chris was, at the price of the VFR - and all motorcycles this year, actually. I believe the popularity of motorcycling and sudden surge of ownership is having an effect.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Triumph might be a good alternative brand given the dollar's strength against the Euro and Pound right now. It will all change a couple more times before I'm in the market again. 4 bikes in the garage, 3 ready to ride and one to work on. Life is good. :D

Lanny

Former Rider
Bike
None
STOC #
I too think the bike is too expensive. It's not a Sport Touring Bike, but It looks like it would be a blast to ride as a Sport Bike.. Just my .02

FJRHank

"Scooter Pimp"
I too think the bike is too expensive. It's not a Sport Touring Bike, but It looks like it would be a blast to ride as a Sport Bike.. Just my .02
Actually, the VFR has always fallen into this 'tweener' category. It really is a sport touring bike but clearly more Sport then touring. So it would go like this:

VFR: SPORT Touring

ST: Sport TOURING

I've had 2 vfrs and 1 st1300. The vfr riding position is pretty tough, but it's not as tough as a true sport bike. In some circles the vfr is considered the "old mans sportbike".

So while you can tour on a vfr, it's not easy. But the advantage is... when you get to the twisties (assuming that's your goal ;)), you can rail through them much faster then on an ST (again, assuming goal).

I'd contend the new VFR certainly does have a category that people like, very much like the BMW K1300s. I certainly like it but can't tour on it for very far, but that usually suits my needs ;)

Regards,

Lanny

Former Rider
Bike
None
STOC #
I did sit on one at the Greenville SC Show and it most certainly had a more aggressive riding position the the VFR800's I've ridden...

Bike
06 ST1300A
Went to the UK VFR1200F launch last night here in the UK. Spoke to the Honda UK Communications Director and asked about the rumoured VFR1200T at which she pointed at the "F" and said "that's it"; and as for the VFR1200X (BMW GS Buster) she said "go buy the Varadero".

The bike does look a lot nicer in the flesh but as an ST replacement it certainly falls short as a tourer on the luggage side and the distance between fill ups isn't that reassuring. Given the price point of ?11,500(gbp) for the naked version I'd rather stretch for a proper tourer.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
No way they're gonna give away all the details on the T before the F hits the showroom. I'm holding out for the T as an early 2011 model later this year.

Hate to think, tho, anyone would give up waiting for the T and get the F only to have the T arrive a month later. That'd P me off big time! (

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
The designer of the VFR1200F was interviewed in RIDE magazine and they specifically asked him about a touring model and he said it was certainly possible, but wasn't currently in the works. That's certainly disappointing if that's the case.

STOC #
I wouldn't be shocked. It's the magazines (MCN UK) that keeps showing pictures of a touring model. Honda has not dropped as much as a concept image of a touring model (that I recall.)

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
So far Honda has said they will offer bags, and a different windshield for touring. Maybe a top box too, I just don't recall for sure.

It would be just about right if it just had an electric windshield.

Ray

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
So with a larger windshield for touring... loaded down with luggage to tour... 85mph or so spirited riding... wind... and the reported fillups for those miles during testing the bike :confused: WOW... that will bite :(

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
Yeah, I agree. Everything else aside, the gas #s kill it for me. It's what makes me hesitant on the C14 even.
I can squeeze 200 miles now... even with that HUGE VStream at 85mph... maybe the VFR will need to be broken in, who knows... my mileage got better after 8500 miles... my ST did too :)

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
I got to see the new VFR for the first time today at a dealer while I was having my tire re-mounted. They put it on back wards the first time. I have to agree with Chris Parker on some of his points. I didn't walk away with that "oh man, I gotta have one of those".

I, too, noticed right off the bat the quality of the plastics. Very cheap looking in my eye. It was like comparing the dash board in a Chrysler product to a Mercedes.

There's been several comments about fit and finish being very good. It is good but I can't honestly say it is any better than my 2006 ST1300. The dash is a real let down for me. It may have all the needed info available but it just looks unfinished and under developed for such a techno-masterpiece.

I sat on it briefly. I think Honda is finally figuring out they can't use that Walmart foam for the seats. This new seat feels more substantial. I don't know that I could click off 200 miles but it felt firm enough to support me. The seating position is fine. I didn't feel all that hunched over if I closed my eyes. If I look at that big heaping tank in front of me it gives the illusion of being all bent forward. Not to mention my table manners rubbed the tank heavily.

I am very biased toward Honda. I think you will never go wrong buying a Honda product of any kind. Lawn mower, gen set, car, bike, weed eater, etc. But as far as flash content the competition has them beat. If I bought a new VFR it would be because of the mechanical aspects not aesthetics.

I'd have to find a way to sell myself on the VFR. It so close to a crotch rocket why not just buy a CBR. It's not a "touring" machine by my standards. Don't mis-understand, I'd love to have one. CycleTrader is listing some at $13,800 OTD.

Also sat on a NV700. Not for me. I'm looking for more Horsepower not less. After riding an ST1300 with cast handlebars seeing the chrome tube bars really is a turn off. Funny how something so inconsequential can ring that loud in my mind. That machine is almost all plastic. It's more a big scooter to me.

Top Bottom