Throttle problem

15Sep07:
I guess yesterday on the way home I was harder or it was hotter than the day before. As I was getting to my house I felt her hesistate at consistant throttle :+{.

By the time I got on my street she was in the throws of acting up again. I road around the subdivision and she just got worse classic not pulling, twisting throttle till 4,500 and then taking some load but running rough, darn!

I have a new set of coils, so I guess that will be my next step. Anyone tried changing coils without pulling the middle cowls? Maybe raising the tank and pulling the top bolt in the vent will give me enough room? Anybody know the plug wire diameter and type?

I have to farkle my Buell first, Amplirider and Gerbing jacket outlet.

Time2Play
Neil S.

I am no expert on this, but I am looking at a 06 abs, which had a misfiring problem in the heat of the desert roads. the diagnosis was a loose wire in the ecu (white plug, 3rd wire from right, red strip on green wire). I wonder if you ever checked the ecu wire plugs.

Thanks for the hint. I have not checked that specific wire but i have swapped ECMs and closely inspected the plugs. Guess I'll be checking that green wire with the red stripe.

Thx
Neil S.

BTW, my ECM plugs are grey and black.

Update 25Sep07:
Over the weekend I looked at the ECM plugs/ wires and could see no issues.

After talking with the SM today I'm taking the ST to the Dealer tonight and let them install new coils and a fuel pump/ filter. Time will tell, especially when you throw in a good dose of heat.

Neil S.

If you let them change two different systems at the same time you won't know what system caused the problem.

Spoken like a man who works on gear and troubleshoots for a living...

Yep, I have a hard time telling my guys that I know it takes longer to change each card one at a time, but that is the only way to "Fix" the problem not just make the equipment work.

Im kinda new here and have yet to have a problem on my ST, but my old fzr had a similar elect. problem. The solution was no where to be found. I ended up strappin a multi meter to my tank with the leads on different wires until I hit the right one. It turned out to be the fuel sensor, read empty and would shut the pump off for a few seconds or a few minutes. Ya just never know
it was an 8 day process but it worked. BTW it's gotta be the coils is all I heard from the "experts"

At this point in time I would settle for being able to point my finger at two objects and say "One of these two fixed the problem.". At least it would be a 50:50 bet which one was the issue.

It also could be a combination of factors where you have two compromised components that would not fail if either one was close to 100%.

Yesterday on the trip to the dealer Indigo acted up the same as she had previously so........ she is still not fixed.

Anyway, thanks to this board and others, I have been offered up some very good suggestions and outright help physically and actually swapping parts from their personal ride. Unfortunately, my patience has not been rewarded with a resolution. I feel like the two Buzzards sitting on the fence: "Patience my A$$, I'm gonna KILL something!"

Maybe Friday it will be solved but, I doubt if I'll be able to tell since the weather is cooling off. At least I'll be able to ride and enjoy the autum with my new Bride.

Time2Work
Neil S.

06Oct07 Update:
Sorry for the delay but I got married a week ago and I have been um, ahh, oh busy.
:04biker:
Last Tuesday my Wife and I ran ~200 miles in 86-88deg weather on some very technical roads and some just plain nice 2 lane roads. So after running this distance with this load at this temp, Indigo just ran GREAT! Not a hiccup, stutter or belch.:)

A few days before the dealer replaced both coils and the complete fuel pump assembly (pump, filter(s), lines).

Do I dare say she is cured??????????????? I'm 90% sure that she is cured, but.............

Well maybe tomorrow we will try some more miles at a little higher temp.

Later
Neil S.

08Oct07:

Thanks for the congrats!

Today was 93 deg on the way home. 50+ miles from work, plus another 20 down 386, it's was a total of 70 miles. After that I let her sit in the garage for another 20 mins. After all this, she didn't act up at all. :)

So I'm pretty confident that she's cured! I must admit that Sloan's here in Mufresboro,TN has been great about working on these issues.

Time2Roll
Neil S.

I would also like to know which part was the culprit. I doubt there is an easy way to test the fuel pump assembly off the bike, much less at an elevated temp. The coils can be tested but, if you remember, the issue only reared it's ugly head at elevated running temps. They might be able to use a heat gun on the coils for an hour or so and get them cooking before running the test.

The issue of the bike having to be so hot made it so difficult to diagnose. I don't even want to think about what else may have been compromised when it was "bucking" whle I was trying to ride it to a "safe" area or just finish a run. :eek:

I'll talk with the SM later today and see what his ideas are. :04biker: :bow1:

Time2Work
Neil S.

More then anything I hope your problem is indeed gone. Too many intermittent troubles have a bad habit of returning after you think they are fixed.

Phil

Neil,

Congradulations on the marrage. It's good to hear that the bike is back to normal.

I know this is an old thread and I am reviving it because I am having the exact same issue with my 65K mile 05.

Last May, about 15K miles ago, my bike did this once on a long weekend ride. The temp was 107 and I was fairly low on fuel. I stopped for a break filled up the tank and it didn't do it again until this past Saturday. Since it only did it once I didn't think much of it at the time.

Mine only does it when the temperature is really hot as well. I rode 200 miles in the morning with no issues. I rode about 225 miles in the afternoon with the temp between 100 and 108. The bike was fine for about 150 miles on the way home. The last 75 miles the temp read between 104 and 108. It did the exact same thing that the old video in the post 32 above did 3 times. Each time I stopped for a few minutes then it would be ok for 15 or 20 minutes and then do it again.

I am not sure I have the ability to not go off the deep end if it takes months of troubleshooting by the local dealer to fix the problem.

Has anybody else had a similar problem to this? ccryders problem was cured when the coils and fuel pump assy were replaced at the same time. I would be game to replace the coils at my expense to avoid having the bike in the shop forever, but the fuel pump assembly is another story.

Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom