Tire pressure gauges

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Hello,
Curious what most are using to check tire pressure. I have an old mechanical gauge that I trusted. I have used a tire chuck at work that has a built in gauge. What i discovered was my mechanical was 3psi high and the one at work was 5psi high. I have an older cheap electronic and a new. Both Chinesium, but 0.4 psi apart. The electronics all agree with the TPMS in my GM vehicle. So I'm thinking the electronics are correct. I'd hate to be running as much as 5psi off spec....

RT

I use an Accu-gauge but whether it is actually accurate is anybody's guess.

I have more tire gages kicking around than your dog has fleas*. i use an old bourdon tube gage that lives on a shelf in my garage. It has been my go to tire pressure gage for years. For checking air away from home, i have a number of pencil style mechanical types that MCN rated as being consistently accurate.
*No offense to your dog or his fleas.
Remember: Old Chinese Proverb - Man who owns two clocks doesn't know what time it is.

When I buy a thermometer, I look for the one reading most in the middle.

Too bad there's no way to test a batch of gauges.

Remember: Old Chinese Proverb - Man who owns two clocks doesn't know what time it is.
that was before good quality quartz watches were available.

I have several bourdon tube type pressure gauges and they all read within 1psi of each other or better, and a couple pencil gauges that are pretty close too but I never use them much.

OK... just for the fun of it... here is mine.
Also from China.
Old school type... just like me.
Costed about $10,
Precision 2 psi (it puts me in the ballpark)
No battery (that's great)
EMP Proof... So, it will survive a nuclear blast... if it doesn't melt.
Chances are, I will still be using it in 20 years.

20200803_005925.jpg

20200803_005915.jpg

I use a Blue-Point (Snap-On) analog gauge. What I like most about it is that it captures the pressure and the reading stays visible on the gauge until the little pressure release button on the side of the gauge is depressed. That means I can focus all my attention on getting a good connection between the gauge and the valve stem - I don't have to worry about looking at the gauge at the same time I am pressing it onto the valve stem.

If you shop carefully, you can find these with a range from 0 to 60 PSI, which is more granular than the more common 0 to 100 PSI version.

For some reason, I just don't trust digital gauges... perhaps because I have yet to find one that is manufactured by a company I trust.

Michael

Blue-Point Tire Pressure Gauge
TIre Pressure Gauge.jpg

But when all three are within 0.4, likely they are correct.
That speaks to consistency not accuracy though that be close enough for Govt work for me. I've seen a couple reviews or more of tire pressure gauges but none have ever noted using some laboratory grade instrument as a control. Not that we need that level of accuracy but without some standard of unequivocal accuracy comparisons are near worthless.

I use my FOBO TPMS. No it won't survive an EMP attack but if there is one I've probably got bigger things to worry about. Not to mention the ST would probably suffer the same fate.

I've got one of these

Very professional looking and the face glows in the dark! Not only will it survive an EMP - I'll be able to check the tire pressure of my dead ST when all the lights are dead as well. I have no idea how accurate it is.

OK... just for the fun of it... here is mine.
Also from China.
Old school type... just like me.
Costed about $10,
Precision 2 psi (it puts me in the ballpark)
No battery (that's great)
EMP Proof... So, it will survive a nuclear blast... if it doesn't melt.
Chances are, I will still be using it in 20 years.

When you consider captive air pressure changes with weather, even temp changes from cold when riding, 1-2 pounds off is lost in reality somewhere.

I use an Accu-gauge as well. I have one for each of my bikes. The design of the gauge is based on the tire's air value is located.

I do not use them as to accurately measure tire pressure but to provide a value from which I can make decisions based on tire wear, handling ect.

Also they serve as a standard for comparisons from day to day to indicate a loss of pressure based on temperature changes and maybe tire damage.

I trust my TPMS for riding; I may as well trust it for topping up, too. So, I do, even though I have to roll for it to read.

If it's a bit low when I start out, then gains, say, 3 PSI while riding, I'll add those 3 lbs to my target at my first stop.

Reactions: T_C
I've got the Roadgear talking digital tire gauge. It's VERY repeatable. get the exact same reading every time until you've actually let out a half pound of pressure.

B U T... is it the correct reading? :shrug2:

Another reason I like having the TPMS is that reading pressure does release a bit of air with each test, in addition to having to crawl around on the ground. Plus, I'm way too lazy to manually check pressure before every ride; monthly was more like it.

"Is the pressure high enough?"

"Well, it was."

Another reason I like having the TPMS is that reading pressure does release a bit of air with each test, in addition to having to crawl around on the ground. Plus, I'm way too lazy to manually check pressure before every ride; monthly was more like it.

"Is the pressure high enough?"

"Well, it was."

After 22 years of safety directors beating "pre-trip inspection" into me, I can't head out until I look at the tire pressures. I get paranoid if I don't look, even though my Wing has TPMS built-in.

Damn safety directors... ;):biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom