Tire pressure monitoring system

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The FOBO 2 has been great.
That's what's on my bike and it works well for me. Knowing whether or not tires need air before getting on the bike is really handy. That said I also like the Hawkes Head display but since I had to make up my mind and say yes to one — the Fobo 2 got the nod.

In my bikes and many miles a TPMS was never a consideration. Even after joining here and hearing everybody talk about theirs the farkle bug never bit.

Then one day after getting off the 2-lane blacktop and fueling up my ST buddy said my tire was looked low. At speed I never noticed it. Crossing the street to our stay a check showed the rear tire was at 18lbs. Plugged and filled we were on our way the next morning.

TMPS threads were revisited and the FOBO was ordered. All set up but never had an alert since. And that's the way I like it.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Interesting thread:
I have the Sykik on the 2 STs and the Silverwing. A few months back, I had a nail puncture in the SW’s rear tire, so I used a Slime branded tire cord to patch the hole. IT seemed to do well, but over time I would see a little extra plug sticking out from the hole. As a result I would cut it down from time to time not realizing the plug as working its way free. I had the scoot out on a ride recently and the Sykik was telling me the pressure was falling (gradually, maybe a PSI every 20 miles or so). I realized the leak, turned around, and came home (just an A -> A ride, so from home to home). Anyway, my PSI had dropped maybe 5-6 PSI on the ride, and when I got home, I examined the plug, which was easily removable. I then placed a Nealy rubber plug in the hole and all has been good since (I do plan on pulling the tires, installing metal valve stems and properly patching the inside of the tire eventually). I’ve had to change the batts on each sensor of the 2 STs once, but that’s it. For ~ $60, they are worth it to me and I have all in easy view when riding.2432EBEB-5254-412C-84C4-336FD1F505AE.jpeg

^^ This is an older pic of the 2000 with the monitor installed

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
I have the Sykik as well, pretty happy with it. Not a fan of everything being an app on my phone, all the time. I like dedicated devices for some tasks. The only minor gripe with the Sykik is it takes moving the bike before the tire pressure updates. This is a pretty minor issue IMHO.

Bike
2005 st1300
I have the Sykik as well, pretty happy with it. Not a fan of everything being an app on my phone, all the time. I like dedicated devices for some tasks. The only minor gripe with the Sykik is it takes moving the bike before the tire pressure updates. This is a pretty minor issue IMHO.
I, on the other hand, like all my info and apps on a 7 inch tablet I have mounted between the bars... like a removable infotainment system. The small issue I have is the external sensors. I find them unsightly (like I said, small issue) I would rather have internal sensors, but I have been unable to find a system that uses internal sensors with an app for my tablet... any system with internal sensors have their own addon screen to clutter things up (at least in my research). For now I have the fobo system and it works good

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
I, on the other hand, like all my info and apps on a 7 inch tablet I have mounted between the bars... like a removable infotainment system. The small issue I have is the external sensors. I find them unsightly (like I said, small issue) I would rather have internal sensors, but I have been unable to find a system that uses internal sensors with an app for my tablet... any system with internal sensors have their own addon screen to clutter things up (at least in my research). For now I have the fobo system and it works good
Actually, that is really cool. I never considered a mounted tablet. I assume its in some sort of weatherproof cover? Its all personal preferences and mission. I don't have, or need, a dedicated GPS unit. But I'm a commuter, so Waze works to monitor traffic and police locations, its all I need. I often use the bike for a short trip, and I don't bother putting the phone on the mount or turning on the Cardo. So having the Sykik monitor mounted is a better deal, its always there, always on, I can't forget it. Pretty sure if I was touring or rolling multiple day trips that a dedicated GPS, and other things would be more appealing. Its about mission.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
The Hawkshead monitor is small and I just velcro it to the ST1100 handlebar cover over the emblem.
It has both sound and flashing red light warnings if there is a problem.
The battery lasts a long time - so long that I don't remember how long it was the last time I charged them.
I also like the fact that I can easily change the button batteries in the caps when they 'die' without removing the tire and breaking the bead.
What to replace the USB male rubber plug with? The tether broke on my HawksHead unit. Amazon shows some silicone ones with no tether. (2.0 Micro-B I think).
Would any plugs actually be waterproof. Kinda needs to be!

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
What to replace the USB male rubber plug with? The tether broke on my HawksHead unit. Amazon shows some silicone ones with no tether. (2.0 Micro-B I think).
Would any plugs actually be waterproof. Kinda needs to be!
If you still have the plug, just push it back it securely - paying attention that you put it back the way it is supposed to fit.
If you are concerned about it coming back out, put a small piece of duct tape over it.

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Well . . . just received a Hawkshead TPMS for my "new" ST. Same as the previous two I've had.

There are two small sensors that screw onto the valve stems (batteries last about 2 years and are easily replaced).

The easy to read programable monitor is rechargeable (it's the one in the forefront of the box picture), has no wires to run anywhere, and comes with a motorcycle mount of sorts, but . . . since there's no wiring involved you can just stick it anywhere you want with velcro or double sided tape. When I was putting in the miles and long days before COVID slowed me down, I needed to recharge it about . . . twice a year. :)

Hawkshead is in Canada and customer service over the years has been outstanding.

I recommend it for anyone who just wants something that's reliable and simple to use.

Shuey

Hawkshead TPMS.jpg

RocketMan

so many roads...
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
100% agree with Shuey on the Hawkshead.

Also recommend the T-Valve adapter so you can add air when needed without having to pull the sensor.

Bruce3-tpms (Small).JPG

Well . . . just received a Hawkshead TPMS for my "new" ST. Same as the previous two I've had.

There are two small sensors that screw onto the valve stems (batteries last about 2 years and are easily replaced).

The easy to read programable monitor is rechargeable (it's the one in the forefront of the box picture), has no wires to run anywhere, and comes with a motorcycle mount of sorts, but . . . since there's no wiring involved you can just stick it anywhere you want with velcro or double sided tape. When I was putting in the miles and long days before COVID slowed me down, I needed to recharge it about . . . twice a year. :)

Hawkshead is in Canada and customer service over the years has been outstanding.

I recommend it for anyone who just wants something that's reliable and simple to use.

Shuey

Hawkshead TPMS.jpg

Top Bottom