Tire pressure monitoring system

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
If anyone is worried about how robust the external sensors are (especially those from the far east), I have had them on my KTM for over a year. They regularly get submerged in water/mud and then are sprayed off with a pressure washer. So far, still working as new.

Bike
2010 ST 1300
well just got back from a test ride after installing my SYKIK SRTP300 on the bike. Way cool and a safety item at that. BUT I went looking for info on the setting of the display and came across on thier web site that the valve mounted sensors are not recomended for plastic or rubber valve stems as they incress pressure and could cause the valve to leak or blow out. dont know where I was at that I missed that line of print. So I guess I will remove the system until I get tires, but I feel for the safety it adds I will have it installed

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
well just got back from a test ride after installing my SYKIK SRTP300 on the bike. Way cool and a safety item at that. BUT I went looking for info on the setting of the display and came across on thier web site that the valve mounted sensors are not recomended for plastic or rubber valve stems as they incress pressure and could cause the valve to leak or blow out. dont know where I was at that I missed that line of print. So I guess I will remove the system until I get tires, but I feel for the safety it adds I will have it installed
I wouldn't worry too much about that. Lots of people run them on rubber stems with no issues. Of course, metal stems removes any doubt but if I was you, I would run them until your next tire change and the swap out the stems.

If you think about it, any extra forces exerted on the valve stem are along the longitudinal axis of the stem and they are very strong that way (every have to pull one out?). Virtually no lateral forces.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
So I guess I will remove the system until I get tires, but I feel for the safety it adds I will have it installed
Whether or not a TPMS is installed I think metal stems are a good idea. They make adding air a lot more convenient. Some people are fine with the factory rubber valves but I found metal valves to be a huge improvement for me.

There are the 87º Ariete–type angled valves (aka 90º valves) and T-valves and probably others. The former have a very low impact on the aesthetics and the latter allow for adding air without removing the TMPS sensors.

A TMPS is a nice addition. While it will come in handy to alert me in case of a non-catastrophic tire failure my main reason for to check the tire pressures before a ride. Very convenient.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Nope, don't go there. The gyroscopic force on that rubber stem with a sensor now mounted at the top is bad juju. I lost two valve stems last winter from ICE buildup driving in really terrible conditions. Literally ripped the rubber stem at the base. Never heard of that happening, or seen it before, but there it was. I wouldn't trust it.

RT

Bike
2010 ST 1300
thanks rwthomas1. I have the system back in the box waiting for tire replacement. just have to look around and order stems.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
thanks rwthomas1. I have the system back in the box waiting for tire replacement. just have to look around and order stems.
Here's one option that many of us have used...

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
+1 on the T-valve stems. Just received mine.
Those appear to be the newer version - same as from the FOBO site. They're shorter/more compact than the previous version. They won't win any beauty prizes but I give the nod to the convenience of not having to remove the sensors. Easy enough to do - I'd just prefer not to.

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
So here is maybe a stupid question but what to do with the TPMS sensors in the winter during hibernation? I assume they have a little pressure sensing diaphragm that would be flexed under load, will its little life be shortened by being left that way or will last longer by removal and relaxed to ambient air of 1 atm, further to that should I remove the battery too or the “sleep mode“ is fine?
Curious mind wants your opinions, let’s have at it :)

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
So here is maybe a stupid question but what to do with the TPMS sensors in the winter during hibernation? I assume they have a little pressure sensing diaphragm that would be flexed under load, will its little life be shortened by being left that way or will last longer by removal and relaxed to ambient air of 1 atm, further to that should I remove the battery too or the “sleep mode“ is fine?
Curious mind wants your opinions, let’s have at it :)
I leave mine on during winter storage and have not noticed any issues. One set has been left on over 3 winters and still works as it came out of the box.

mello dude

Half genius, half dumazz whackjob foole
Apologies in advance but couldn't resist, admit in advance I'm being a flippant asshat... ;)
But here's my Tire Pressure Monitoring system, works great no batteries needed.

Cheerz

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
A few posts have mentioned it’s not recommended or a good idea to mount the sensor on a rubber valve stem and I agree. I did mount a set on the new-to-me RT that I had not installed an 83 degree aluminum stem yet and noticed after a few long rides the rear stem had taken a noticeable deviation from vertical. It was obvious the stem was bent over when moving at speed and placing stress on the stem. (The front wheel has a built in 90 degree stem so only the rear wheel was affected) Since the tires had lots of tread left it was going to be a while before the tire was coming off the rim and allow me to permanently install a metal stem. It occurred to me to fabricate a lightweight compression tube that holds the stem vertically in column even at supra legal speed. I took a measurement from the rim to the underside of the sensor and cut a tube to length made from a Sharpie pen cap, a jumbo size Sharpie. It worked great for about 5000 miles until I replaced the tires and installed an Ariete aluminum stem. The one in the picture is on the NC700X I bought 4000 miles ago, same deal as the RT, it will be permanently replaced with an aluminum stem soon.

The T valves are a great idea but are offensive to my eye. I don’t use them on my bikes including the Goldwing. Just my opinion. The Ariete style ones do not interfere with brake components.

EDE1690E-807D-4F73-ACCB-A8B22B3124B0.jpegC22861F4-61E9-4FCB-A013-0F5FF5C08EAF.jpeg

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Apologies in advance but couldn't resist, admit in advance I'm being a flippant asshat... ;)
But here's my Tire Pressure Monitoring system, works great no batteries needed.

Cheerz
Please share how well that works when you’ve sustained a puncture whilst underway at speed…

Bike
2009 ST1300
I think a good visual rotation / inspection / pressure check, sorry, are those italics? dont really get the protocol, or how that happened, dont quite understand why youd rely on ...

Top Bottom