Too late for these splines? Or run em'?

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Are these harder than oem, Or still pretty flexible?
They are quite a bit harder. The stock o-rings I removed didn't look bad at all, but I tried the polyurethane, just because. I don't think it really matters unless you in an extremely dusty or wet environment? Just change them at every tire change, clean our the old paste, apply some new, etc. No need to overthink it.

OP
OP
Beeflips

Beeflips

(it's me...Greg) Returning some videotapes
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
My buddy said he had to pry the dampers out, so I'm curious if they had been swapped without cleaning up the mess? the mysteries of buying an auction bike and now knowing history, or anything about that model of bike.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Well I had to pry (fairly easily) my dampers out but had to use a soft hammer to get the new ones in. They were waay tighter.
Same here. Old dampers fell out. Had to lubricate the new ones with water and knock them in with a dead blow and a bit of wood. Quite tight.

OP
OP
Beeflips

Beeflips

(it's me...Greg) Returning some videotapes
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
Sooooo, when I was cleaning and lubing up the splines and putting things back together, I was checking my service manual and noticed that my buddy took the nuts off of these posts on the drive flange. The manual says (without explanation) caution: do not remove the posts or the nuts on this flange. Or something to that effect.
After inspection I could not see that any of the posts had moved, I could see that the nuts had red loctite on them, so I put the nuts back on with loctite and torqued them to 25 in lbs, does ANYBODY have the specs for this part so I can check it? Or even know what the torque value should be?
I have a way at work to center this up off the I.D. and check the post ends as I rotate it. Any thoughts?
@Uncle Phil , @John OoSTerhuis @Igofar Or anybody with experience in this matter?

Thanks, Greg

Attachments

Last edited:
Top Bottom