Too Old to go back to an ST1100???

Bike
07 ST1300
STOC #
Good morning, all....subjective question: Currently 77 years old and riding 2016 Honda NC700x DCT, but itching to get back to my old familiar ST1100...My question is my concern over weight difference (approximately 300lbs)....will it be too much for me to handle at this stage? I know riding will not be a probem, but concerned about moving it around in garage.....I know I'm a bit weird wanting to go from a 2016 to a 2002, but I've always loved the many ST1100's I've had in the past.....If anyone has an opinion or inpujt, I would be very interested in hearing it......thanks.
LSDpoet

Bike
VStrom 650
Only you know if you've got an itch to scratch fella.
The fact you're asking the question probably gives you the answer.
There's plenty of light stuff out there if the NC needs an update.
Good luck.
Upt.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm 70 and still love and ride my ST1100s.
I am reasonably physically active but have had 'numerous' orthopedic and other repairs ;) .
I did buy a Motojack in case one of them decides to take a 'nap'.
If I move one of them around in the garage, I'm sitting on them to do it - but inseam length can make a difference when doing that.
If you weren't so far away, you could come to my garage and try it as I have a 'few' of them ... :biggrin:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
It's truly an individual decision.
We don't all age at the same rate, and different guys have different ... well, EVERY thing.
Phil still rides his 1100s, and he has a couple of years on me, maybe closer to your age, and has had knee and shoulders replaced.
There are lots of options, but it comes down to what YOU are comfortable with.
I'm 66 and ride the 1300, and will be adding a 1250 GS/A shortly.
EDIT: well, look who showed up while I was typing! Good morning, @Uncle Phil !

Bike
98 Honda ST1100
concerned about moving it around in garage....
If moving it in the garage is your main concern, a motorcycle dolly would solve that for you. I had an ST1100 in the early 2000's, and coming back to one 20 years later is definitely not the same for me. Can I put it on the center stand, yes. Do I hate doing it, YES!

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
I'm always surprised when people age out of activities based on strength issues. As we age, lots of things slowly decline, however strength doesn't have to be one of them! Numerous studies have shown that muscle mass and strength can be INCREASED even well into your 80's. Joint and other issues notwithstanding, get to the gym, get a program going and keep doing what you love. Its a fixable problem, that has other health benefits.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
There's a LOT that goes into aging, and it's different for everyone.
Still and all, ...I "plan" to keep riding until I leave here.
Then again, y'all have borne witness to many of me and my "plans"...

make God laugh.jpg

Bike
2000 ST1100
As a 69 year old rider of a 2000 ST after 23 years of ownership I find my ST1100 light and agile. I guess I'm use to it. I rode a new Goldwing on a demo a few years ago and that bike was heavy as I noticed the extra 200 lbs made a huge difference to me.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
All bikes seem heavy to me when Parking them , once moving under their own power they feel light. Guess the secret is to never stop riding!
That's exactly what I was thinking... nearly ALL the bikes I ride and have owned, are heavy when you're standing still or trying to push them around.
Use that motor, man!
That's why they put it there!
(And don't let them lean over, unless you're moving under power. They're heavy, remember?)

Bike
VStrom 650
I'm always surprised when people age out of activities based on strength issues. As we age, lots of things slowly decline, however strength doesn't have to be one of them! Numerous studies have shown that muscle mass and strength can be INCREASED even well into your 80's. Joint and other issues notwithstanding, get to the gym, get a program going and keep doing what you love. Its a fixable problem, that has other health benefits.
When you're right, you're right. I read a study only recently (can't remember where) that was going on about muscle wastage and gain; it was quite enlightening. The details escape me now ( it's age you know) but your muscles are constantly regenerating, so it's important to keep the exercise up.
But.......I can definitely say the WeeStrom is a lot easier to manage whilst stationary than the Pan ever was. The first time I put it on its centre stand I almost threw it through the garage wall.
Whatever you end up riding enjoy it and exercise your muscle.
Upt.

Styles

2000 Non-ABS
Bike
'00 ST1100
STOC #
I'm prepping mine today for a Delkevic exhaust and timing belt. When the job's done I'm hoping for a few years more of riding. Like you I've struggled some with the weight, but I've found it's mostly manageable through thoughtful technique. Of course, YMMV, but I'd surely not dissuade you from your aim.

Styles

Hello!, You didn’t mention your stature!, That along with any health issues You May have all play a roll in the way of being able to keep the balance of the bike if needing to push, Pull to roll it to where you want in the garage or wherever it needs to be put at.
I Speak with experience because I am 66 Year’s old in Fairly Good Health and 6ft. 7in. Tall. I have no problems with handling a large heavy motorbike!, But I just happened to be very fortunate & Very lucky with my size.
Everyone is different!, Sometimes Our Wants Get The Upper Hand On Us At Some Point In Life.
And Then Realize That That "Want“ Should Have Been Ignored, & Should have been content with what we had before!.
Sometimes as we get older we feel we are missing out on things, But the truth of the matter is, we aren’t missing a thing!.
Keep what you got & be happy with it.
Kind Of sounds like You might be chasing old memories, Nothing wrong with that!, But creating new memories is just as fun as it always was & will be!.
In the end Do what is right for You & what will really make You happy & what will Trigger the Grin Factor on your face when You get on the bike!.
What ever You decide, I wish You Good Luck & Many More New Memories, And Your Only As Old As You Feel!.
I‘m a 26 Year Old At Heart In A 66 Year Old Body!. ️
Keep Chasing The Wind!.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
The key is good rubber soles on your shoes that provide a sticky grip! I have to be careful of any light sand that may be underfoot, be it in the garage, parking lots or driveways. As long as I have good traction with my feet, I feel totally safe moving my bike at crawling manoeuvres ie: parking my bike. ;)

Top Bottom