Too Old to go back to an ST1100???

The key is good rubber soles on your shoes that provide a sticky grip! I have to be careful of any light sand that may be underfoot, be it in the garage, parking lots or driveways. As long as I have good traction with my feet, I feel totally safe moving my bike at crawling manoeuvres ie: parking my bike. ;)
Sticky Grip Is A Very Good Tip!, Lord Knows I’ve Had My Share Of Close Calls Because Of The Lack Of It!. Very Good Tip!.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm prepping mine today for a Delkevic exhaust and timing belt. When the job's done I'm hoping for a few years more of riding. Like you I've struggled some with the weight, but I've found it's mostly manageable through thoughtful technique. Of course, YMMV, but I'd surely not dissuade you from your aim.

Styles
You'll find the Delkevic is a nice piece of kit and everything bolts up just like it should.
I've done that on 3 of my 4 ST1100s and have the set for the last one when it needs it.
One thing I did do was to change the bolts on the exhaust shields over to stainless socket heads of the appropriate size.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Whatever you do don’t sell the NC700X! I just got back from a few days riding in the Smokies on that bike.

I am 67 and probably 5’ 5” tall now. Besides my NC I enjoy riding my R1200RT and Goldwing but I could see an NC as my only bike when the others get too much for me.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
I guess I'm going the other way. I bought a 1500 Valkyrie ('98) which is considerably heavier than an 1100. The seat is several inches lower but you can't hide the weight when moving it around.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I’m 59 (well, next week…ugh…). Anyway, what matters to me is that I can flat foot the STs when in the driveway and garage- I made the colossal mistake of wearing Sketchers to move the ST in the garage (so a worn shoe on a smooth cement garage floor) and you guessed it, dropped the ST- no damage to the bike at all, but a humbling moment nonetheless. Now, what I do is always use the little wood shelf I made that is ramped (I made a thread about it) and use that regularly to raise the back wheel so getting the ST on its center stand or on the stand on the MC dolly much easier. The Silverwing is comparatively a flyweight so maneuvering that in the garage is a piece of cake. I’d like to keep riding the STs for as long as I can.

I’m in agreement- I would keep the NC700 as well. If you decide against the ST, you can always put Shad or Givi bags and a top case and have a nice touring bike anyway.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I'm officially an old guy, I suppose. My gym workouts include several exercises I use to help with the weight of our ST's, including my wife on the back and goodies in all three bags. I focus on leg lifts, and do toe lifts on the same machine and same weight. I also use a weighted rowing machine. I feel like those have helped me continue with the ST's. I'll hit 73 next birthday, riding since the late 1950's and have only fallen over due to the side stand on the wet grass. No damage and I was able to right the 1991 by myself.

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
Well... I'm glad you have many good memories of the ST1100 you had in the past. It's a great bike.
Now... you are somewhat older.... and so is also the ST1100.
I love my ST1100. And I hope I will be able to keep it running for another... well, as long as posssible.
But everything as an end, someday.

What starts to worry me, about the ST1100's age, is the availability, or the non availability, I should say, of the parts.
Some of them are still available, others... not at all. Or you have to search them for weeks or months.
So, maintening them is becoming challenging.

Now, with all this being said.... I'm sure you can find one at a very decent price. Just Go and Get it !
Whatever I said, we have to have fun and enjoy life while we still can.

Chris

Last edited:

Styles

2000 Non-ABS
Bike
'00 ST1100
STOC #
You'll find the Delkevic is a nice piece of kit and everything bolts up just like it should.
I've done that on 3 of my 4 ST1100s and have the set for the last one when it needs it.
One thing I did do was to change the bolts on the exhaust shields over to stainless socket heads of the appropriate size.
I early faced one problem your tip implies, one such bolt needing drilling out. Even a 10mm hex couldn't grab its rusty remains. Water and heat up front, stainless steel is our true shield. My double thanks, UP.

Styles

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I early faced one problem your tip implies, one such bolt needing drilling out. Even a 10mm hex couldn't grab its rusty remains. Water and heat up front, stainless steel is our true shield. My double thanks, UP.

Styles
Yes, those rascals can be an issue getting them out so you can reuse the heat shields.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Good morning, all....subjective question: Currently 77 years old and riding 2016 Honda NC700x DCT, but itching to get back to my old familiar ST1100...My question is my concern over weight difference (approximately 300lbs)....will it be too much for me to handle at this stage? I know riding will not be a probem, but concerned about moving it around in garage.....I know I'm a bit weird wanting to go from a 2016 to a 2002, but I've always loved the many ST1100's I've had in the past.....If anyone has an opinion or inpujt, I would be very interested in hearing it......thanks.
LSDpoet
OK, now I'm sure those who contributed would like to know your decision, if you have arrived there yet? BTW, I sent you a PM.

OP
OP
lsdpoet
Bike
07 ST1300
STOC #
I made my decision over this weekend when I was lying on an MRI table with the clanging in my ears.....I decided that, no matter the outcome of all these procedures, I was going to live my life with as many pleasures as I possibly could...in other words, I am going to die living my life as opposed to living my life dying.......and so, I am going to get my ST1100 and enjoy the hell out of it for as long as I possibly can....and then, who knows.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I made my decision over this weekend when I was lying on an MRI table with the clanging in my ears.....I decided that, no matter the outcome of all these procedures, I was going to live my life with as many pleasures as I possibly could...in other words, I am going to die living my life as opposed to living my life dying.......and so, I am going to get my ST1100 and enjoy the hell out of it for as long as I possibly can....and then, who knows.
Bravo!

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
Wonderfully written!

DenAmmons

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300PA
I hear ya my friend. I'm 80+. Still ride my ST1300 and my GL1800 (which is even heavier). Moving around in the garage can be a challenge. I just make sure I can always park it & not have to move it around. Straight in & straight out.

Good luck.

Good morning, all....subjective question: Currently 77 years old and riding 2016 Honda NC700x DCT, but itching to get back to my old familiar ST1100...My question is my concern over weight difference (approximately 300lbs)....will it be too much for me to handle at this stage? I know riding will not be a probem, but concerned about moving it around in garage.....I know I'm a bit weird wanting to go from a 2016 to a 2002, but I've always loved the many ST1100's I've had in the past.....If anyone has an opinion or inpujt, I would be very interested in hearing it......thanks.
LSDpoet
Hope 77 is not to old. I've just purchased a 2002 ST1100 (first motorcycle, been riding Silverwing scooter) I;ll turn 77 in May but in reasonable shape. Bike is immaculate except water pump needs rebuilt. I have a kit and experienced friend to help.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Hope 77 is not to old. I've just purchased a 2002 ST1100 (first motorcycle, been riding Silverwing scooter) I;ll turn 77 in May but in reasonable shape. Bike is immaculate except water pump needs rebuilt. I have a kit and experienced friend to help.
Well, you bought the bike so you're stuck now... lol.. Welcome to the site.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Yeah my 1100 is so easy to ride it's:biggrin: like a child's tricycle with training wheels. Of course I'm only 69 years old.

Top Bottom