Tpms how it works and its quirks...

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Whew, I thought this was going to be a air verses inert gasses thread like the oil/moly threads. Now we are back to TPMS. I sure like the inexpensive ones that I have and a great piece of mind before, during and after riding. Temp is not a concern and I don't think are accurate 50% of the time anyways.

Bike
2016 FJR1300ES
STOC #
Adam, do you have a new Orange model or old? Did you purchase from Gordon originally or a retail store somewhere??
I just looked back through my emails. I purchased the older M203T from Gordon in 2016. I'm assuming I registered the unit and got the extra year of warranty. Hopefully the sensors are covered. Just waiting to hear back from him.

I sold my SmarTyre system along with my ST1300. I liked that system as it automatically adjusted the display readings to account for increased temperature. ie, you set the pressure at 36 psi and it would display the adjusted 36 psi at any temp. If you saw a drop you knew something was up.

That being said, this system has worked fine for me other than the batteries starting to fail.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Ok... just wondering. I have used the M202 for the last 6 years and when I asked about sensors I was told I'm out of luck. Either I switch to the FOBO I bought for the trailers or get a M203. I liek the built in idea and always on for the Orange, plus it'll measure a fast drop in pressure (but so will my handlebars). The FOBO units I have to have the phone with me, the software running and it won't register a fast deflate.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've been real happy with my Hawkshead units (on all three St1100s) - small waterproof head that holds a charge a long time, external caps (smallest around) that use easy to change button batteries, definitely lets you know of sudden or slow deflates. Gives temps if you want, but I leave mine on pressure. Can easily buy a new cap or just a new head if ever needed and the syncing process is pretty simple.

Bike
2005 BMW RT
I talked with Gordon a few weeks ago. He said Orange is coming out with a new model. He tested and wasn't satisfied and they are addressing his issues. Until then he has spare parts but is not selling any new systems. Give him a call.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
definitely lets you know of sudden or slow deflates.
Does it? Have you tested? I was surprised when I found the FOBO units do not. They didn't want the units tripping the low pressure alarm if you unscrewed the sensor to add air to a tire. If you unscrew one of the caps, same as quickly drop pressure on the tire, it will not alert to low pressure.

On my bike I think I would notice if one of my tires suddenly lost almost all pressure and I'm in the saddle. In another scenario... if I'm towing a trailer behind a car, and have the sensors on there, the tire suddenly loses all pressure, would I be notified??

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Does it? Have you tested?
Yes and Yes. I too have the HawksHead TPMS system. When airing my tires, I unscrew the sensor from the tire. Within a few secs of removing the sensor, my readout lets me know, both audibly and visually... a red light flashes.

Reactions: T_C

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Does it? Have you tested? I was surprised when I found the FOBO units do not. They didn't want the units tripping the low pressure alarm if you unscrewed the sensor to add air to a tire. If you unscrew one of the caps, same as quickly drop pressure on the tire, it will not alert to low pressure. ?
Oh yes, and it wasn't a 'test' but a road trip - a previous plug started leaking bad! I've seen it send out an alarm when you run into a fairly deep pool of water on a real hot day and the temps and/or pressure change a little bit from the cooling effect.

Reactions: T_C
Bike
2016 FJR1300ES
STOC #
Here's the link to the sensors on Gordon's site:

https://www.mcssl.com/store/rrr-tool-solutions/catalog/product/69b1301a3fbb4a8a83acd9557f5fbd9e

$37.50/each.

I'm waiting to hear back if the units are covered under the warranty. I'm thinking battery failure is probably not covered??
So my unit was purchased over 2 years ago so the factory warranty has expire. Gordon offers an extra year if you register your purchase, but batteries are not covered. This being said, Gordon offered me replacement sensors at a discount. Glad I'll be able to continue using my TPMS!

Great customer service. Thx Gordon! :)

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I think the best improvement for the Orange system would be longer lasting batteries or a centrifugal switch like the SmarTire system that shuts off the sensors after a few hours of the bike becoming stationary. The Orange sensors are always on. You would lose the ability to know the tire pressures before getting underway, but my experience with the SmarTire system is that they come on line fast enough that I don't even make it out of my cul-de-sac at home or the parking lot at work before they begin reporting.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I think the best improvement for the Orange system would be longer lasting batteries or a centrifugal switch like the SmarTire system that shuts off the sensors after a few hours of the bike becoming stationary. The Orange sensors are always on. You would lose the ability to know the tire pressures before getting underway, but my experience with the SmarTire system is that they come on line fast enough that I don't even make it out of my cul-de-sac at home or the parking lot at work before they begin reporting.
I like that I can turn on the bike and don't have to move the tires to get a reading... I think a good compromise would be for the unit to send a 'wake up' call to the sensors when power was supplied... which would effectively cause them to last maybe twice as long.. or longer.

Bike
2016 FJR1300ES
STOC #
I agree with Joe. It's nice to just turn the bike on and see the pressure. No need to get the pressure gauge out to check and adjust the tires.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
N2 in after air evacuated, Pressure stays within 1 psi on the TPMS even though the temp changes, but I don't believe the temp readings much anyways. Cold here today, 1C and still 41 PSI, when they are filled to 42. Now 7C and ride home, says 42psi. Maybe not enough of a temp swing, although in my shop with the heater on it is 16C and same PSI.

Bike
2016 FJR1300ES
STOC #
I saw my tire pressures drop 5 psi from 70F to 32F in Oregon last week. Ride for a few miles and the tire temp went up to 77F and the pressure up to 38psi.

Top Bottom