Tracer 900 GT

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I get it Mellow. If you're not getting enjoyment from riding it what's the point?
I had a 1978 CB750 until 2008 and there was nothing else I could think of doing on a garage queen that I hadn't already done. It had to go or be parked up. Enter the arena a CBF1000, touring Europe, and I was happy again. Same again with the "Stop Gap Pan" bought it to get to know our new area and continue to tour Europe, whilst we're doing that it'll stay but as soon as it gets parked up it'll be gone; I think.
Upt'North.
I acquired a CBF1000A (Mk 1) and spent last year tweaking the ergos, etc. for me.... awesome bikes, too bad never imported to the US. Sold my FJR, the Biffer is my primary sport tourer now. Rode my (now friend's) FJR a couple of days ago...... I really appreciate the lighter CBF even more now!

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Mellow, I will take that white El Camino though :rofl1:
You can have it... actually, I think they are planning on selling it.. hasn't moved in 10 years. Oh, it's not white.. it WAS blue..

Bike
VStrom 650
I acquired a CBF1000A (Mk 1) and spent last year tweaking the ergos, etc. for me.... awesome bikes, too bad never imported to the US. Sold my FJR, the Biffer is my primary sport tourer now. Rode my (now friend's) FJR a couple of days ago...... I really appreciate the lighter CBF even more now!
Enjoy your CBF, fabulous bike. If I'd have kept it any longer I would have uprated the rear shock for two up touring and changed the screen. Mine was a gold 08 with Honda luggage x 3. Having said I'd have changed stuff it took me to the far North of Scotland, most of Wales, France, Switzerland and as far south as Tuscany.
Like I said fabulous and it never felt big or heavy. Why did I sell it?
Upt'North.

Bike
VStrom 650
And, someone just mentioned chains. In over 8000 miles I probably adjusted it once with minimal maintenance.
Why did I sell it?
Upt'North.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Agreed. I'm done with chain drive..! :cool: Nice looking bike though. :thumb:
Hey, that was way back in Nov 2017... I've come around since then ;)......

Edit, Oct 25, 2018: Funny, it's been about a year since I posted that and I've slowly come around to strongly considering a chain on a touring bike, specifically this Tracer 900GT. I've done some research and talked to quite a few riders that have toured with a chain, and maintaining one is really not that big of a deal. I'm willing to add a little maintenance and cost to lose 80-100 lbs of shaft drive.

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
I had to go lighter when I wrecked my leg. I spent hours on the couch in my non-weight bearing boot completing a spread sheet on available bikes. You are absolutely correct that shaft drive adds at least 100 pounds to the bike. I purchased a used FJ-09 (before Tracers) with less than 3,000 miles and fully loaded for a steal. Added electronic cruise (well, Kevin_56 did!) and it’s perfect for my needs. Light and quick.

Greg

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I had to go lighter when I wrecked my leg. I spent hours on the couch in my non-weight bearing boot completing a spread sheet on available bikes. You are absolutely correct that shaft drive adds at least 100 pounds to the bike. I purchased a used FJ-09 (before Tracers) with less than 3,000 miles and fully loaded for a steal. Added electronic cruise (well, Kevin_56 did!) and it’s perfect for my needs. Light and quick.

Greg
Yep, I remember seeing yours at MNSTOC and liking it!

Bike
S10, R1250GS, KLX300
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have the Tracer GT at the top of next bike to buy list. I owned three ST1300s and am currently riding my fourth Yamaha Super Tenere since they were introduced in 2011. I like my 2015 S10 a lot with the factory cruise control and the much smoother, better fueled 2nd gen mods.........but, it is about 100 lbs heavier than the Tracer GT. The older I get, the lighter the bike that will be owned.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
And, someone just mentioned chains. In over 8000 miles I probably adjusted it once with minimal maintenance.
Why did I sell it?
Upt'North.
The chains today are great, I wish everybody could get over that.... You sold it because you wanted to get a Mk II, and you simply forgot to. Never too late... 2012 was the last year imported here, love the Honda red or the pearl white or the gold..... I'd take that bike anywhere, so smooth and it's 500-ish lbs.... goes where you point it. Mine's an '09 with 12k miles when I bought it. Lots of low milers around for basically pocket money.

Silver Bullet

Retired
Bike
2020 Tracer 900 GT
I'm loving my new 2020 Tracer GT 900. Already have 1000 miles in a month ,just riding around breaking it in. So light and powerful ! Oil changes are super simple and the chain is holding up excellently. Already have been fitting it out , radiator guard and ,front fender extender. Rear extender and adjustable levers ordered and will be next. The small wind screen works better than expected. Love the electronic dash and info display. Super fun bike!!
MIKE

Bike
07 FJR1300
STOC #
Lol... you're having a changed heart ah. I do own a bike with chain. But, it's a dirt bike (Ice-Bike) :biggrin: Perhaps when I'm getting older like Mondo I will changing heart too :rofl1:

Bike
2006 ST1300
I'm adding to a 15 pager here, Don't know if it will get noticed. Might also post elsewhere. Also arriving late to the party, Mellow already had one and got rid of it.

I've come to a decision....I currently have the 2006 ST1300 and 2015 FZ07. I like them both for different reasons.
I want to downsize both in size and amount of bikes. The ST is getting heavier the older I get, still zero tip overs, I'd like to keep it that way, Maint. is a pain, always removing EVERYTHING to work on it, etc.

FZ07 is great, but seat to peg distance is short, tank too small, seat too hard, great back road bike but a little under powered on the highway (above 80 mph).

There is a used 2015 FJ09 at a dealer here with only 1k miles on it. I'm going to test ride on Tuesday, but already have the deal done. Both bikes for the FJ and a little cash. I assume I'll love the FJ, I'll see. Seems to be the perfect bike for me. Already read up on it. I'll have to mod the oil pan, replace the clutch cable, and loosen the chain tension. :rolleyes:

So this is a big change for me, no Hondas anymore. Always had one since 83, and at 1 point 3 of them at once.

Wish me luck.

Top Bottom