Trade Your ST1300 For A Harley Ultra?

Bike
2007 ST1300
I've had a Hardly back in 93' and you could not give me another one. I like a motorcycle that goes, stops, handles, doesn't vibrate, doesn't leak oil, and parts don't fall off when i'm on the interstate (yes it happened to me). So the answer is NO i wouldn't trade my ST for nothing that h-d has.

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #
I would not trade my st for a cruiser of any type. However I wouldnt mind having another in my motorcycle house. Would take a kawasaki nomad or voyager Or another vstar 1300 but I wouldnt buy a Hd. I would take it if free though.

I went the other way.

After a series of 4 HD's starting with a Softail std. (anything but soft!), Dyna Superglide Custom, Roadking Classic to finally an Ultra Classic, I bought an ST an have never regretted the decision.

If your sole purpose is 2-up riding on the freeways, an Ultra or GW are tough to beat. But, if you like performance and the pure joy of carving turns at speed, stick with the ST.

Something else that may or may not be an issue with your decision...here in SE Michigan, 90% of the bikes seen out on any given day are HD's. 99% of those riders are wearing T-shirts, jeans, boots and half-helmets, (Michigan) or no helmets, (Ohio). There is kind of an image thing with HD as I've never seen an HD rider wearing a high-viz green Aerostich and FF helmet and that bothered the heck out of me! ATGATT just make too much sense.

Good luck with your decision and ride safe.

I have owned 4 Harley's prior to my ST. I had the firefighter addition Ultra. The bike was a great bike for what it was intended, thumping down the road in a straight line. My wife loved the princess seat or throne. The bike was stolen and I bought a street glide after that. Great bike for stright line thumping. Living in Colorado and so close to the twisties, It was work to keep up with my friends and thier sport tourers. No regrets for getting the ST, nice performance and handling. Would love to have the Harley cruise control.
I would rent an Ultra for the weekend and see what you think. You'll also need a tattoo, hot heavy non-waterproof leathers and an "old lady". Good luck.

OP
OP
firecpt12c,

I'm going to tell my wife what you called her. ;)

I have rented an Ultra on several occasions. Including a few times while in Vegas (in June). The Ultra is a totally different ride, but there is just something about it that I like. As I indicated in my initial posting, I am not an aggressive rider. If I decide to get an Ultra it will be because I like the bike not because I want to fit some image. No tats here!

Thanks,
tman

In a word no! I wouldn't trade at this time. Right now I would miss the ST; however, the older I get the more cruisers or Gold WIngs catch my eye. I'm sure some will say they can ride for 600 miles on a chopper or a sportbike, but for my aging knees I will probably end up on a Wing or an Ultra down the rode. As far as Harley bashing goes well everyone has an opinion and personally HD has it coming for sticking to traditional designs.

Bike
'93 ST1100
This discussion has come up a lot between my brother and myself over the past couple years.

He bought a new FLHT in 2001, then traded it (+ cash) for a new Big Dog around 2006.
He then also bought a new clearance 2006 ST1300 in late 2007 to even things out.
The ST was totaled and he replaced it with an '03 ST1300ABS.
ST and Big Dog, best of both worlds? Local beach bar bike plus a long distance Sport Tourer.

Couple weeks ago he flew out to California and rented a new 2009 Electra Glide Classic FLHTC for a few days.
As soon as he got home he was on the phone trying to work out a deal to sell everything and get the FLHTC. So for him, an ST plus Big Dog are still not equal to one great "new version" Harley...

Also mentioned was how great the new Harley is in heat, as it has option to cut out the rear cylinder when at an idle to lower temperature on rider. His ST was the coldest I have been on, much cooler than my ST1100, yet the Harley was no comparison, as heat was a non issue with the new version.

Last edited:
Bike
'07 ST1300
I rode along with a dude in Jackson, TN that was riding a Harley Ultra Classic,

It really was a pretty bike, painted blue with hard bags and all, it sounded nice, but I took a wrong turn, got lost, and caught up with him again.......

that was kinda funny I thought, then he started really laying it on with speed trying to show me how fast it would go, well he couldn't shake me I had no problem keeping up,

it was fun riding with him, I guess he knew the local LEO's habits cause he was moving on pretty quick with confidence at about 90 mph in a 65 mph speed limit

I have to admit that was a nice bike.....

Those hard bags open from the top with a narrow lid, and I have noticed the bags are deep and narrow, seem like they would be hard to pack...hhhmmm

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
I rented a HD UC for a week while in CO. , July 08. Start in Denver, went between Aspen and Vale and back to Denver.
It was a good test of the bike for the bride and I. Nice bike for a rental but not the bike for me.
It didn't havethe power I was use to , esp in the mountains. It handled the U-turns ok, enough to scrap the boards, but it was a heck to get it to start to bank over... I always felt like i was trying toooo hard to get it to do what I wanted.
Anyway, I'd rent again, but not buy.

Attachments

Lanny

Former Rider
Bike
None
STOC #
Also 52-54 mpg and 6 gallon tank puts the Harley in the same 300 mile range as the ST between stops.
Not in my experience with riding with UC riders. They ALWAYS had to stop for gas before I did. Just my .02:dr13:

STOC #
My father rode his/now mine 06 ST for over a year and decided it wasn't exactly what he wanted.

He rented an Ultra for a weekend, and loved the bike.....while at highway speeds. Said it was the best "fitting" bike he'd ever ridden (foot position,handlebar reach).

Unfortunately, the vibration at slow speeds (in town) and at stoplights was intense enough to be distracting. He ultimately chose a Goldwing over the Ultra but still comments about how nice the Ultra felt "at speed".

I thought it was a nice bike as well, just wasn't for me.

NoBull

Twisties are your friend
Bike
CRF450X
STOC #
The HD gets better mileage? Really? I get 45-48 without even trying on my 07 ST, and have a 7.7 gallon tank (or whatever it is). If the HD has a 6 gallon tank it'd have to get far in excess of 50mpg to have equal range, let alone more, than the ST.

Are you sure you didn't say HD when you meant to say ST?
Posted via Mobile Device
In my experience, running my ST down the highway at 80 or 85 my average MPG is in the mid to lower 40s. With a head wind it drops a bit. It might be due to the elevations here in Colorado, not sure. When I check my avg on the dash it is rarely over 42 for a tank of mixed highway/city riding. I have only once gotten over 300 miles on a tank, usually it starts to flash miles left well before that. Riding side by side, same speeds, same headwinds, my wifes bike takes less gas to fill then my ST. Especially when riding with a headwind. She averages right at 51 to 52 mpg. I have averaged higher mileage when running 55, but I have never been able to do that for a whole tank. Heck I havent been able to do that for more than a few miles..YMMV

Bike
2008 ST 1300
STOC #
I just filled up in Deland today after putting 311 miles on my last fill up and got 48 mpg. I now need tires at 13,000 miles. I sold my 2006 Nomad and got the ST. I like the ST a lot but after rideing a GW I find the GW has a great sport handling but you do notice the weight. My bride will not hardly go anywhere with me on the ST but did a lot on the Nomad. Guess I just made the wrong choice. :biker: Rob No, don't even go there!

Last edited:

RCS

Fortunately, the previous owner of my 04 ST1300A with 1,295 miles did trade in Aug. of 2008 for an Ultra. Good for me:).

I would never, ever consider a Harley. I'd go for a Goldwing first and even looked at a brand new 08 ABS last Saturday. Didn't pull the trigger cause I'd miss the auto windshield and rarely need room for 2up.

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
I was told the air cooled HD's were HOT by a friend that has a water cooled Shadow? Probably used to that after a Honda ST13?
Most any HD dealer will rent one of some kind. When I buy my next bike I want to rent one for a weekend and try it out. Pretty sure it will not be a Harley for me.
I demo rode a Goldwing. I thought the seating was "cramped" for the driver. IMO.
Wife loved the pillion.

Top Bottom