Trailer Opinions Needed

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Personally I am a bit leary of the two wheel versions, my father broke a leaf spring and flipped the whole rig (Suzuki GS850) at highway speed. Bless him though, put it in a Uhaul and drove back 3k miles. I'm looking for a versatile single wheel. This one only has up and down movement, no side to side (lean). Does that matter?

one wheel.jpeg

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Personally I am a bit leary of the two wheel versions, my father broke a leaf spring and flipped the whole rig (Suzuki GS850) at highway speed. Bless him though, put it in a Uhaul and drove back 3k miles. I'm looking for a versatile single wheel. This one only has up and down movement, no side to side (lean). Does that matter?

one wheel.jpeg
Interesting design, starting at $1319.59 US, plus $179.96 US for the hitch.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Is there stuff you need to carry that you can't fit in a dry bag or two strapped behind you, or maybe you've got a pillion? $1300 is a lot of shekels to carry a small load, unless you really need it. It does look like a really nice trailer though.

OP
OP
Willsmotorcycle

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Is there stuff you need to carry that you can't fit in a dry bag or two strapped behind you, or maybe you've got a pillion? $1300 is a lot of shekels to carry a small load, unless you really need it. It does look like a really nice trailer though.
Probably not Paul, I seem to carry just enough and then a bit more. As most here have noted, leaving the bike unattended with this kit is not ideal. I also like to take the bike to pick up acquisitions, best so far was a free standing wheel chock. Versatility is really the key and I'll admit throwing stuff in a trailer versus packing tight seems inviting (I would probably still pack the dry bags the same and put them in. You know belts and suspenders). I am sure I would shop at a grocery store for fresher foods if everything was away while camping and I do love the idea of rolling it into a motel room here and again. I've toyed with idea of the unigo and similar, but you can only take what fits in the box.

3048530B-DABC-479D-8CE0-28DCAA807915_1_105_c.jpeg

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Ha! Yeah, you need a trailer! ;)

Rolling into the hotel room sounds cool though, wouldn't have thought of that.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Maybe pack a little lighter. Start using the three pile method to sort the unpack after returning into three piles named Used It, Didn’t Use It But Might Next Trip, Didn’t Use It And Available From A Store if I Ever Need It.

It worked for me.

Bike
2011 Honda ST1300

one wheel.jpeg

Leary? I'm not sure what you mean. I thought I had a good understanding of the American version of the English, but this one has me stumped. I'm presume you mean Weary? And if so, yes, I can understand that that your Father's experience could make you reluctant. But there are many thousands of two wheel, conventional motorcycle trailers out there. I'm sure if a two convential trailer is properly designed, manufactured and maintained, there is no reason (IMO) why your Father's experience should be repeated.

Had a quick look at the picture gallery on the Eaglemate website, all of the pictured examples look (IMO) very ungainly and impractical. Whatever, some people may say the same re. some of the pics on my convential trailers.

We have an Australian Motorcycle Trailer Owners group on Facebook, this is a good source of motorcycle trailer advice, comments, feedback and good old smart elec remarks. I suppose there is a similar group in the US.

Anyway, each to their own, and whatever you settle on, good luck and stay upright.

OP
OP
Willsmotorcycle

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Leary? I'm not sure what you mean. I thought I had a good understanding of the American version of the English, but this one has me stumped. I'm presume you mean Weary? And if so, yes, I can understand that that your Father's experience could make you reluctant. But there are many thousands of two wheel, conventional motorcycle trailers out there. I'm sure if a two convential trailer is properly designed, manufactured and maintained, there is no reason (IMO) why your Father's experience should be repeated.

Had a quick look at the picture gallery on the Eaglemate website, all of the pictured examples look (IMO) very ungainly and impractical. Whatever, some people may say the same re. some of the pics on my convential trailers.

We have an Australian Motorcycle Trailer Owners group on Facebook, this is a good source of motorcycle trailer advice, comments, feedback and good old smart elec remarks. I suppose there is a similar group in the US.

Anyway, each to their own, and whatever you settle on, good luck and stay upright.
I was checking out FB, that is quite a group. Thank you for the link!

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Can't say I need one, but its pretty much the ultimate farkle, is it not? What I always wonder about with MC trailers is the handling dynamics and suspension wierdness that must happen. I've got a lot of time, like decades, of towing trailers daily with a pickup. There are been more than a few harrowing moments caused by weather, and idiot drivers, resulting in emergency avoidance maneuvers and a trailer makes a pickup do very strange things. I can only imagine what it does to a bike. Not a criticism, just curious.

RT

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I'm curious too. Came close to getting one, but deal fell through.
At the least, I'm sure I won't be riding in my usual sporting fashion. Prudence dictates to me, at least, that pulling a trailer would suggest reducing the, ah, ...acrobatics. At minimum, frolicking in the corners would be toned down a bit.
And if going the cargo hauling direction, I would agree with a previous post, that I may as well get a 2-wheeled one, not the unigo-styled one.

Top Bottom