Trailer Opinions Needed

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
One of the benefits of a one-wheeled trailer is that it is no wider than the bike. This allows you to position yourself on the road the same as without a trailer, where the two-wheeled trailer will have the bike in the center of the lane. As with any trailer, the dynamics will change with the load, and position of the load in/on the trailer. I put heavier items as far back as I can and add some additional rear preload to my shock.

The trailer will "push" you when braking and cornering, so you need to adjust your riding to deal with it, same as riding two-up. You also need to mind your gap, and be smooth on the brakes, especially if your trailer doesn't have any brake system.

I will (finally) be pulling my Mini-mate Pop-up camper next week. I have not pulled it before, so I can't report how it pulls, but I know it will be a much different experience than my I-lean! Much more weight, and substantially wider. Wish me luck!

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
@sirepair I would expect to experience all that you describe. Reading about towing,is obviously not the same as towing, and I have read all I can find about it.
That's just how I am.
But if I'm going to tow something, I don't want to settle for another pants pocket, or backpack. It will have to actually CARRY some crap!

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
My I-lean can carry about 50 gallons/190 liters. I've hauled probably 80-100 lbs in it, but usually only haul 40-50 lbs or so. Never actually weighed it, but my guess is 70-80 lbs empty.

Took the Mini-mate for a short jaunt today. BIG difference from I-lean! Definitely have to change riding style! Looking forward to our trip next weekend and getting a better feel for trailering.

Top Bottom