Traxxion Suspension Upgrade (ST1100)

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Ok, I promised when I had some miles on my new Traxxion Dynamics suspension upgrade, I would post my observations. Keep in mind, I am not a professional racer or a professional rider ? way far from that.

The reason I went this route, is another rider who had his suspension setup by Traxxion Dynamics (did not have their equipment) they just helped him set his shock up? let me ride his ST1100. I was amazed at the tracking through the curves, it literally felt like it was on rails and almost stood up by itself exiting the curves ? it felt a little harsh, but it sure tracked well. Unfortunately, this confirmed my suspension needed some improvement.
I had the bike down for 90,000 mile service, so removing the forks for a while and having them worked on was no biggie. I delivered them to ?Traxxion Dynamics? in Woodstock, GA and talked to them about the possibilities? Little did I know there were sooo many! Long story short, I told them what I weigh, my riding style and how much I usually carry on the bike.

They were not pushy about their own products, explained several different levels of upgrades along with some price points and asked what my desire was. The top fork upgrade was out of my budget range, so I chose to have them select the springs, use their valves (which I sincerely believe are better than a known competitor) and rebuild them with new bushings and seals and the oil viscosity they selected.
The rear shock was probably an overkill for the way I ride? but it was about the top of the line available and my head (ego) was beginning to swell. I settled on the Penske 8975 built for the ST1100. Traxxion ordered the shock and the ?proper? spring for my weight from Penske. It took two weeks to get it as Penske custom builds these shocks when ordered. This shock has preload adjustment, Compression adjustment, and Dampening adjustment.

When I picked up the forks and the Penske shock from Traxxion, the first thing I noticed was the fork shafts were polished to a mirror finish. I also noticed a sealed bag with my old springs, old valves, seals and bushings. There was no doubt about what they replaced. They installed ?Axxion Valve Kit with Showa 8mm Base Valve Holder, Rebound Axxion Valve Kit, Traxxion Dynamics Fork Spring Kit 34x340x1.05kg/mm, Bushings and OME fork seals. They also checked the fork tubes for runout.

Then, Mike handed me the rear shock and said ?Remember to mount it upside down?. When looking at the shock, It has the Penske sticker on it, when mounted on the bike, it is upside down. The rear shock was ?setup? in Traxxion?s shop for my weight. It was tested and graphed on their specialized equipment. (I will include a picture of said graph).

So, now, the good stuff. With the suspension installed, I took the bike out for a little spin. The previous sag when lifting off the side stand was gone! The ride comfort was good? was not as stiff as I was probably expecting, but it was comfortable (Firm, but not punishing). The handling in the curves felt more confident and planted, exiting the curves also seemed better. The more I rode it the more I realized how precise the bike fit ?me?. Traxxion had nailed it!

On a side note, my current front tire (a Bridgestone G547 Exedra) had about 3500 miles on it prior to the fork upgrade and was beginning to ?sing? to me in the curves due to the feathering occurring on the tread pattern. After 3,000 miles with the Traxxion upgrade, the tread is now smooth again! All feathering is now gone! Guess I can expect longer tire life now.

Picture #1 Old shock on the left, new shock on the right.

Picture #2 shows the dampening adjustment not apparent in the last picture.

Picture #3 is the graph showing shock set up for the ST1100 and my weight. The ST in black, full hard in red and Mid setting in green. Needless to say, I am not even approaching the capacity of this shock.

The shock was pricy, but it is rebuildable. Penske makes a shock that is about $200 less than this shock that more than likely would have met my needs or the needs of most ST1100 riders. It does not have dampening adjustment. When ordering, they would fix the appropriate dampening internally by the specifications given (bike and weight of rider). I probably over spent on the rear shock? but I am ok with that.
The ride quality I now have with the increased cornering capability and improved tire wear is a plus in anybody?s book. You may not have to go the Traxxion route, but it is clear to me, now, that a good suspension is worth a little extra coin.

Vinny

Attachments

The Cheese

Re: Traxxion Suspension Upgrade

Glad to hear about your upgrades Vinny. I think it was money well spent.

Bike
99 ST1100

Sounds great Vinny. I'd love to do the same to my 1100.

Not to be too crude but what did the upgrades cost?

I only gave $4,500 for my bike. It would be pretty hard for me to spend the $2,800 someone said they were spending on suspension mods for their 1300.

OP
OP
vinny
Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #

Sounds great Vinny. I'd love to do the same to my 1100.

Not to be too crude but what did the upgrades cost?

I only gave $4,500 for my bike. It would be pretty hard for me to spend the $2,800 someone said they were spending on suspension mods for their 1300.
If you go with the shock I suggested, not the one I got, then your looking at a grand.

Des

Bike
'00 ST1100-P

Wow that shock looks so different to standard.

I think money spent on suspension is rarely wasted, I'm gonna improve mine when I get a few $$$ spare.

Bike
99 ST1100

If you go with the shock I suggested, not the one I got, then your looking at a grand.
That's not too bad. I'll tell my wife I need a Thousand dollars to upgrade the suspension on my bike.

I'll give you a call after the divorce is finalized and maybe you can help me put the shock on. :D

I understand you have a place to stay? Is there a time limit? lol

OP
OP
vinny
Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #

That's not too bad. I'll tell my wife I need a Thousand dollars to upgrade the suspension on my bike.

I'll give you a call after the divorce is finalized and maybe you can help me put the shock on. :D

LMAO! Yeah, I understand. My wife had no argument because I raised the funds with a side job.

Sarrow

give to the site
Bike
ST1100'02
Hey Vinny, feels like my shock needs some attention too. After last years Tech event (Oct) when Plumbman showed us the front springs replacement short-cut, it's taken some hot weather to feel the difference in compression/rebound. Now the back shock is sloppy compared to the new fronts.

Does renting out Vinnys place contribute to money from side projects? If so, what are the seasonal rates for vacationing riders as it's a perfect get-away?

OP
OP
vinny
Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #

For forum members, it's $65 a night... so if you have some friends to split it up, it's cheaper. Also, if you are a veteran, its $10 cheaper. If you are over 60, it's another $5 off. Would be glad to have you come and stay.
All proceeds, help me with side projects or bike accessories. Or used to improve "Vinny's Place"

Vinny

Bike
2006 Goldwing
STOC #

Vinnie, awesome writeup on your new suspension! Your suggestion on the Penske without the damping adjustment was the one I considered. But my koni was ok, just needed a
new spring fitted. Traxxion is a first class business! But you will need to do both the front and the back of the bike for the suspension to improve your comfort. You will not believe
the speeds that your ST1100 will go thru the corners!!

Bike
91 ST1100

You're selling it wrong. You tell her that the bike suspension is shot and you need a new bike, gonna be 20 large for a new Goldwing/BMW k1600 what ever is your favorite. THEN when she hits the roof , you suggest that maybe you could spend $1500 on the old one and get another 10 years out of it. Lemons to lemonade!

OP
OP
vinny
Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #

You're selling it wrong. You tell her that the bike suspension is shot and you need a new bike, gonna be 20 large for a new Goldwing/BMW k1600 what ever is your favorite. THEN when she hits the roof , you suggest that maybe you could spend $1500 on the old one and get another 10 years out of it. Lemons to lemonade!
Hmmm.... good advice!;)

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #

The top fork upgrade was out of my budget range, so I chose to have them select the springs, use their valves (which I sincerely believe are better than a known competitor) and rebuild them with new bushings and seals and the oil viscosity they selected.
As you mentioned the G547 front tire, I reckon you've a standard ST1100?
I already was in contact with Traxxion about rebuilding my ST's fork, as they seem the only ones who offer fork caps for damper adjustment; the only back draw is that they do the forks for the standard model only 'in house', so I'd need to ship my fork set to them for rework and they return it afterwards... conclusion: the freight costs outrange the purchase price of the suspension upgrades... bummer...
As rear shock upgrade I like my Wilbers very much, its 'click' system on the hydraulic preload adjuster and damper valves utilizes recoverable settings for the common payload conditions.

Bike
Vstrom 650

Wow that shock looks so different to standard.

I think money spent on suspension is rarely wasted, I'm gonna improve mine when I get a few $$$ spare.
Hi Des, Haven't seen you on here in a while, my suspension also needs work, thinking I might get away with changing the spring on the rear,the shock itself doesn't
look to be leaking, and change the oil in the forks,see how that goes

OP
OP
vinny
Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #

It's sad that the freight cost to ship the forks will prevent you from getting the upgrades you are looking for. I am assuming you check your side of the pond for vendors to rebuild the suspension. With all the bikes in Europe, it seems someone over there would be in the business... Just out of curiosity, how much was the quote for shipping?

Bike
91 ST1100

Perhaps you could buy a set in the US ,have them shipped to Traxxion then home. Would halving the international shipping change the equation much?

Bike
1100 Shadow
STOC #

Shhhhh... it has worked for me before....:razz:

Bike
94 magna, 07 goldwin
I had my bike done in April 2017 by traxxion...got everything and head steering bearing replaced with all balls too. Was about 2800.00

The Cheese

I forgot about this thread. I own the bike Vinny upgraded now. Love it. I'm glad he spent the money on it. I never would have. Combine what he spent originally and what I did on maintenance, and it's almost what I bought my first ST1100 for!

It has 124k miles on it now. Had the suspension rebuilt by GMD Computrak in Fairmont GA. Which meant changing oil and seals in the forks, and a complete rebuild of the rear shock. Seals, bearings, fluid, recharging gas and adjustment tailored toward me.

From here on out GMD will be my only suspension people. They treat customers right.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I forgot about this thread. I own the bike Vinny upgraded now. Love it. I'm glad he spent the money on it. I never would have.
Same here, but I got my '01 from Robbie AG, who had already had Traxxion fork and Progressive rear suspension upgrades done.

Top Bottom