Traxxion Suspension Upgrade (ST1100)

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Some people put so much money into an older bike that doesn’t cost much thinking that it will make it better.
I did when I had an ST1100.
The Penske shock from Traxxion, and my revalving and proper springs in the fork brought the whole ride up to a level that was worth it to me.
In addition to all the desirable traits mentioned above there is a situation that I really appreciated. When riding in the rain especially at night, when the feeling of the bike is upset by road irregularities, on the stock suspension, I would be concerned about traction. In other words, was the feeling I just got from the road or water on the road?
The suspension upgrade gave clear feedback about road vs water. Compared to a well maintained fork and excellent condition stock shock the bike felt more planted hence more secure.
After thousands of miles On the good stuff I test rode a stock ST1100, by comparison it felt like a toy.
I like working with the guy at Traxxion.
Thank goodness for threads like this for they have guided me to an improved experience.

Bike
1993 ST1100
One of my fork's seals are leaking and so figured I would do a service,fluid,seals bushings,but would consider a vendor rebuild to have an expert do it if the price was reasonable.What was the price for the fork rebuild part of the service? Thanks for all the other info!

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
When I had Traxxion rebuild and upgrade my forks a couple years ago, it was around $600. I felt the results were well worth it! I'm pretty sure Larry (who owns the bike now) would agree :D

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Boy, you guys are really tempting me to spend some $$! ;)

The Cheese

One of my fork's seals are leaking and so figured I would do a service,fluid,seals bushings,but would consider a vendor rebuild to have an expert do it if the price was reasonable.What was the price for the fork rebuild part of the service? Thanks for all the other info!
If I was just wanting to do a basic service I would do it myself. Its not terribly difficult to do. By the time you add shipping back n forth having GMD do it will be quite expensive. I can't remember what it was to do just the forks as I had the shock rebuilt as well. He is not cheap tho. Meticulous, knowledgeable work hardly ever is.

Don't get me wrong. I love the way it handles now. It's a much better bike than I am a rider. Not often, but occasionally, I would hit the limits on what my older red bike could handle. It had stock suspension. Not the case at all with this bike. It really does feel completely different.

The sad fact is. I could not sell my bike and get what has been spent on suspension alone. There is no way I could get close to what I think it's worth. I had a very difficult time selling my red bike. In the end you have to come to terms with was the money spent worth it. In my case I think it was. I would do it all over again. It may be a older bike that doesn't cost much, but I think the money spent has made it much better. I'll have this 11 for quite awhile still.

Bike
1993 ST1100
If I was just wanting to do a basic service I would do it myself. Its not terribly difficult to do. By the time you add shipping back n forth having GMD do it will be quite expensive. I can't remember what it was to do just the forks as I had the shock rebuilt as well. He is not cheap tho. Meticulous, knowledgeable work hardly ever is.

Don't get me wrong. I love the way it handles now. It's a much better bike than I am a rider. Not often, but occasionally, I would hit the limits on what my older red bike could handle. It had stock suspension. Not the case at all with this bike. It really does feel completely different.

The sad fact is. I could not sell my bike and get what has been spent on suspension alone. There is no way I could get close to what I think it's worth. I had a very difficult time selling my red bike. In the end you have to come to terms with was the money spent worth it. In my case I think it was. I would do it all over again. It may be a older bike that doesn't cost much, but I think the money spent has made it much better. I'll have this 11 for quite awhile still.
Thanks,Yes,I understand diminished returns and I'm planning on doing it myself,as I do all my own work and have done a rebuild before on my VFR of the same era,so not intimidated just curious what they charge verses my time,as I'm swamped even though I'm out of work because of Covid....Always good to know options.When I upgrade my heavyweight tourer it will be a more modern one(probably a Triumph Trophy cuz theyre loaded and cheap) and would definitely consider one of the high suspension shops to do the fork/shock upgrade as one of the first upgrades,but until then the ST is humming along!,...with a leaky seal....

The Cheese

Here is GMD's contact page. If you're interested in contacting them.

Have you tried one of the fork seal cleaners? Might be able to postpone the rebuild by cleaning it out.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
When I had Traxxion rebuild and upgrade my forks a couple years ago, it was around $600. I felt the results were well worth it! I'm pretty sure Larry (who owns the bike now) would agree :D
Why, yes. Yes, I would. Whole-heartedly.

After I raised the rear to compensate for my weight, it limbered right up. Leans easily, responds to steering input.

mello dude

Half genius, half dumazz whackjob foole
Traxxion is a good suspension supplier, I have use them myself.
Also another is DMr Motorsports in. Ft Wayne Indiana.
Same kind of deal , ship your forks to them and they will modify with the upgrades.
They also have premium rear shocks.

I have sent work there an no complaints.

Last edited:
Bike
1994 Honda ST1100
Well, last spring while the bike was apart I contacted Traxxion (dealt with Dan) decided I was going to commit to handling as a priority for the bike. So, I order their AK20 cartridge front suspension kit and the Penske 8975 rear shock. I did all the work myself with a couple of reassuring calls to Dan. Granted this all went on to my 1994 ST1100 nonabs with 42,000 miles which some may say its not worth it for the value of the bike. In my mind since its either my skin on the pavement or not, I chose to keep my skin.

Having the full adjustability front and rear (pre-load, compression and rebound) it took a few hundred miles and several passes through the same section of road over and over making adjustments I could feel bikes stability and providing feedback improving till finally it got to where my confidence to stick the bike into corner trail braking at an angle and speed that most people not likely experience was my end game which I got there. Getting the pre-load and sag was the starting point which if done the bike maintains its ground clearance as if no one was sitting on it and weight transfer gradual not abrupt like the stock suspension.

Later in the summer I made a long haul trip to Washington state from Wisconsin. The bike was comfortable on the open road and to do a 16 hr day in the saddle not difficult to do. Coming back I made a detour to run the Pintler Mountain loop, Beartooth Highway and the Bighorn Mountains which allowed me to put the bike through its paces on roads I did not know but confidently handled with no pucker events. The longest day I put down was from Buffalo WY to Nekoosa WI (938miles) and again I did not feel beat up at the end of the days.

I know people talk about these bikes being heavy and all but if work is done with the suspension they can become extremely nimble "sport touring bike".

Top Bottom