Triumph Tiger 1050

Last week I picked up one of the new Triumph Tiger 1050's. I love motorcycles that are exciting to ride and have nice styling. In addition to my ST1300 I have owned various CBR's, VFR's, Monster and most recently and SV1000S. The ST is a great bike and I will likely have it for a very long time. For me the ST does enough of everything well that it is a very good all around bike for me.

In my search for a lighter sportier bike I kept running into comfort challenges. The SPORT side of Sport Touring with the VFR was a bit difficult on my knees and wrist after about an hour. The VFR is an amazing bike but not comfortable enough for me. The naked Monster was a blast too, but had about the same comfort time limit for me.

This led me to consider the Multistrada to get sport bike handling with much more comfortable ergonomics. The Multi is a wonderful bike but lack of dealer support in my area and though the look of the bike which grew on me over time was just too unique for me and I could not bring myself to purchase it.

I then got on the BMW GS1200 search. Very competent bike. Very comfortable. It did everything well. When I got off the GS and rode away on my ST I found myself smiling with the twist of the ST throttle and realized I was only content with the GS. I wanted a bike I would be excited about, not content with. That coupled with the price of admission ruled out the GS.

That brought me to the Tiger. I was intrigued with it in the past version but that styling did not grab me, I did not need the off road pretence and it was getting long in tooth. So I quickly ruled it out. That was until I started to see spy photo's in the fall of '06. I followed the development of the bike over the winter and into the spring. Two weeks ago I made it in for a test ride and knew my long search was over.

For me the bike is the best all around bike I could find. Motor is just perfect, brakes strong, suspension supple yet very controlled. I have never had a suspension as compliant as the Tigers yet so controlled. Comfort is excellent. Handling is as good or better than any of the sportier bikes I have ridden for street purposes. I also came to like the

I only have a whopping 200+ miles on it so there is much to learn (160 of those miles were non-stop on all different types of roads). Out of the box it is a the ideal compliment to an ST type of bike. If you are considering anything from a naked to adventure tour type of bikes I would recommend considering the new Tiger. After about 7 years of searching it was the best all around bike I could find.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ashalina
Bones,

I ended up with the blue. The closest yellow was 5 hours away. On the Triumph site the yellow looked like the yellow WalMart uses on their smiley sticker and I just did not like it. In photos of actual bikes the yellow looked quite nice. I was interested in seeing the yellow in person but not enough to drive 5 hours for it. That coupled with the fact the Tiger's are selling at such a fast rate made me want to get the blue one my local dealer had before somebody else snatched it up. Good thing too. They took deposits on their remaining 2 allocations within 2 days of me buying my bike!

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Blue is nice, too.

The Tiger is one of those bikes I'd love to add to my collection (currently at 1 ST). I'm curious how tall it is in the saddle. I'm 5' 7" and 30" inseam...not sure my feet with reach the ground. Any insight there?

STOC #
Blue is nice, too.

The Tiger is one of those bikes I'd love to add to my collection (currently at 1 ST). I'm curious how tall it is in the saddle. I'm 5' 7" and 30" inseam...not sure my feet with reach the ground. Any insight there?

32.87 inches :mad:

Spencer

Del

Ashalina, ABS or not? Your post really hit home. I am looking to replace my SV650 and supplement my ST. Why? Mostly loose some weight but not the creature comforts for 500 mile day trips. I will keep my ST for anything longer or overnight but for sport-touring day trips I don't need luggage but do need protection, ABS, comfort, heated grips, reliability, ease of service, a dealer network and a powerlet outlet or two. I too have gone from A-Z and have probably looked at all the same rides as you. Really like the new Tiger, as have both April's MCN and Rider mags. I am down to the R1200 ST and the Tiger. Is the headlight much of an isuue for you and is the EFI abruptness more or less than a stock ST1300?

Phartz

Pat Thompson
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
On my way to the CreSTOC BBQ last Saturday I stopped at Doug Douglas Triumph in San Berdoo. Looked at and sat on the new Tiger. I really liked it all the way around.

Great choice, Ashalina!! Enjoy. :D

I'm toying with a second bike to supplement the LT when I want to play in the mountains, and for now leaning toward a VFR, but part of the fun is the dreaming stage and trying different things out. In that vein, have test rode the Sprint ST and Tiger, both great bikes, but for me, like the looks of the Tiger and ergos probably just a tad better. The only thing I didn't like was the buzz in the seat that seemed constant at city and highway speeds. Since the test ride was pretty short (20 minutes or so), not sure if it is something that you get used to and doesn't bother you or gets worse as the day goes on or disappears with mileage on the bike or was just that specific bike. The BMW twins, R, ST, and GS all buzz at idle but that goes away when the bike is in gear, the buzz on the Tiger never disappeared and I didn't notice it in the pegs or handlebars, just in the seat. Was it just that bike and/or just me? Too used to the smoothness of the LT, I guess to enjoy the "character" of the Tiger. Still, it is high on the list for consideration, even with the buzz, it was that good of a ride in all other areas, light, flickable, torque and power where you need it, could lean it way over and still stable.

OP
OP
Ashalina
Bones, I am about 5-10" with a 31" inseam. I can almost put my flat foot on both sides with the stock seat. It is very much like the XR400 dirt bike I used to have or a better example may be the ST1300 with the seat in the highest position. The Tiger may be a bit easier to get my heels down at a stop compared to the ST in the highest position. Since the Tiger is so light it is not an issue at all like it is with the ST with the seat up high. I do have the "low seat" ordered because one of the main reasons I have a 2nd bike is for friends and family and some are shorter than I. Retail from Triumph is just under $200 for the low seat and that drops it almost an inch. When I get it I will let you know how it helps with the height.

Del, I did not get ABS. The 1050 motor has been proven it other models for the past few years and that made me comfortable buying a first year model. The ABS was less proven which made me hesitant to go for it and my dealer would not have one until June. The bike I traded for the Tiger was an '05 SV1000S.

One of the things I love about the Tiger is the light throttle return spring which greatly reduces my throttle forearm fatigue. The bike is packed with pleasant surprises like that. Things you do not notice until you ride the bike. Other examples of this are the cushion the high seat front gives your "boys" or the hump at the back of the rider portion to help keep you planted under acceleration. Another is there is no shiny body work to worry about scratching up with your belt or knees.

Like most bikes if you close the throttle completely and rip it open you will get an initial snatch. If you use it properly it does not have the delay my ST had before I put in a new fuel pressure regulator. Stock to stock the Tiger is better than the ST for me concerning snatchiness. I have not ridden at night enough to have an opinion on the headlight. Forget the Beemer. Grab the Tiger and get the hard bags and still have some cash in your pocket!

Tarheel, I have not noticed any vibration at all. It may be there but I have been having so much fun I on the bike I may just be overlooking it!

Bike
BMW RT, DRZ400
STOC #
Like I mentioned this is number one on my short list of bikes if I were to take out a loan for a new bike. I'll be real interested in your opinion after you have a few thousand and a long ride or two on it.

My poor 1KSV... turned loose to the dealer's auction block for just anyone to buy, sigh:cry: It's for a good cause though as you sure picked what may turn out to be a great replacement :woo

OP
OP
Ashalina
Well after doing a 1,200 mile trip in 3 days with my brother where we swapped back and forth between the ST1300 and the Tiger I would say if I could have just one bike I would definitely pick the Tiger.

Though it is nice to have the bigger windshield of the ST for those long days I only get out 2 or 3 times a year to really put some miles on. Other than the bigger & adjustable windshield and fairing storage I think the Tiger won out on all other points even when a few 400 mile days. All of our riding is done with avoiding major highways as one of our main objectives. 400 miles on these roads takes much more time than 400 miles on expressways.

All the good points you read about the Tiger were affirmed to me after this trip. Some complain of the suspension being too soft but for me at 5;-10" and 175# it is the perfect blend of stability and suppleness. Cornering is easier on the Tiger than anything else I have ridden. I notice no snatchy throttle at all but that may because the snatchy ST has conditioned me.

No the Tiger hard bags do not offer the capacity of the ST but I would not expect them to either as it is a type of bike. I have the side bags and top case and it worked very well for us. It is so powerful, light, flickable, even more comfortable than the ST for me and just a hoot to drive. I never drive the ST to work because my commute is only 20 miles round trip and dealing with the heft of the ST is not worth it for me. I find I cannot leave the Tiger parked.

If you have specific questions just PM me!

Bike
Yamaha XT1200Z
STOC #
The Tiger is a fine machine, but I went for the Suzuki DL1000. The DL is my commuter or the one for a little off-road fun and although a year newer, has more miles on it than my ST!

STOC #
Beautiful bike! I'm repeatedly breaking the 10th commandment, "Do not covet thy neighbors 2007 Caspian Blue Triumph Tiger 1050". It's a pretty specific commandment...way ahead of its time.

:drool1:

OP
OP
Ashalina
Both the "short" seat and standard seat are extremely comfortable for me, but are very different. Standard seat has a soft and cushy feel but not ST stock seat cushy where the foam eventually compresses so much that you find yourself sliding in a certain direction or sitting directly on the plastic seat pan. The standard seat does a good job of never sliding you in any direction and does not allows you to move in several different positions with a nice cushy feel whether I am in the front, middle or back of the seat.

The short seat is a disappointment in that I really notice little if any difference in getting me closer to the ground. It is more stiff than stock but not in a bad way. My Corbin seats on past bikes were too firm even after several thousands of miles. Sargent was not as bad as Corbin, but still too firm for me. Tiger short seat offers firm support without being too firm so it is a comfortable seat but does not do its primary job of getting me noticeably closer to the ground.

Bike
BMW RT, DRZ400
STOC #
Thanks for the update.

Do you get the seat vibration mentioned?????? If so it seems to have not bothered you?

I sat on one in the showroom. I have a 30" inseam like Bones, and I couldn't flat foot it but could tell the balls of my feet that DID reach were more than adequate for the task of maneuvering it around.

Seat height would only be an issue for someone with a 28 inch inseam I would think so long as you don't have a rule that you must flat foot a bike. Additionally the suspension seemed to settle like a dirt bike with just a tad of weight on the seat, so it felt easy.

I can't flat foot my two up bike (Bandit) now that the Russell seat is on it, and I've found zero issues with that in riding it. It would be REAL tough to not be able flat foot a bike as weighty as the ST though. They are different animals in that regard.

After your review, the Tiger would be my number one choice for buying new at this point, but I'm curious about the vibration.

Top Bottom