Triumph Tiger 1050

A friend of mine has a Tiger 1050, we took a lunch ride Saturday and switched bikes for awhile. I've got a Harley Super Glide so they are quite different bikes. I sure liked the Triumph, even though I didn't put a lot of miles on it. Absolutely loved the engine... A sweet bike

Bike
2005 ST 1300
I just started riding with two new guys-One on a Tiger 1050 and the other on a FJR.

Rob, on the Tiger, is a very proficient rider and I have scraped my footpegs a few times trying to keep up with him on the ST13.

That tiger is some bike for sure; but I'd never give up my ST for one.

I mean I have not even dropped my ST yet; so I am not an experienced owner...LOL

Bike
2012 Black ST13
I just traded my absolutely pristine 2010 Tiger 1050 for my new ST1300. I'm 5'11" with a 30 in. inseam, and the bike was just too tall for me to be comfortable with around these hilly areas around here where I live and ride. I loved the bike except for that and a few other minor complaints. If you ride at night, you HAVE to get running lights, as the stock lights are some of the worst out there. Those are a necessity. The gel seat is nice, as well, but be sure to carry a white towel and bungee cord if the temp is over 100 degrees like it was here this summer. I think the gel gets hot enough to fry an egg in that sun. You definitely have to get the suspension sorted out for your weight and riding style, and a lot of people buy good aftermarket rear shocks. The bike is so tall that I never got really comfortable leaning it over into the sharp twisties around here. The tires make a big difference on the bike handling-wise, as well.

Other than that, had no problems with the bike and enjoyed it a lot! The triple is pretty much bullet-proof at this point, and the way it revs and pulls so smoothly it reminded me of a reostat...but some won't like that, being used to more vibration, etc. The torque curve is virtually flat, so it requires as little shifting as you might like, and it pulls strongly in 6th for passing, hills. I'd have kept it if it hadn't been so damned tall!

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
he triple is pretty much bullet-proof at this point, and the way it revs and pulls so smoothly it reminded me of a reostat...but some won't like that, being used to more vibration, etc.
Why some prefer a motor that vibrates (and some do!) to one that is smooth will continue to befuddle me.

I loved the 1050 triple in the Sprint ST.

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
Why some prefer a motor that vibrates (and some do!) to one that is smooth will continue to befuddle me.

I loved the 1050 triple in the Sprint ST.
Remember Brian Wilson?

"Gotta keep those lovin' good vibrations a happenin' with her"

I'll admit riding a dirt bike with an electric motor wouldn't be much fun but after 1000 miles on the road in one day, gimme the electric motor motor.

Top Bottom