Trying to Decide on a Bike, Differences Between ABS and non-ABS model

Bike
2003 ST1300
I'm currently in the market to purchase a used Sport Touring Motorcycle, of the two makes is the Honda ST1300 (the other is the 2008 Kawasaki Concours ABS.)

There are currently two ST1300s that I am looking at: a 2003 non-ABS model and a 2006 ABS model. Outside of the fact that one has ABS (and the other doesn't) they are roughly equivalent. The 2006 is essentially stock whereas the 2003 has a top case.

My understanding is that moving to the 2006 ABS model only provides me with ABS and an Electrically adjustable windshield (as the 2003's apparently did not have that in non-ABS.)

Are there any other differences that I am missing. I've honestly never owned a motorcycle with ABS. I do have lots of experience with riding in the rain, however I've historically only ridden cruisers (big and small.) I've only ridden sport bikes in the past when my bike was in the shop.

Normally I would pay up the extra for the ABS, but in this case the cost difference is 40% more or $3000 plus taxes (both bikes have equivalent miles.)

The plan was originally to head out this Saturday to take the bike for a test drive but now they are calling for snow. Here's to hoping it holds off to Sunday.

One side question, how much of a difference does the linked brakes make over unlinked brakes? I've only ridden bikes previously with unlinked brakes.

Thank you
Brad.

Bike
05 ST-A
STOC #
Bradr: I'm across the pond from you in Victoria. I bought an 05 ST with ABS brand new. I've loved every minute riding it. If you get a chance to ride this weekend, and you are sufficiently confident in your abilities, find a nice quiet road and run the bike up to a moderate speed and in a few runs successively apply greater braking force. After a few runs you should be able to really grab a full handful of brakes. You will not be able to lock up the ABS...they are absolutely amazing. I have had a few times when the presence of ABS has saved my soul. All my skill would not eclipse the ABS's ability to bring my bike to a safe stop as quickly. On a new ST ABS will add about a grand to the price. There are many great bikes that have come up for sale on this forum. Very few are ABS. Most bikes are US bikes and for some reason, many there seem to think that ABS is not a good investment. All Canadian ST's are ABS, after 03, which was the last year there was a choice. All BMW models being produced this year are ABS equipt. Honda has also announced that it will only produce ABS bikes in the very near future. If $3000 difference would swing you away from the ABS bike, I would hold off until you find an ABS bike that you could afford. You will not be sorry, in my view.

By the way, there are lots of threads found in this forum that argue for or against the advantages of ABS. To each his own preferences, but there is little argument that ABS is very difficult to best. In ideal situations, when there is little or no distractions, perfect attention and state of mind, a very few experienced riders can stop their bikes quicker without ABS. Throw in the usual mix of every day situations, and add less than ideal road conditions, and there is absolutely no contest.

Good luck in your deliberations. I'm hoping for no snow too.

OP
OP
Bike
2003 ST1300
bstoddart: I agree about not being able to beat an ABS bike, I'm quite sure that I would be able to stop faster on an ABS bike vs a non-ABS bike. Spending an extra $3000 for a bike with ABS is not a show stopper, but then again $3000 goes a long way towards gas and accessories.

Decisions, decisions, decision...

Fortunet 1

Fortunet1
Bike
06 ST 1300
bstoddart: I agree about not being able to beat an ABS bike, I'm quite sure that I would be able to stop faster on an ABS bike vs a non-ABS bike. Spending an extra $3000 for a bike with ABS is not a show stopper, but then again $3000 goes a long way towards gas and accessories.

Decisions, decisions, decision...
Listen to this. Take all that gas and accessories money you think you could save by not getting the ABS version....that isnt worth a wooden nickel when you peel the bike from off the rear of a car that slowed suddenly on a slick rain soaked surface. The first time you realize that your bacon was just saved, and saved again, by the ABS, you will never regret waiting for that again.
Believe me when I say its not something that you get overconfident and drive above the available traction at any given moment, but think of it as a sprinkler system installed on your home.
It comes on JUST when you needed it, (even while you were sleeping) and you didnt even get burned ! You get to ride away without a scratch, and without totaling the bike. One skid ! Is all it takes to loose control and fall.
One panic stomp and its all over with. It happened this past weekend to a rider in my group without ABS. Look at the bottom of the Team California Thread. Luckily enough the speeds were low so that he didnt get hurt, but his pretty blue Concourse was a wreck. No skid=No fall Some equiptment is worth owning...the rest are just farkles. I will never own a non ABS bike again.
And I have been riding since 1969.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Mmmm.....bacon.

Only you can decide what to do. There is a crowd that will ride nothing but ABS bikes (the saved bacon group) and many more that don't and don't really care one way or the other. There are lots of risks to manage on a motorcycle and many ST riders never have an ABS incident but then again if it is only once than you might think it worthwhile. Honda built a lot more non-ABS bikes for the US market FWIW and they are cheaper to buy. Both are the same to maintain - there is no special maintenance required with ABS.

Bike
99 ST1100
Black is a much faster color than silver - so you'll probably need the ABS on the black one.

Keep in mind you're paying $3,000 more for the '06 but you're also getting a bike that's 3 years newer and has the adjustable windshield which many love.

My advice, If you can afford it, Get the ABS bike. You may never need it - but If you do - $3,000 will seem like a small price to pay compared to a trip to the ER and the bike repair shop.

Both are great bikes but the '03 was the first year for the ST1300. I think, but I'm not sure, there are a few subtle changes made between '03 and '06 in addition to the adjustable windshield.

Did I mention that Black is FaSTer?

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
ABS - A(utomatic) B(utt) S(aver). I have two ABSII ST1100s and 1 standard, and have riden 8,000+ miles on ST1300s. Maybe kicked the ABS on two or 3 times in 230,000+ miles. Strangest one was left hand curve, nothing serious, front wheel hits a round rock, snatches the handlebars with my hand over the front brake lever. Ever thought what happens at 60 MPH leaned over and you do a full front brake grab (unintentional)? It ain't real pretty and not something you get a lot of practice doing. The ABS kicked in and saved me from skidding the front tire - well worth the price of admission. As far as linked brakes go, you'll very likely never notice the difference but it is very nice to have. It is so automatic and works very well. Good luck on your choice.

Between the two ST's, spend the extra dough and get the 2006 model. If you're lucky, it may still be under warranty as well. The 03's had some recalls and issues that you will need to make sure were addressed before you purchase in addition to giving up the adjustable windscreen and ABS.
Yep..... I have a 2005 non ABS..... I dont miss the ABS (while riding),,,, but I would DEFINATELY miss the windscreen!!!!

fiziks

I brake things.
Bike
2003 ST1300A
I've been riding since '84 and last year I got a 2003 ST1300 with ABS. I don't know about the non-ABS bikes, but I've tried hard to lock the brakes on mine and I just can't do it. But I can stop so fast I think my eyeballs are going to hemorrhage. And I know I would have locked the brakes on any other bike I've ridden in the past 25+ years. Also, living in the northern part of the continent, the electric adjustable windscreen is a very nice feature. Put it down in the summer, raise it up a little without stopping when you see the rain coming, and then lower it after the rain to quickly dry off what little got wet is nice, then raise it up again after the sun sets and things start to get chilly. Then in the fall, you can raise it higher when the temps turn cold and still park it with the screen all the way down.... very very nice.

But is it worth an extra $3k, that's for you to decide.

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I have a Non ABS but if I could have found one in my area and at my price point I surely would have gone ABS. If for no other reason than resale!! Go for it!

Bike
2010 ST 1300
I have the non-ABS St 1300 so I cannot speak to how well I would like it. I can speak to the linked brakes as this is the first bike I have owned that has them. They work flawlessly apply the foot petal and bike just swats down and stops, add the front brake lever and she really stops. Also in my opinion the adjustable wind shield is a feature I never want to live with out again. Really nice to be able to get air on you when riding around in the summer or block it when ever you wish with just the touch of a switch. Remember you are the one who will be riding the bike and the one to part with the hard earned cash to pay for it. Either way you will have great bike to enjoy for years to come.

Bike
ST1300A
I had ABS on my 04 wing, and it saved me from hitting a deer. After that incident (which was a chnage in underwear moment for sure), I decided that future bikes would have the ABS. Was lucky and found an 05 with low miles a couple of years back.

It is hard to quantify the value of the ABS. You hope you never need it, so it's not like spending $$ on a farkle that will get a lot of use. That is easier to justify. The ABS is piece of mind. It rains a lot here in the south, so wet roads are an issue a good part of the time. If I have to make a hard stop on the wet road, it is going to happen, and safely.

I would go with an ABS bike.

Last edited:

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Go with the ABS if you can do it but I have 110k miles on my non abs with no worries. But If I could have had an ABS I would have.

Norm

Vendor
Bike
KLR650
STOC #
I scanned this thread before posting to see if anyone disagreed but no one has which isn't surprising as one would have to question the validity of arguments against the Honda ST ABS systems. One should not confuse the performance of these systems with that of may automotive systems many of which, IMO, should not be approved for road use.

Unless you are on a tight timeline or intend to flip the bike in short order, go ABS.

HIH

Norm

Bike
2006 ST1300
Barto beat me to it- the 2006 is a better deal, since it is 3 years younger, and the KBB price will reflect that. I don't have ABS, and in 38 years of riding have not, but given a choice, I think I'd like it. I'd opt for the 2006 for sure.

Top Bottom