Trying to Decide on a Bike, Differences Between ABS and non-ABS model

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
One side question, how much of a difference does the linked brakes make over unlinked brakes? I've only ridden bikes previously with unlinked brakes.

Thank you
Brad.
Huge. Saved my butt once when I was rollin fast, cruise control O-Ring in place and I was sitting on the pillion seat. All I could reach right away was the front brake while I got schooched up to the correct riding position. It was a scary moment that wass only worse when it appeared that I lost my cigar during this moment.

Thankfully I had another.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Norm beat me to what I was going to say...but I'll say it anyway. With my professional experience with cage ABS systems, I feel most should not be allowed on the road. The first thing I do to one of my vehicles, if equipped with ABS, is to disable it. Most cage ABS systems are terrible, especially American vehicles.

BUT...I think bike ABS systems, especially Honda, seem to be very problem-free, absolutely invisible (meaning no strange handling quirks), and it does it's job without you knowing it did it...making it a very good system.

Linked brakes: I like my linked brakes, and they do a great job of stopping the bike. Yes, they add complexity to the system, but with basic maintenance, they should continue working well.

That said...personally, I wouldn't bother paying extra for ABS, but unlike a cage, I wouldn't be afraid to have it on the bike if a good deal on an ABS bike came along. Between the two bikes you mentioned, I like the '03 because of price; and the '06 simply for the adjustable windshield, which I use all the time on my '06, and wouldn't go without. Our weather constantly changes, with a 40 degree tamp. range and sun or rain all on the same day, so being able to block the elements when needed, but lower it for additional airflow when the temp rises, is important to me.

Good luck with the purchase...only you can decide what is important to you, and decide how much its worth paying for.

Jim

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Linked brakes on the ST1300 are essentially transparent in function. If you didn't know about them being linked you would probably not even notice. You can drag the rear for control in slow speed maneuvers and trail brake deep into corners with the front as if they were not linked.

Bike
2010 ST1300A
STOC #
As someone mentioned previously, BMW bikes now come standard with ABS and so do the 2012 ST's so the manufactures see the value. As a result, so will future buyers. I just bought a new 2010 ST and I felt that the ABS option was worth the extra money. I ride in rush hour traffic and for sudden stops I felt that it was a valuable option to have "just in case." I may be forced into an emergency situation and thought I might benefit from any help I can get if it comes to that. Ultimately, it is your decision but I would spend my money on safety first. My 2 cents.

Bike
2014 R1200RT W
STOC #
I agree the $3000.00 difference is for the newer bike. Even brand new the ABS is only $1200. more than a non mdl. Spend the money you will be glad you did.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Real riders with skills don't need ABS.
Or for those that choose not to over estimate their ability to grab just the right amount of brake 100% of the time. I applaud your skill in knowing you can. :bow1:;)

Fortunet 1

Fortunet1
Bike
06 ST 1300
Or for those that choose not to over estimate their ability to grab just the right amount of brake 100% of the time. I applaud your skill in knowing you can. :bow1:;)

And I applaud the diplomatic way you chose those words. :bow1:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Whatever you ride practice chirping and releasing the front tire at 30 mph every few rides then practice threshold braking to a full stop after that. In an emergency we only do what we practice and program into subconscious muscle memory. If you don't practice then who knows what you will do.

Fortunet 1

Fortunet1
Bike
06 ST 1300
Whatever you ride practice chirping and releasing the front tire at 30 mph every few rides then practice threshold braking to a full stop after that. In an emergency we only do what we practice and program into subconscious muscle memory. If you don't practice then who knows what you will do.
THAT my friend, is some VERY good advise.:bow1:

OP
OP
Bike
2003 ST1300
Thanks to everyone for their opinions.

In the end I ended up purchasing the 2003 non-ABS model and got to ride it for the first time today. It was a blast I already cannot wait to go out again.

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
The '03 is a great bike. The ST overall is one of the most enjoyable bikes to spend time on. Whether that is to the store or to Alaska. There is just nothing like it. The durability and ease of ownership makes the ST a pleasure to "get on it and go."

Have fun, hang around here and be careful to not let the ST Bug get too far under your skin.

Top Bottom