U.S. source for F2/F3 LED headlight bulb for '88 R100RT?

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
No, you don't want those for an ST1100. See post #3 for the reasons why.

Below is an example of what you want but look around, you can find them cheaper.

Thanks! I don’t know how I missed post #3
The set I have in now, look like the last one in that post. I’ve been running one of them along with a Philips Motovision ( great non-LED bulb) which burned out near the end of last season. With both LEDs now I notice the light is scattered. So the Philips was doing all the work.
I don’t like to ride at night but sometimes I get caught coming back late. I have PIAAs under the mirrors, that are very helpful down the sides, though but they suck up the amps.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
The auxito (above) is half baked, it only uses half of your reflector and is missing the offset.
The red Alla that Larry pointed to is the F3. I still use the F3 in my ST1300, but have the Cougar motors F2 plus version in my cages.

I think you will be happiest with the f2 plus that I and andrew pointed to, sold by Cougar motors and any others that are exactly like the F2 plus version.

You will note that it has slightly larger leds than the original F2, but has the same shield as the F2.
note that the leds have an offset, the low beam led sits higher than the high beam led. a very important attribute of the H4!
Being a daily commuter. I Ride at night during the winter months, So good lighting is a must.
The F2 plus is so good, that Aux lights must be equivalent or you do not get any improvement....
see my Passing light thread here Passing lights -- lots of good info so read the whole thing.....

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
You may want to shop around or call Cindy or look for another seller with a product that meets spiderman's listed specs. From the Amazon link:

Cougar Motor H4/9003 LED Bulb
1 option from $146.38

That whole $140 price range is a little rich for my blood. But I've got decent LED bulbs so I'm alright.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
You may want to shop around or call Cindy or look for another seller with a product that meets spiderman's listed specs. From the Amazon link:

Cougar Motor H4/9003 LED Bulb
1 option from $146.38

That whole $140 price range is a little rich for my blood. But I've got decent LED bulbs so I'm alright.
Agreed, I would never pay that price for them.

I don't shop on Amazon. It is is just an easy place to get an example that everyone can see. This was the first example that I came by and posted it only for illustration purposes. These bulbs were available at less than half that price the last time that I looked a few months ago.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
These bulbs were available at less than half that price the last time that I looked a few months ago.
I do shop on Amazon and have seen this happen before.

While there are are probably other factors that affect pricing Amazon watches sales and often adjusts (as in increases) prices when an item starts selling well. Whether it's watchbots or an algorithm I don't know. But yeah the last time I looked at this thread it was less than half price as you note.

Amazon is a convenient place to shop vs waiting for Cindy to ship but in this case it might be well worth it.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
Thanks, I think I am getting the idea now of what to look for. Is the F2 and F3 referring to a design or actual manufacturer? I remember taking a closer look a few months ago after some of your (spiderman302) threads, but was overwhelmed :biggrin: and found that the Canadian Amazon site didn't have exactly the same thing as the US site. I may just go back to the MotoVision bulbs (Halogen) as they last a long time, and provide great light.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Is the F2 and F3 referring to a design or actual manufacturer?
Just a moniker by the manufacturer who first released this design- Evitek. It has no significance, other manufacturers use other terms.
I may just go back to the MotoVision bulbs (Halogen) as they last a long time, and provide great light.
I would suggest that you go with the LED's. Much better light, much less current draw. They are worth a little bit of effort.

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
Just a moniker by the manufacturer who first released this design- Evitek. It has no significance, other manufacturers use other terms.

I would suggest that you go with the LED's. Much better light, much less current draw. They are worth a little bit of effort.
Ok, I will continue the search! Thanks

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Here's some Cdn Amazon links for the bulbs. Prices vary.

Orginal F2 (I have these ones) $45.52 + tax, free shipping. These are a huge improvement over halogen bulbs and priced comparable to decent halogens.
TOOGOO New 2Pcs F2 Car Headlight Led 72W 12000Lm Auto Bulb Head Light lamp 6500K Led Headlight Bulbs(H4) : Amazon.ca: Everything Else
1683157510619.png

current F2+ pricey at $146.38 +tax,free delivery
Cougar Motor Flagship H4 LED Bulbs, Super Bright 20000LM 6500K Conversion Kit - Cool White (9003), Halogen Replacement, Headlight Bulbs - Amazon Canada
1683157758867.png

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
Here's some Cdn Amazon links for the bulbs. Prices vary.

Orginal F2 (I have these ones) $45.52 + tax, free shipping. These are a huge improvement over halogen bulbs and priced comparable to decent halogens.
TOOGOO New 2Pcs F2 Car Headlight Led 72W 12000Lm Auto Bulb Head Light lamp 6500K Led Headlight Bulbs(H4) : Amazon.ca: Everything Else
1683157510619.png

current F2+ pricey at $146.38 +tax,free delivery
Cougar Motor Flagship H4 LED Bulbs, Super Bright 20000LM 6500K Conversion Kit - Cool White (9003), Halogen Replacement, Headlight Bulbs - Amazon Canada
1683157758867.png
Thanks those first ones look like my price range!:biggrin:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Thanks those first ones look like my price range!:biggrin:
Go for it. I am still running the original G6 version, and they were a big improvement over halogen. Everyone writes that the F2 are far and away better than the G6, so I don't think that you can go wrong. Don't forget that that price is for two bulbs. At that price, they are probably cheaper than any two good quality halogens anyway.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
I have bought my replacement LEDs from Superbright LEDs - and have always been happy.

They have a list of direct replacement for incandescent-to-LED replacements which was invaluable for replacing the 10 (!!) dash and idiot lights on my old Yamaha XS650s to LEDs.

Some people think that XS650 vibrates, but I prefer to think of it as just "jivin' along to the rhythm of the road".

IMG_1729_a.JPG

Anyhow, the incandescent bulbs had a lifespan measured in minutes on the ole' gal - it was just about impossible to keep them all working at once - but I haven't changed a single LED since I swapped over a few years ago.

Pete

Bike
2021 R1250RT
I have bought my replacement LEDs from Superbright LEDs - and have always been happy.

They have a list of direct replacement for incandescent-to-LED replacements which was invaluable for replacing the 10 (!!) dash and idiot lights on my old Yamaha XS650s to LEDs.

Some people think that XS650 vibrates, but I prefer to think of it as just "jivin' along to the rhythm of the road".

IMG_1729_a.JPG

Anyhow, the incandescent bulbs had a lifespan measured in minutes on the ole' gal - it was just about impossible to keep them all working at once - but I haven't changed a single LED since I swapped over a few years ago.

Pete
Looks to be a well preserved example.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Looks to be a well preserved example.
That is Betty - and she was a rusty wreck when I got her.

BTW - that colour was an optional 1978-only shade that Yamaha called "Dark Forest Jade". I have seen A LOT of XS650Es (the '78 model designator) but only one or two green ones. All of the others (like 95%+) were black. That green paint code isn't available any more but a buddy in South Carolina had an NOS sidecover in that shade and he shipped it up to me for colour-matching at our local body shop supplies place. It turned out that a 1972 green colour used by Opel in Germany was a perfect match - so they mixed me up a load of that paint and I sent everything to Jim D.

For folks who need paint - PM me and I will put you in touch with Jim (he's also on the XS650.com forum) who painted Betty. Jim lives in KC and is by far the best painter I know. He is an ex-USAF aircraft technician and a great friend.

Cheers,

Pete

Top Bottom