Ugh! Health issues. Bladder cancer not yet resolved.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Latest news, shortage of recommended meds is keeping a wrench in the works. TICE BCG is recommended as a bladder wash, weekly for 6 weeks. Not available anywhere in the US. VA is searching without success so far. This med has been in use world wide for 100 years as a Tuberculosis vaccine. Since about 1976 as an anti-bladder cancer med. It's been on "allocation" and bvackorder since 2019. Original TIRP procedure provides 64% survival after 5 years, add the med and survival jumps up to 95%. Currently no alternatives available.

Ya, we're still searching.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
That sucks George. Wishing you find a source of that treatment as quickly as possible...

Bike
2010 ST1300
I just did a quick search and can echo your findings. There is apparently a world wide shortage of this vaccine. I'm sorry to hear that you need it.

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I'm currently undergoing bladder cancer treatment. At the University of Iowa, they gave me th option of BCG, saying they had plenty, but they also offered a new treatment, that seems to have a better track record, but it doesn't have the long history of BCG. They instill Gemcitabine for 90 minutes, drain it and the install Docetaxcel and remove the catheter and tell me to pee it out in another 90 minutes. Once per week for 6 weeks, then monthly for 2 years. I'm 6 months into it and my recent cystoscopy and urine tests were all negative for traces of cancer. Not sure how widespread this treatment is, but there are alternatives to BCG.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Hate to hear news like this. We live in the richest country and can't get medicine for our people....something not right here. I will pray for you.

OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Gotta luv this site! First good news I've had recently.

Bill, I'll pass this info to my Urologist.

I'm also pursuing the lawsuit against Zantac.
I'm currently undergoing bladder cancer treatment. At the University of Iowa, they gave me th option of BCG, saying they had plenty, but they also offered a new treatment, that seems to have a better track record, but it doesn't have the long history of BCG. They instill Gemcitabine for 90 minutes, drain it and the install Docetaxcel and remove the catheter and tell me to pee it out in another 90 minutes. Once per week for 6 weeks, then monthly for 2 years. I'm 6 months into it and my recent cystoscopy and urine tests were all negative for traces of cancer. Not sure how widespread this treatment is, but there are alternatives to BCG.
Thanks, Bill. I'll pass this to my Urologist. His assistant confirmed to me on Friday, BCG has been on bacackorder for at least a couple years. Why would U of I have a ready supply when neither my Urologist nor the VA can find it. Time for more phone calls.

The chemo you're currently receiving sounds like a good option. Another could be the Russian variant of BCG, already approved in Canada. Supposed to be a 3 year trial in the US starting in 2022. FDA approval required.

Thanks again for the info and best wishes.

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Gotta luv this site! First good news I've had recently.

Bill, I'll pass this info to my Urologist.

I'm also pursuing the lawsuit against Zantac.

Thanks, Bill. I'll pass this to my Urologist. His assistant confirmed to me on Friday, BCG has been on bacackorder for at least a couple years. Why would U of I have a ready supply when neither my Urologist nor the VA can find it. Time for more phone calls.

The chemo you're currently receiving sounds like a good option. Another could be the Russian variant of BCG, already approved in Canada. Supposed to be a 3 year trial in the US starting in 2022. FDA approval required.

Thanks again for the info and best wishes.
My local urologist could not access BCG either. I had three TURBTs, each about 18 months apart when we also found prostate cancer, then he referred me to the university. They also did a TUR and found a few small areas of cancer. Even the regimen that I'm on would be difficult for a private urologist. It requires the pharmacy to draw it up just before administration, then you have to have a room to use for at least 90 minutes. Could be that because the university is a research center that they have access to BCG or maybe they are using the Russian version. Have your urologist give them a call. My doctor is Dr. Packiam. Let us know how it turns out. Best wishes.

Now that my bladder cancer seems to be under control, we are scheduling in my prostate cancer surgery. They had me take an androgen blocker to keep it under control until the bladder cancer was under control. PSA dropped from 8.9 to 0.17. Lots of hot flashes. I bet some of the other members here have gone through prostatectomies. Anyone want to speak up about their experience?

OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Thanks for all the info, Bill. I'll pass it to my urologist. Maybe something good can happen.

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
hi Bill , I had radical prostatectomy in 2007. Everything went fine . (or as fine as it could) Long story short 15 years later PSA has been climbing slowly for a few years. All kinds of tests couldn't find anything. Finaly found the little culprit it was about 3 mm and PSA was about 6.5. Had "Laser knife" treatment for 6 weeks in April / May treatments are absolutely painless! each one takes about 15 minutes a day 5 days a week. side effects were being gasey and loose stool . 3 months later Psa tested at 0.1 and doctors expect it will continue to go down to 0.0. hope this is what they have in mind for you. Did ride bike to treatments. Becoming middle aged like we are is not for sissies!

Last edited:
Top Bottom