Ugh! Health issues. Bladder cancer not yet resolved.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
(Mild hijack, but related.)
I've just been diagnosed with early prostate cancer, fully treatable / curable.
Doc is leaning toward radiation, 29 to 39 treatments, going 5 days / week. I'm preferring surgery, for several reasons.
So I'm doing my due diligence, not being obstinate, but let's face it-- who is more interested, or more directly impacted by the procedures, the docs, or me?
Many patients are too trusting of "professionals", and don't take responsibility for themselves, to the point of giving over complete control and authority to someone they hardly even know.
I didn't know this guy before being referred to him after the diagnosis. It's not my nature to accept anything much, without asking questions.
I'm still deciding, but also still leaning towards surgery.
To be determined...
I have 3 B-I-L with prostate issues, 2 cancer and 1 just an enlarged prostate.

As a result of above I'm done a fair amount to reading on prostate issues. It's a bit of a numbers game. What is your PSA now and what is your Gleason score. U.S surgeons have a reputation of aggressively treating prostate cancer that slow growing and may never give you any issues. The downside of aggressive treatment would be negative side effects of surgery such as impotence or incontinence.

The 2 B-I-L with prostate cancer have been doing active surveillance. Both are 10 years into it. One still has low PSA and low Gleason scores and will continue on with AS, the other had numbers that indicated an issue and he decided to have surgery 10 years after the initial diagnosis. In most cases, prostate cancer is slow growing and you have time to consider options, so don't be rushed into a procedure you may regret.

Sharpes, Florida , formally, Nevada City, CA
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
I have 3 B-I-L with prostate issues, 2 cancer and 1 just an enlarged prostate.

As a result of above, I'm done a fair amount to reading on prostate issues. It's a bit of a numbers game. What is your PSA now and what is your Gleason score. U.S surgeons have a reputation of aggressively treating prostate cancer that slow-growing and may never give you any issues. The downside of aggressive treatment would be negative side effects of surgery such as impotence or incontinence.

The 2 B-I-L with prostate cancer has been doing active surveillance. Both are 10 years into it. One still has low PSA and low Gleason scores and will continue on with AS, the other had numbers that indicated an issue and he decided to have surgery 10 years after the initial diagnosis. In most cases, prostate cancer is slow-growing and you have time to consider options, so don't be rushed into a procedure you may regret.
[/QUOTE
I had the surgery a year and a half ago with a Gleason score of 10, my PSA was less than <0.01 after the surgery, but within 6 months it was back up to 0.2, so last spring I had 39 radiation treatments that got the PSA back down tp <0.01. I addition, I have to take hormone shots for up to a year. The hormone shots kill your strength and stamina. No fun at all!

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
What is your PSA now and what is your Gleason score. U.S surgeons have a reputation of aggressively treating prostate cancer that slow growing and may never give you any issues.
yeah, this is a peeve of mine. My PSA earlier this year was 29.0, and has been in the teens to twenties for the last 15 years or so. I have an enlarged prostate, 3 negative biopsies, and 1 negative MRI. The whole PSA game seems like random number generation to me. I have a friend with confirmed prostate cancer and his PSA numbers are far lower than mine. I know its the only thing they have to go by these days, but I'm not happy about it.

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I had the surgery a year and a half ago with a Gleason score of 10, my PSA was less than <0.01 after the surgery, but within 6 months it was back up to 0.2, so last spring I had 39 radiation treatments that got the PSA back down tp <0.01. I addition, I have to take hormone shots for up to a year. The hormone shots kill your strength and stamina. No fun at all!

I'm on probably the same stuff--Lupron, to shut down testosterone which feeds most prostate cancers. Been on it for the last six months waiting to get the bladder cancer under control before we do the prostatectomy. Hot flashes, some breast enlargement. I blame it for not being able to lose weight. Hopefully will be off it for good after the surgery next month.

Sharpes, Florida , formally, Nevada City, CA
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #

I'm on probably the same stuff--Lupron, to shut down testosterone which feeds most prostate cancers. Been on it for the last six months waiting to get the bladder cancer under control before we do the prostatectomy. Hot flashes, some breast enlargement. I blame it for not being able to lose weight. Hopefully will be off it for good after the surgery next month.
I don't know what they call it, but it is a female hormone. My lady laughs at me when I complain about the hot flashes. The hormone shots sure cut back on my MC riding this summer.
Best of luck with your treatment and upcoming surgery. My surgery was a breeze, the worst part of the whole experience was having to wear a catheter for a week.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
As a result of above I'm done a fair amount to reading on prostate issues. It's a bit of a numbers game. What is your PSA now and what is your Gleason score. U.S surgeons have a reputation of aggressively treating prostate cancer that slow growing and may never give you any issues. The downside of aggressive treatment would be negative side effects of surgery such as impotence or incontinence.
St
Still researching.
PSA was 6.7, Gleason was 3/4. I'm told it's in early stages, but "intermediate" aggressive in nature.
Another doctor friend of ours recently told my wife, "Yeah, if a man lives long enough, he's 'almost" bound to get prostate cancer."
Doctors aren't perfect - that's why they have a medical "practice" - and all that I've met, have opinions too. Kinda like regular people, y'know?

Rineyville, KY (summer) Hernando Beach, FL (winter
I am surprised to see this post. I was diagnosed with an aggressive bladder cancer just over a year ago and have undergone several bladder sections (scraping). After the next to the last scraping, the biopsies showed no cancer, but a couple months later cancer was found in the bladder when the urologist did an cystoscopy. Another bladder section was performed and after no cancer was found. Fingers crossed until the next syciscopy in early November. Between the need to use a catheter for periods of time after the bladder sections and the urgency and frequent urinations, my general health has taken a beating. However, I am gradually gaining strength and stamina and am back to riding my motorcycles, mowing, and doing general maintenance around the house. This has been a very difficult time. If there is no cancer found at the next cystoscopy, the urologist would like to start treatments using tuberculosis virus once a week for six weeks.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
When diagnosed B-I-L's PSA scores were <10 and the Gleason score after the first biopsy was 3/3 or 6. One BIL is still in this range and will continue on with active surveillance, but the second advanced over a 10 year period with PSA over 10 and Gleason of 3/4 or 7, so he had surgery and his prognosis is good, don't have any numbers on what his PSA is now.

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I am surprised to see this post. I was diagnosed with an aggressive bladder cancer just over a year ago and have undergone several bladder sections (scraping). After the next to the last scraping, the biopsies showed no cancer, but a couple months later cancer was found in the bladder when the urologist did an cystoscopy. Another bladder section was performed and after no cancer was found. Fingers crossed until the next syciscopy in early November. Between the need to use a catheter for periods of time after the bladder sections and the urgency and frequent urinations, my general health has taken a beating. However, I am gradually gaining strength and stamina and am back to riding my motorcycles, mowing, and doing general maintenance around the house. This has been a very difficult time. If there is no cancer found at the next cystoscopy, the urologist would like to start treatments using tuberculosis virus once a week for six weeks.
My cancer was found about 3 1/2 years ago, scraped out, then cystoscopic surveillance. Found a recurrence 18 months later, another scraping. All good until 18 months after that, then another recurrence and another scraping. Then, with the addition of the prostate cancer, I was sent to the University where they did another scraping under UV light after instilling a dye that clings to cancer cells and they found a few (otherwise imperceptible) nests of cancer and scraped them out and started treatments not long after. Some doctors start some sort of treatment right away. Mine was also aggressive, but superficial. Looking back, I think it would have been better to start some sort of treatment earlier, and I would suggest you urge your doctor to seriously consider it. They chances of death from bladder cancer are much greater than those from prostate cancer. The University is set up to do these treatments much more easily than most private doctors offices

OP
OP
George
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
All the same here. I’ve had 2 scrapes. Going in for another c-scope on 10-19. TB med is not yet available. My VA center in Prescott nor my Urologist can get it.

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Great news Geroge. Keep us informed. My bladder cancer treatment is on hold while I undergo prostate surgery later this week. It should resume when everything heals up.

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Good news, George. Is it 6 weeks and done or do you have some monthly treatments after that?

Top Bottom