Up on the center stand without getting off?

Bike
2004 st1300
After watching a guy who weighs 20# less than me pop an '05 Connie up on its center stand without getting off, I decided to try it when I got into my garage yesterday afternoon. Pulled the ST into its normal space between my Fat Bob and a big shelving unit, pushed down of the center stand until I though both legs were touching and viola! over she went. Luckily we went toward the shelving unit not the Harley. I was able to hold it just shy of the tip-over cover touch down with my left leg, reach over and push against the shelving unit to right the bike.

Coulda been real bad if it had gone all the way as the windshield woulda been nailed on the shelving unit shelf, the mirror on a large plastic trunk under the shelving unit and me between the bike and the unit. Whew!

Next time I'll try it outside with somebody standing by to catch me. If the guy on the Connie can do it, I should be able to, right? Anybody ever done it?

Then again maybe this wasn't a tip over since we didn't hit the ground-sure felt like it!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Getting it on the center stand without getting off the bike?

The problem with that trick is it's great when it works but pretty bad when it doesn't... I'd play the lotto before gambling on that one.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
When you try it again please have the video tape running as we would all love to see this!! Good luck!

Mike

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
Gotta be hard using that fancy handle they put on the side of the bike for that purpose from the seated position. I would never try it. Being vertically challenged I can barely touch the ground when sitting on the center stand.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
If the guy on the Connie can do it, I should be able to, right? Anybody ever done it?
I think the ease of the connie was in relationship tothe honda was the lenght of the centerstand... they are different bikes with differnt lenght centerstands. Some bikes have ride off centerstands too, but not the honda.

Now if you could shorten the honda CS by an inch or two where the rear wheel is only a hair off the ground , you'll prob be able to get on the CS while on the bike.

OP
OP
Bike
2004 st1300
In retrospect, I'll probably not try it again-I didn't like that Connie rider that much anyway. As they say, good judgment comes from experience, but most experience comes from bad judgment

Bike
ST1300 Honda
STOC #
Hi All
I have a 7-1/4 X 7-1/4 X 3/4 inch pice of plywood that I put under the rear tire when I want to put the ST on the center stand. When it is on the stand I then take the wood and stand it up under the oil pan so the bike will rest on it. At that point both tire roll free and the bike is vary stable.
As far as trying to put it on the center stand when on the seat!
I am 5'4" tall. Once it started to go over I might as well jump off the house.
Rick

Katmando64

R.I.P. - 2012/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
2008 ST1300
Well....I am shocked that no one has ever done this! I personally do it quite a bit...mainly because I am just too lazy to get off and then lift!
This only works on a flat hard surface, as in your garage or driveway.
While sitting on the bike, lean it onto your right foot. Lift your left foot, find the centerstand and push down until you feel the bike centered on the two legs. Now stand up on the centerstand and pull the handlebars toward you at the same time and up it will go.
Many times I do this while the bike is still running...make sure it is in neutral :eek:: (did that once, will NOT do again)
I don't recommend doing this...but if you are as energy challenged as me, you will like it! :p:

Ross Smith

Ross
Bike
1999 St1100
Sorry, but I gotta ask... Why do you want to put the bike up on the center stand that way??

The handle, stand and bike's center of gravity all make it almost effortless for just about any gender or height.

?Ross

Bike
ST1300
I do it when I put the bike away for the winter. BUT, I place the rear tire on a 3/4" piece of plywood and grab the garage wall as support. It goes up easy.
I don't have the strength, or the stones :censored, to try it any other way.

Mountain Mike

I frequent the IBA Motel
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Sorry, but I gotta ask... Why do you want to put the bike up on the center stand that way??

The handle, stand and bike's center of gravity all make it almost effortless for just about any gender or height.

?Ross
I must be doing it wrong, its always a fight for me. I grab the handle, left handlebar, foot on the horn of the center stand and usually have to use my thigh with a grunt, and usually get it the second try....

Edit: I am pushing down on the foot as I pull up on the handle.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Push down on the pedal and BACK on the lift handle. If you're pulling up on the lift handle you're gonna bust a nut.
Don't do it in super slow motion and let the momentum help sort of rock it back and up.

Mountain Mike

I frequent the IBA Motel
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Push down on the pedal and BACK on the lift handle. If you're pulling up on the lift handle you're gonna bust a nut.
Don't do it in super slow motion and let the momentum help sort of rock it back and up.
Ill practice more rear motion when I can access my camel again. (Hmm, that looks wrong.)

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Hmmm....errrr.... :think1:
There is nothing I can say that won't end up in the bit bucket.:rofl1:

Bike
07 Yamaha FJR1300AE
I just sold a Concours that I owned for 5 years, and I believe it was designed to put up on the centerstand while sitting on it. I did that all the time and it became easy for me.
Now I have a ST1300 and I've been doing it the same way. Is this wrong?

Bike
03 ST1300 89 pc
I think this is for the tall riders. Vertically challenged me doesnt stand a chance

Top Bottom