Up on the center stand without getting off?

Bike
07 Yamaha FJR1300AE
Not wrong if you can pull it off.
Can you explain your technique?
On both bikes my method is the same.
1) be on / over the bike
2) stand the bike upright wth the kickstand down (for safety, in case she tips over I always try to favor tipping to the left)
3) butt lightly on the seat, left hand on the left side handle, right hand on the throttle grip, right foot on ground, left foot on centerstand peg.
4) put the center stand down with my foot and adjust the bike right-left. Make sure it's level and both sides of the centerstand are planted squarely on the ground.
5) push down HARD with the left leg while pulling up&back with the left hand. Right hand helps balance but not much else. The left leg does all the work.
At this point the bike will be moving backward and as long as you keep it balanced it will rock back onto the centerstand. It helps sometimes to park on a slight incline with the front wheel higher than the rear. Never try the opposite. :eek::

I've always been afraid to do it off the bike because if it were to fall over I have no way to stop it. I can keep it balanced if I'm on it.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Push down on the pedal and BACK on the lift handle. If you're pulling up on the lift handle you're gonna bust a nut.
Don't do it in super slow motion and let the momentum help sort of rock it back and up.
make sure both sides (leg pads) of the centerstand are touching the floor too... (sometimes it feels like its leaning away from you to do this.)

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
This thread reminds me of the time I saw my dog licking his backside and........

Ross Smith

Ross
Bike
1999 St1100
It really is easy, (to those who've said they're having a harder time of it). Just keep your foot on the CS pedal and "pull" backwards. Another way to think of it is you try to "pull" the handle and foot pedal apart using your leg and arm. Don't lift! The bike will almost roll up on the stand by itself. My wife is only 5' 6" and is anything but burly. After a couple of tries she managed to do it while I held the bars on the other side.

Ross

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
As an exercise in humility I can share that I have tried the reverse on my VFR800 and the result was disasterous! I was at a summer sport touring rally, and the day before I saw an instructor rock off his centerstand slick as you please on his GS1200 and thought it looked cool. Looking cool and being cool were two different things I was to find out. The next day we were on a multi-stop ride, and at one of the stops I thought I would try the stunt I had observed. Not considering that I was parked on an incline, I proceeded to rock my VFR off it's center stand and my short 29 inch inseam legs couldn't touch the ground quickly enough and over to the left I went. The worst part was that my friend was parked next to me on his FJR and I careened into him knocking him over too. I was humiliated and felt like a total jerk for knocking over my friend's bike. Luckily he only sustained a very small scrape on his left side case from the mishap, but I forced him to accept a cash payment for painting the case. I'll never do that again!

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
I own a 2000 Connie, and I am hear to tell you that there is no way anyone can do that with the stock center stand. The Connie you saw put on the stand from the seat definately had a cut down stand. I still talk in a higher octave since the last time I put the Connie on the center stand. The "Red Velvet Cup cake" (08 ST) is so much easier to put on the stand. Mean 13

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I tried this today... the cast comes off in a few weeks..

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
As an exercise in humility I can share that I have tried the reverse on my VFR800 and the result was disasterous!
Now this is something I do pretty frequently, although I do make sure I'm on level ground. In fact, I think I've done this since my very first bike. I like being able to touch both feet down coming off the stand. No worries about it leaning away from me.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Now this is something I do pretty frequently, although I do make sure I'm on level ground. In fact, I think I've done this since my very first bike. I like being able to touch both feet down coming off the stand. No worries about it leaning away from me.
Part of life that taller folks like yourself (compared to my short 5'7") enjoy. I have to be very careful with my VFR and ST whenever stopping, parking, etc., letting my guard down is asking for a tip over. I never really felt like a munchkin until I starting riding bikes...

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
Part of life that taller folks like yourself (compared to my short 5'7") enjoy. I have to be very careful with my VFR and ST whenever stopping, parking, etc., letting my guard down is asking for a tip over. I never really felt like a munchkin until I starting riding bikes...
LOL. I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
An inch can really make a difference to some! Especially if it's all in the legs (ie. seat height).

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
Since reading this thread have tried this a couple times...two in the garage and once at the gas pump. Interestingly enough it didn't work on any of them, either my technique is bad or I don't get enough 'uuumph' on the bike to make it all the way up. The back does rise, so it seems like it 'wants' to go. I just don't want to drop it trying. Althought there's not much chance of that as the CS is firmly on the ground while I'm standing on the left side of it. The garage attempts were more serious; at the pump, I just laughed inside my helmet and gave up before I seriously embarassed myself further. Dismounted CS is no problem and I use it regularly during refill.

OP
OP
Bike
2004 st1300
I may try it again sometime-only for educational purposes you understand, IF I've got 2 friends standing right there to catch me. In my mind, I can do it:bsflag:

Top Bottom