using a throttlemeister

victor

VICSST
Bike
2009 st 1300
hello fellow STers
Anybody out there have a throttlemeister? They seem pretty cool and easy to install-is this true?
Also seem a little spendy any good deals out there?

Bike
2012 GL1800 III
I have one installed . Their easy to install , but must admit I don't use it much, highway use mostly. I put on a G2 Throttle tube and BMW grips, using Teknic Violator gloves a relaxed hand will hold the throttle steady ...

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
I use it but I haven't been able to master adjusting the thing while maintaining speed, so I leave it on slight tension all the time. Yes, it is pricey, but it looks factory so that's a bonus. I'm not sure I would go for that option again. I'd love to hear how others adjust it on the fly...

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Easy to install and I think one of the better accessories...
It is initially difficult to master holding the gas in one position and spinning the TM; but, over time (and I do mean *over time*) it gets to be second nature. I don't even think about it anymore... as soon as I get up to speed it just 'goes on' and stays on until I'm either stopping for gas, where I want to be, in traffic or in the twisty parts.

FJRHank

"Scooter Pimp"
Here's a link to a poll I did on this subject.

There's little doubt that the throttlemeister is an attractive piece of equipment. spendy yes. But honestly, my experience was that it's just about a million times more difficult to engage then a simple, some say less attractive, vista cruise.

I know some like to keep the throttlemeister partly engaged all the time. But that defeats the design of the "snap shut" throttle, which is there in case the bike ever gets unexpectedly away from you.

The vista cruise can be engaged with just a flick of your thumb, no change in speed whatsoever. Disengaged just as easily. So you can basically use it anytime, you don't need some long stretch of highway.

The comments by the people in the thread above are worth the read.

good luck in your choice.

I have one and while I like the looks of it I don't feel real comfortable using it. I've tried it mainly on the interstates but find that I have to constantly adjust the throttle to compensate for hills. I have not been able to master the setting yet. If I had it to do over I don't think I would buy it I would just opt for a $10 Crampbuster which to me seems to work much better and I don't have to worry about the snap shut throttle being impeded

STark1050

Garry Franklin
Bike
03 st1300
I have one thats been on my bike for the last 7 years and 55K. It looks cool and is sometimes useful but I would not buy another one. It is my personal thing that it does not feel right to take my right hand off of the bars. I would like to ride a bike with cruise control just to see if I could use it.
--Garry--

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have had the TM since I bought my bike and like it but I haven't had an electronic CC. I learned to set it and release it with one hand about 75,000 miles ago.

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I've had one for several years. I found a seller on Ebay, once, that machined a knurled ring that goes around it, making it much easier to set--just a swipe of the finger. Using it mainly on long stretches of freeway. Don't use it around traffic, on/off exits or twisities.

Bill

OP
OP

victor

VICSST
Bike
2009 st 1300
thanks everyone for all the info. Seems like it is a love it or hate it deal-now I'm really on the fence! lol
I kinda made a mistake I thought they were $200 so 130-145 isn't so bad.Thanks again, this is a great site!!:amflag:

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
The Kaoko (http://www.kaokousa.com/) works much the same way as the Throttlemeister, but I think it's easier to engage. There's a cog shaped ring that you and push down with your pinkie finger to lock it. Price is about the same; neither one is cheap, but they're both well made.

Sabre

Pr?t? Allez!
Bike
'04 ST1300
I've had a Throttlemeister on my Triumph Tiger for five years and I like it. Yes, it's very awkward when you first try to use it, but it quickly becomes second nature and I never had much frustration learning.

It looks OEM (or better!), and is a snap to install and adjust. Like ANY friction-based cruise control, you will constantly have to adjust it on hills. Well, duh! On the other hand, I didn't spend a thousand dollars on it! They're usually available for $130 or so, and are often sold used for half that. I like its stealthiness in that it doesn't rob the grip of any real estate.

Now, my new ST has a very well-engineered and pricey lock, a BrakeAway. I like the feature of instant disengagement with front brake application. However, there are several things that I do NOT like about it at all. First, it robs 3/4" of my right grip, so my man-sized paw is hanging off the grip. Hate that. Second, it puts a huge amount of friction into the throttle so that its action is stiff and tiring. That's a real pain in the pie. Third, it can't be used with heated grips (per the manufacturer) and I rely upon same in my year-round commuting, and fourth, it can't be used with larger-diameter grips.

Since I plan on fitting both larger-diameter as well as heated grips, I'm going to ditch the fancy BrakeAway and will, almost certainly, be shopping for a Throttlemeister.

i had a vistacruse on the old bike...they all work reasonably good if all you want is to hold a certaint throttle position. the only draw back is that conditions are ALWAYS changing. and at any setting you'll still be adjusting the throttle to maintain speed. in my own experence, i had to adjust the postion about every 5--10 seconds! mind you, the throttle lock wasn't even loose! fwiw- it was easy to override the lock to change throttle position or even throttle back to idel. i grew to hate it rather quickly! at about the 2000 mile mark i figured that the work load was just too great and that i was better off without. now with the new bike i installed a real cruise control and from now on,will treat every other bike the same.

Bike
'03 ST1300 ABS
I paid $225 for the Dakota Digital electronic cruise control. This will bring hours and hours of entertainment installing it, thus avoiding other expensive means of passing time... Plus it helps avoiding speeding tickets.

It's cheaper in the long run, really

I have had on on other bikes and just ordered one for my ST1100. There are different methods to engaging it, I hold the throttle with thumb and forefinger and rotate the throttle lock with the other fingers until it begins to engage. Then I just move my hand over and twist the throttle and lock together (which usually causes me to speed up) but once locked I just reajust the throttle. I only use it to rest rest my right hand, and I looks better than stock IMO.

perk263

perkSTer
Bike
2004 ST 1300
If any of you reading this know me you know I am cheap. I use the vista cruise and wouldn't use anything else but the "real" cruise control if it was a standard option.

Last edited:
Bike
06 ST
Also have a Break-A-Way....very very nice, can cancel with the thumb or when the front brake is applied. When applied it is easy to adjust the throttle, up or down. $150 as I remember.. Dave B.

Top Bottom