using a throttlemeister

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I have several friends with TM's and theirs all roll on and off very slick and easy. I ordered one for my wife's SilverWing and it's stiff and hard to roll. I made several phone calls to TM and after trying many adjustments returned the whole thing for them to adjust. It came back only slightly better. When I called back and complained, explaining the difference between my wife's and our friends I was told it's not supposed to roll that easy and it's not recommended due to safety.

I've met one other rider who said he wasn't satisfied with his either until he confronted guys at a TM booth at Americade and they either fixed it or swapped it for one that satisfied him. (Disclaimer- possible biker story, alcohol was enjoyed during the telling of this tale).

I've got a Break-a-Way that came on my new-to-me 2006 and I'm leaning towards keeping it until I install an Audiovox cruise control. The B-A-W has been $199 at every dealership I've seen it at.

Bike
GL1800/ST1300A
STOC #
I have the TM and for the most part like it. I like the fit/finish of it and the overall look. I use my ST mostly for Arkansas back roads so a cruise control would not be used a lot. I do ride it on the interstate a bit and use the TM for that style of riding. That said, it is not a "cruise control" it is a throttle position lock. If there are hills - like in AR - then you are constantly adjusting the throttle to maintain speed. But it does help relieve a little wrist pain after an all day ride. If I was in need of a true cruise control, I'd look at something like the Audiovox CC.

I'm using one, but find it fiddley. On hilly roads, constant adjustment is necessary to keep speed up going up hill, then throttling off on the down hill because the bike wants to take off. It would be easy for a local LEO with radar to pick you off if he catches you right on the downhill. Still, it's better than nothing until I get a cruise control installed.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I've had one for at least 10 years. Only use it on long interstate runs to rest my right hand. It works fine as long as the road is flat, otherwise you need to make small throttle adjustments. I would buy another.

Bike
99 ST1100
The vista cruise can be engaged with just a flick of your thumb, no change in speed whatsoever. Disengaged just as easily. So you can basically use it anytime, you don't need some long stretch of highway.
+1 on The Vista Cruise.

It's cheap - like me. And simple - like, er nevermind. And it works!

I never feel the need for "a long stretch of highway" to use it. "Flick on" - "Flick off" couldn't be simpler...

Top Bottom