VFR800 vs ST1300

STOC #
All part of the fun/charm of a sportier bike (compared to the ST) although I found my VFR had enough torque that you could be lazy on the shifting if you wanted. Same with my Blackbird. You can leave the shifter alone and it will manage just fine but start playing with it and you need to start paying attention.

Rod

LOL, I would accidentally trundle through towns on the highway in fourth gear at 30 mph. My 02 didn't seem to mind one bit.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
What bike was dyno'd here? a stock VFR800 has about 95 peak hp and about 50 ft lbs of torque. Anyway, dyno's don't tell the whole story - I stand by my opinions expressed based on 2 year's ownership - how many years have you owned one?
It's from a somewhat modified (air filter, exhaust, the usual stuff) owner on vfrd.com. My concern was not with the max hp numbers...dynos can be different and need calibrated. It's the simple fact that the VFR800 produces good torque at modest rpms and doesn't really have any flat spots in the power delivery (except the usual little dip right before VTEC on '02 and up models). I've had mine two years and counting. I agree to disagree with you...hope you can too.

Bike
'09 1300
STOC #
I hate to bump an old thread but I'm looking at trading my trusty ST1100 for an Interceptor. I'm finding that about the only time I go on long rides is when I'm heading to WeSTOC! The rest of my year I'm lucky to make a ride longer than a couple hundred miles. And a lot of the time it's under a hundred miles. There is no doubt in my mind that on a long trip the ST is more comfortable. But, I have also heard that the VFR is not too tough for "old" bones. I've never ridden a the Interceptor.

The ST has always been awkward for me to move around. I always feel like I'm on the verge of dropping it. It's not the easiest thing to move in and out of my shed. So, a little lighter bike would be great. And maybe it is time for a change. The biggest problem would be that I will have to buy two! There is no way my wife will allow us to not have matching bikes.

Bike
St1300
There is no comparison in comfort. The VFR is a reasonably comfortable sport bike, but is not comfortable in an absolute sense. If you want comfort like the ST, how about something like the NT700? A lot lighter and very comfortable. Don't get me wrong, I have had 2 VFR's and loved them, but they are not like an ST. Even with helibars, the position is slightly leaning forward, ok for highway but tiring at lower speeds. Also not good for 2 up, so better buy 2.

Bike
GL1800
I hate to bump an old thread but I'm looking at trading my trusty ST1100 for an Interceptor. I'm finding that about the only time I go on long rides is when I'm heading to WeSTOC! The rest of my year I'm lucky to make a ride longer than a couple hundred miles. And a lot of the time it's under a hundred miles. There is no doubt in my mind that on a long trip the ST is more comfortable. But, I have also heard that the VFR is not too tough for "old" bones. I've never ridden a the Interceptor.

The ST has always been awkward for me to move around. I always feel like I'm on the verge of dropping it. It's not the easiest thing to move in and out of my shed. So, a little lighter bike would be great. And maybe it is time for a change. The biggest problem would be that I will have to buy two! There is no way my wife will allow us to not have matching bikes.
Depends on your old bones I guess. I do fine on long tours with VFR....including to Idaho. And I do not have risers either.

Now mind you if I am going to do some slabbing, I take my Wing (but it handles corners OK too) and I have long since abandoned my VFR for two up work.

Bike
'09 1300
STOC #
My wife and I have considered selling both our ST's due to lack of use. I was sort of hoping if I had a bike that was a little easier to manage I might ride more often. The grand kids have cut into our riding time. I'm looking at an '07 ABS Interceptor. I'm trying to work out a deal with a dealership. But, they currently want way too much for the bike. I don't mind paying NADA or KBB list for the VFR. But, they want way more than that. I've seen that sign a lot in your picture. Seems like a popular place to stop and snap a pic before you hit LoLo Pass.

STOC #
Curt, if you want a smaller bike that is still comfortable on long rides, the 6th gen VFR will work just fine. Compared to a real sportbike, it's pegs are 5" lower and the bars are 6" higher, not even close to a CBR or Ninja. I'm 6' with a 34" inseam and 500+ mile day rides were not an issue for me.

I hear you on the ST size. I figure it will be the heaviest bike I will ever own. It's all downhill from here. :)

Bike
'09 1300
STOC #
I bought a beautiful Red '05 VFR. And it looks like I will keep the ST1100. Like folks have stated, "the best of both worlds." The VFR only has 5100 miles on it and is pristine. After taking my first ride on it today there is just no comparison. Especially when comparing the 1100 to the VFR. The riding positions have nothing in common. Other than both of them being red they don't have a lot in common. I can see how they will complement each other. The ST will eat up 100's of miles of asphalt and ask for more. I like the added visibility on the VFR and it has a much lighter feel. The real negative attribute of the VFR is the goofy 7K "bump". They could of done a better job of transition of the Vtec. The ST has no such problem. It is smooth as silk all along the rpm range.

Bike
GL1800
I think they did a remap in 06 or 07 time frame which smoothed things out on the bump. Not sure if you can back fit the new mapping. VFR Discussion Group http://www.vfrdiscussion.com can probably answer that for you. The older 5th generations do not have the 2 to 4 valve benefit.

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
The older 5th generations do not have the 2 to 4 valve benefit.
There are those of us who never considered this a benefit. All it did was introduce complications to valve maintenance without giving any real performance increase. Wander on over to vfrd.com and read all about it.

Bike
GL1800
There are those of us who never considered this a benefit. All it did was introduce complications to valve maintenance without giving any real performance increase. Wander on over to vfrd.com and read all about it.
Positive spin was what I was trying to do................I have read it all. That is why I still have a 5th gen myself.

Bike
'09 1300
STOC #
I thought the reasoning behind the set up was to help low end power? Anyway, it's not like this issue just got missed by Honda. They did plenty of testing with riders and engineers. There has to be some method to the madness.

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
I thought the reasoning behind the set up was to help low end power? Anyway, it's not like this issue just got missed by Honda. They did plenty of testing with riders and engineers. There has to be some method to the madness.
From what I remember, the primary reason the modified VTEC engine design was implemented in the VFR's was to conform to noise and air pollution regulations in Europe and elsewhere.

Before it hit the showroom floor, there was buzz (spin?) that the VTEC would have low end grunt advantages but when the first dynos began to appear, it became clear that there was no significant power advantage of the VTEC over the non-VTEC 5th generation. I wish I could find the jpeg that I once had of the dyno chart comparing the two.

At any rate, I would not let the VTEC complication deter anyone from a good 6th generation VFR, especially a 2006 and later model that had the improvements. They are fantastic, comfortable bikes. I came close to getting one myself primarily because I wanted ABS brakes that the VTEC models came with as an option (not an option on the 5th gen & earlier). Had I purchased one, I had resigned myself to letting a mechanic do the (expensive) VTEC valve checks. An individual can certainly do them but they are long and complicated; something I was unwilling to do. Way more tedious than doing the valve check on an ST or 5gen VFR.

I REALLY liked the 2007 Red-White-Blue paint scheme. I kept looking at the leftovers in cycletrader for a long time but just never could make myself pull the trigger. Man, it is a good looking bike:

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
I wish I could find the jpeg that I once had of the dyno chart comparing the two.
Found it!! The red curves are from a 2001 5th generation VFR and the blue is from the first year VTEC (2002).

Notice the VTEC (blue) actuation point at 6800 rpm in both the HP & torque curves. This point was decreased to 6300 rpm in the 2006 and later models.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I bought a beautiful Red '05 VFR. And it looks like I will keep the ST1100. Like folks have stated, "the best of both worlds." The VFR only has 5100 miles on it and is pristine. After taking my first ride on it today there is just no comparison. Especially when comparing the 1100 to the VFR. The riding positions have nothing in common. Other than both of them being red they don't have a lot in common. I can see how they will complement each other. The ST will eat up 100's of miles of asphalt and ask for more. I like the added visibility on the VFR and it has a much lighter feel. The real negative attribute of the VFR is the goofy 7K "bump". They could of done a better job of transition of the Vtec. The ST has no such problem. It is smooth as silk all along the rpm range.
Chiming in here...personally my immature self loves that VTEC engagement. However if you don't like it, it is easily remedied by installing a PCIII or PCV and using available custom fuel maps.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Bike
GL1800
I think the claim was: better fuel economy plus more torque lower in the curve when on 2 valves.

As one can see from Mick's curve most of the apparent surge is caused be a dip just before the transition point. However, when I have ridden 6th gens I never felt the bump was a problem. Like Mick I would not let the Vtec engagement stop you from a buy of a 6th Gen. The 6th gen bike is better perhaps for touring with OEM hard bags, better lights, improved stock suspension and the modified LBS with ABS option. 6th gens are heavier too. For me there was no advantage to updating as the performance was so close between the 5th and 6th.

Plus I love the sound of gear driven cams.

Bike
'09 1300
STOC #
I'm glad I kept the ST1100. My wife and I went on a little ride yesterday and it was in the upper 20's. I sure would have missed the wind protection and heated gear on my ST. Which got me to thinking:

I was thinking about setting up the VFR with a power outlet for my heated gear. But, I had read that the VFR is a low in the spare wattage area. I'm not so sure how it would react to the addition of my Gerbing heated gloves and jacket. I had a couple apposing thoughts. Either leave the VFR as a fair weather bike and take the ST out in cold or marginal riding conditions. Or try to extend the riding season by the addition of heat to the VFR. The only condition I won't ride in is snow and ice. BTDT

Bike
GL1800
I take my heated vest and of course my heated grips on every VFR tour. NO Problemo. I think the 6th gens may have more juice too. I must admit when it is really cold I like my Wing.

Top Bottom