VFR800 vs ST1300

STOC #
I'm glad I kept the ST1100. My wife and I went on a little ride yesterday and it was in the upper 20's. I sure would have missed the wind protection and heated gear on my ST. Which got me to thinking:

I was thinking about setting up the VFR with a power outlet for my heated gear. But, I had read that the VFR is a low in the spare wattage area. I'm not so sure how it would react to the addition of my Gerbing heated gloves and jacket. I had a couple apposing thoughts. Either leave the VFR as a fair weather bike and take the ST out in cold or marginal riding conditions. Or try to extend the riding season by the addition of heat to the VFR. The only condition I won't ride in is snow and ice. BTDT
I rigged up Symtec heated grips, a power port for my vest and a power port for my GPS/Sat radio and never had an issue with power (and I would run all during the winter.) The danger zone is if you are running high beams and the cooling fan kicks in frequently during the summer. This combination motivated Honda to recall early 6th gen to upgrade the alternator, although it was still not really enough for that combination IMO. I don't see any issue with running auxiliary stuff but I would get a voltmeter so you can monitor.

Bike
2006 ST1300
David,
Tough Question. I have both - 2006 ST1300 & 2014 VFR800. Like was said earlier - they complement each other. Both have saddlebags with the ST having more storage. Even with riser plate the VFR has a more forward leaning position compared to the ST.
If you're planning long rides at highway speeds and want more wind/rain protection and comfort, then I suggest ST300.
For rides less than 300 miles on secondary roads (no highway) the VFR is a my choice. The Viffer has the extra fun factor when the VTEC kicks in.

Thanks very much for your reply. I had a vfr 800 in the late 1990's and liked it alot and commuted on it 500 miles a week in all weathers, it was a great bike for this. I am also thinking that the st 1300 can do all this and more and even though it may not be as nimble it does have longevity on it's side in terms of the engine and good resale value. and the shaft drive has appeal for every day use it may be a good choice. I Have just got rid of a Harley Road king due to not wanting to ride it in poor conditions as I want a bike to ride and get miles in even in bad weather as I have missed out in the past as the harley did not weather well, kind regards David

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I owned a 2002 VFR 800A for 12 years, 50k miles. Besides the well documented charging system issues, fixed under warranty, the bike was wonderful. All it ever needed was two chain and sprocket sets, and a stator. And it was fast.
I still own my '03 ST1300A, 100k miles. It is also bullet proof and fast, plus, you can haul a lot of stuff, and a passenger, on it.

Bike
2002 ST1100
I own an ST1300 and have been considering selling it and getting a VFR 800, VFR 1200, or even a BMW K1200S, K1300S.
My square is probably OR, WA, ID, BC, and Northern CA.
Rarely do I ride over 400 miles in a day (not that I can't I just don't) More like 300.
I been thinking of something smaller, lighter, more nimble.
Any thoughts from those of you that have both or have had both?
You might want to consider a Honda Blackbird (CBR1100xx). With full bags it's a great sport touring bike. The K1200 isn't lighter and more nimble, but the blackbird is. It weight about 500lbs and has 150hp with lots of torque. Incredible roll on speed. This was my blackbird. Really smooth.

Attachments

Bike
2002 ST1100
I own an ST1300 and have been considering selling it and getting a VFR 800, VFR 1200, or even a BMW K1200S, K1300S.
Rarely do I ride over 400 miles in a day (not that I can't I just don't) More like 300.
You might want to consider a Ducati ST3. Similar to the VRF in riding style. About 110hp. Light, nimble, comfortable to ride all day. The ST4 is a great bike but more maintenance intensive.

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1300A
2024 Miles
I’ve gone back and forth on this one.
I had ST1100, then overlap with VFR700.
Then just 700, then with another ST1100.
Then just an ST1100 followed with overlapping 2000 VFR800. Then that ST sold.
Eventually overlapping the VFR with my ST1300 and the VFR sold.
I say definitely own both together for a while, like, five or ten years. ;)
The VFR is at least something to experience.
I could do 600 mile days across slabs and twisties. The ST is generally more all weather comfortable and still plenty fun in the twisties. I might have kept the 800 but my Blackbird sorta scratches that itch.
If it has to be one bike and you put in some big days consider upgrading suspension.
If you ride in cool to hot fair weather with more riding in the twisties, I’d say VFR.
All weather and using slab to get to the twisties, I’d say stick with the ST.

Bike
2002 ST1100
I’ve gone back and forth on this one.
I had ST1100, then overlap with VFR700.
Then just 700, then with another ST1100.
Then just an ST1100 followed with overlapping 2000 VFR800. Then that ST sold.
Eventually overlapping the VFR with my ST1300 and the VFR sold.
I say definitely own both together for a while, like, five or ten years. ;)
The VFR is at least something to experience.
I could do 600 mile days across slabs and twisties. The ST is generally more all weather comfortable and still plenty fun in the twisties. I might have kept the 800 but my Blackbird sorta scratches that itch.
If it has to be one bike and you put in some big days consider upgrading suspension.
If you ride in cool to hot fair weather with more riding in the twisties, I’d say VFR.
All weather and using slab to get to the twisties, I’d say stick with the ST.

You should like you're describing where I ride. Where I live the riding is so-so at best, but 80 west -150 miles southwest, it starts getting great! I had a ZRX, but the wind would beat me up getting to wear I liked to ride, hence my ST1100. I had a blackbird too. Full exhaust and suspension upgrades plus other, that bike was nice. I miss my ZRX. That bike was fun to ride and comfortable. On to my point ... I have always wanted a VFR. If I found the right one, I might take a plunge. Like you say, I'd want one with suspension already upgraded, etc.

Bike
Vstrom 650
Just when I thought I'd moved on from vfr's I start reading this thread, they are exceptional bikes, no bike I have ever ridden has been as exciting as my old 5th gen vfr, still checking the for sale adds and dreaming again!!

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
You guys are making me want a Blackbird. I’ve only rode one one time. I’ll never forget how fast and smooth that bike was.

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
Loved our VFR750, toured all around Europe during the late 1990s, a really great bike, two up with bags did spoil the handling somewhat. Could not do it again now, too many more years on our aching joints, that is not a problem on our ST, it's delivers comfortable fast two up touring for an ageing couple, bags fully loaded. Our Blackbird is strictly day trips only and is electrifying, the RC reminds me I still cannot ride a bike very well!

Attachments

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
Loved our VFR750, toured all around Europe during the late 1990s, a really great bike, two up with bags did spoil the handling somewhat. Could not do it again now, too many more years on our aching joints, that is not a problem on our ST, it's delivers comfortable fast two up touring for an ageing couple, bags fully loaded. Our Blackbird is strictly day trips only and is electrifying, the RC reminds me I still cannot ride a bike very well!
Very nice stable. :thumb:

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
If you're thinking of a VFR, you might want to consider a BMW F800GT. New, they are overpriced. However, there are many used ones available for much more reasonable prices.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
This is my current fleet, I've enjoyed the sporty V4's from Honda for decades, starting with a new VF500F in 1985, and including VF400, VFR400, VF750F, VFR700, VFR750 and currently the 1999 VFR800. When I got the ST11 (which I bought mainly as a non-runner as a do-up project) it took me a while to bond with it, as I found it slow, ponderous and not really very exciting. Once I got over that I discovered the joys of long tank range, all day comfort and freight train stability, and it is now my go-to bike whenever I want to do 500km or more. The 800 is pretty comfy for a sportier bike, but not a patch on the 1100, and I do get sore wrists and bum after four hours or so. Funnily enough I don't find the VTR any worse than the VFR although it does have a silly tank range and not a lot of leg room. Fun bike though!

Attachments

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Here's the one I had. Sold it July 2018. Roll on speed was impressive.
I have a Blackbird as well and every time I ride it, I am just blown away at how quickly it gets up to big numbers. What is also surprising is how comfortable and stable it is at these speeds (so I am told ;):biggrin:).Here is one on the autobahn.

Bike
2002 ST1100
I have a Blackbird as well and every time I ride it, I am just blown away at how quickly it gets up to big numbers. What is also surprising is how comfortable and stable it is at these speeds (so I am told ;):biggrin:).Here is one on the autobahn.

186mph

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
Little late in the game here. I have both a 6th gen vfr800. And a 12’ ST1300. Frankly I can’t imagine giving up either now as each delivers a unique ride experience. My 03 vfr I call the scarlet kitten. If ya own one ya know why. It is lighter and nimble than its cuz but the ST is a touring delight for long trips. I am glad I have both of these as my riding stamina sometimes isn’t up for a heavy bike. And sometimes the bigger bike might just stand out more in traffic

Sent by Tapatalk

Top Bottom