Visibility Lights for OEM trunk/top case ST1300

Bike
2004 Honda ST1300
Hello, I am new here. I recently bought a 2004 ST1300 and am interested in making the rear end more visible with some LED lights for the Top case/trunk. I believe it is the OEM trunk. I am thinking of the flowing type for the turn signal. Any ideas on what to get and ease of installation?

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I mounted an extra brake light just under my top case mounting plate. No issues with wires to disconnect if I remove the top case. Downside is it's a bout 12" lower than if it was up on the top of the case.

Bike
2010 ST1300
In my opinion, the flowing indicator lights are not as bright or attention getting as your standard flashing indicator. I added Tailbrights to the back of my side cases (simply a black reflective self stick material) and mounted Admore's LED1614-s-ts strips vertically on the cases. These are combo brake/indicator lights. I also added a Redlyne strip brake light, made by Redlyne emergency equipment (could not find an online link) after seeing how bright these were on @dohboy's bike. Finally, after seeing a knight rider brake/tail light on a bike in New York I had to have one. Custom dynamics sells a number of iterations. Shop around for any light you like, prices vary.

The ultimate brake light has to be Whelen's M7. @tonythecarguy mounted one on his bike and it really stands out in the line of bikes on an STOC ride. I added one to my VStrom. When illuminated, the light ads about 5 mph to the top end (photon push) and I received complaints from my fellow riders on our Wednesday morning rides. Seriously, this is incredibly bright and i put a gray theatre type film over the light to make it less bright. Whelen makes those LED's on the back of ambulances. Serious stuff. The M7 offers 156 different flashing patterns. I use the 4 flashes and then constant on.

OK, by now you think I went overboard. In another post I described being stopped at a light w/ a truck on my left and an empty intersection behind me and one car length between me and the car in front of me. I heard a squeal of brakes being applied, looked in the mirror, and started moving forward angling off to my right between the car ahead and the curb. A guy in a Lexus had blasted through the intersection and stood on his brakes at the last second to avoid making me his hood ornament. Yes I was moving, but had he not had good reflexes and brakes, there was no way to get out of the way in time. I like to think all those lights on my rear end played some role in this near miss.

https://admorelighting.com/?v=7516fd43adaa I bouight mine from Twisted Throttle
https://www.customdynamics.com/sequential-led-light-bar-with-flashing-brake-alert Knight rider type strip.

OP
OP
Bike
2004 Honda ST1300
Thank you all for your suggestions! I now have a place to start. Thanks

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
I use one of these, mine is mounted under the case on the bike, so if I remove the case it is still on the bike.
I put stick on red reflectors on the saddle bags.
Bigger is better than brighter. At night drivers perceive distance by size....

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I change between two top boxes so I haven’t solved that one for myself. This is a Whelen Lin3 strobe setting. Somewhere is a thread where the smart guys here helped me delink that light to only the lever allowing me to sit at a stoplight with out having it flashing. It is bright.

Attachments

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
How about a picture of your bike all light up.
Video of the 2 extra brake lights I added. 1 under the top case and one below the rear light/above the rear plate. Both are connected to a flasher. The rear lights (brake/tail) & turns have all been converted to LED as well.

and a photo with the Givi top case:

1647388122769.png

and a photo with the OEM Pan top case after I found one:

1647388312151.png

Have the same type of setup on my Kawi.

1647390748163.png1647390818861.png

Last edited:
Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
I got these from AutoZone , ( for high mounted brake lights ) : Put some white ones , with a switch , inside . Also a 12V cig, lighter outlet for charging phone , etc. All 3 connected with a common , flat , 4 wire trailer connector .

IMG_5201 cc.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
2004 Honda ST1300
I got these from AutoZone , ( for high mounted brake lights ) : Put some white ones , with a switch , inside . Also a 12V cig, lighter outlet for charging phone , etc. All 3 connected with a common , flat , 4 wire trailer connector

IMG_5201 cc.jpg
Yeah, that's kinda what I have in mind. That is also the same trunk I have less the rack. Are those lights for both brakes and turn signal? Also is that with brake on? Did yours have lights originally? Mine does not. Maybe putting turn signal and running lights on the saddle bags too.

OP
OP
Bike
2004 Honda ST1300
Here is my set up:

The lights on the box are from admorelighting.com. I don't think they make it for the Shad50 anymore.

Below the box, I used something similar to this:
You could probably use one of these strips directly on the box too.
Now, something like that will work. Is it brakes only? I have different trunk but basically the idea I have mind.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
Are those lights for both brakes and turn signal? Also is that with brake on? Did yours have lights originally? Mine does not. Maybe putting turn signal and running lights on the saddle bags too.
That is only brake lights "on" ( to try to prevent getting rammed in the rear )

Some people have a CHMSL in a spoiler bolted on this Honda "Pan European" top box , but then it would interfere putting on a rack * , like I put on .
* ( If you put on a rack , epoxy some 3 X 3" steel plates underneath to the lid & largest S.S. fender washers on top so the lid can take some weight without cracking )

Did not have lights originally.

The different functions have separate circuits , so turn signal is not combined with brake lights . There are aftermarket modules that will combine them you could probably get to work , sold in trailer accessory stores . Remember though , brake lights can't be yellow by FMVSS / laws .

Last edited:
Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
Now, something like that will work. Is it brakes only? I have different trunk but basically the idea I have mind.
Nope, it's Brakes and signals/hazards (and driving lights). As i aaid, I bought the lights from admore. Then I pried up the reflectors and put them underneath. I then wired them through a connector under the top box. All the parts were supplied by admore, but I don't see why you couldn't do something similar on your own. Just a matter of finding the LED strips, place them under the reflectors, and wiring then up.

OP
OP
Bike
2004 Honda ST1300
I found these lights that might work. They even have a decelerometer for engine braking without applying the brakes, they will light up. Has anyone tried these?
P3 Lights with Decelerometer & Turn Signals
I did notice though, it appears that they are single color, where the ADMORE LIGHT BAR PRO has dual colors, also has the decelerometer and a BT app. Which is interesting, but maybe more than I want. If the Skene lights were both amber and red, like the Admore, I would go for those. Not much difference in price, but the Skene has two smaller light units as Admore's one.

I also found Denali, but all their stuff seems to be out of stock on their website.

This looks pretty cool too!

If you really want to spend a dollar, check these out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom