Visibility Lights for OEM trunk/top case ST1300

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I have a Whelen run/brake/turn strip light mounted to the bottom of my Givi plate and Hyperlites mounted to the side reflector mounts.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I found these lights that might work. They even have a decelerometer for engine braking without applying the brakes, they will light up. Has anyone tried these?
P3 Lights with Decelerometer & Turn Signals
I did notice though, it appears that they are single color, where the ADMORE LIGHT BAR PRO has dual colors, also has the decelerometer and a BT app. Which is interesting, but maybe more than I want. If the Skene lights were both amber and red, like the Admore, I would go for those. Not much difference in price, but the Skene has two smaller light units as Admore's one.

I also found Denali, but all their stuff seems to be out of stock on their website.

This looks pretty cool too!

If you really want to spend a dollar, check these out.
Skene, Denali and Clearwater are all well known names and shouldn't give you any issues. You pay a premium for these though!

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I don't know if I like the decelerometer feature.

Yes it can give you a few fractions of a second up to perhaps a second faster activation time, and needs no touching of a brake lever / pedal, but it will also give false brake notificaitons to whoever is behind you when you let off the gas. (depending on how sensitive it is.) You might scare them a few times or make them think you are braking, but it also might become a "boy who called wolf" scenario and they think your brake light is just "glitchy." Think of how you'd react if you saw someone in a car ahead of you with brake lights activating like that.

I'm all from more lighting, something that makes the triangle of light in front and rear, and something that flashes the brakes to get a drivers attention - but this isn't a feature I'd want to install on my bike.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Have you seen the helmets with the brake light on the back of them ?
I have, as well as the ones built into the back of jackets / vests. Some have turn signals built in as well. Not sure I like them either.

If I wanted something that bad one could easily rig up a wired DIY system. You can make something look too gaudy in my books and become a center of attention, and thus perhaps target fixation or distraction. :)

1647739308617.png

OP
OP
Bike
2004 Honda ST1300
I don't know if I like the decelerometer feature.

Yes it can give you a few fractions of a second up to perhaps a second faster activation time, and needs no touching of a brake lever / pedal, but it will also give false brake notificaitons to whoever is behind you when you let off the gas. (depending on how sensitive it is.) You might scare them a few times or make them think you are braking, but it also might become a "boy who called wolf" scenario and they think your brake light is just "glitchy." Think of how you'd react if you saw someone in a car ahead of you with brake lights activating like that.

I'm all from more lighting, something that makes the triangle of light in front and rear, and something that flashes the brakes to get a drivers attention - but this isn't a feature I'd want to install on my bike.
I agree about the "cry wolf" factor but what I have been reading is that the sensitivity is adjustable. I sometimes decelerate entirely using the engine or downshifting, until I am almost stopped, then apply the brake, which is why I am considering this. In this case no brake light would come on until almost stopped. Which would be more dangerous. So if they can be set to go off when slowing down significantly faster than just coasting, I think it would be safer. Plus considering the "cry wolf" factor, it is not likely you would be "false alarming" the same person more than once to cause people to ignore the light. Unless that same person is following for miles and miles and you repeatedly make it appear to be a false brake. At least that is my logic on the idea.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I agree about the "cry wolf" factor but what I have been reading is that the sensitivity is adjustable. I sometimes decelerate entirely using the engine or downshifting, until I am almost stopped, then apply the brake, which is why I am considering this. In this case no brake light would come on until almost stopped. Which would be more dangerous. So if they can be set to go off when slowing down significantly faster than just coasting, I think it would be safer. Plus considering the "cry wolf" factor, it is not likely you would be "false alarming" the same person more than once to cause people to ignore the light. Unless that same person is following for miles and miles and you repeatedly make it appear to be a false brake. At least that is my logic on the idea.
I would hate to be riding behind someone with one of those on twisty roads. I would have to make a pass to keep from seeing them braking constantly.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I sometimes decelerate entirely using the engine or downshifting, until I am almost stopped, then apply the brake, which is why I am considering this. In this case no brake light would come on until almost stopped.
In my opinion this is something that would drive me and most other drivers on the road crazy if they became popular and everybody's brake lights were flashing on and off all the time. I think it would create a more dangerous situation as everyone would learn to ignore the flashing brake lights. In my opinion it is better, in any situation where you are decelerating significantly enough that this system would be of benefit, to train yourself to get in to the good habit of applying just enough brake lever or brake pedal to activate your brake light. This will give drivers behind you warning that you are slowing considerably. This will provide you with the same safety benefit. Once it has become memory muscle, it will always work even if this electronic system fails or if you are riding a different motorcycle that is not equipped with this system. Best of all it costs you nothing, which allows you to keep the money that you need to spend on this system for gas and tires.

Da Bear

Ask me about my cat...
Bike
'03 ST1300
Once you've been rear-ended at a stop sign, when on your bike, you learn that you pretty much cannot over do anything that's going to enhance your visibility, especially from behind. My last bike was a 1983, GLI 500 Silverwing, and I'm here to tell you that the back of that thing lit up like the Las Vegas strip at night. You could probably see it from space when I hit the brakes. I even had LED's mounted to the dual antenna's that were mounted on the Markland aftermarket crash rails that themselves had about a dozen LED lights on the sides and tail end.
On the ST, I'm a huge fan of the looks of the Pan European trunk it has on it, but I'm swapping that out for a Givi with LED's. I am keeping the OEM trunk though...
I'm also adding ground effect lights. Oregon USA has some strict laws on those, so they have to be Amber when on the road.
I believe there are federal laws prohibiting the use of strobing red and blue lights on a vehicle, other than law enforcement, emergency vehicles and school buses.

Top Bottom