• Start with a City beginning with A
    • This is BY STATE
    • Similar to the Tag contest, there will be one thread per state
    • Post a picture of your bike AND some sign, building etc which clearly shows the city/state you're in
    • The next person posts from a city with the name beginning with B, then C, D, etc
    • You can't posts back-to-back pics, you have to wait for a person to post the next city
    • Once Z is reached, the game starts over with A
    • If your state doesn't have a city beginning with the next letter in sequence, it's okay to skip that letter
    • If the location sits for more than one month, the person that posted that is open to move it to the next letter.

The World Wide game is a bit different as it is by whatever is considered a geographic type of regional category, state/province/village etc. and all those will be in the single World Wide A-Z topic.

WA: A to Z (Round 3)

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
New JRob International prospect.... found in Farmington.... I just used it as the National Tag drop.

However.... since we've got a BBQ Church Joint... I think the only proper venue for a chili restaurant would be a gas station!

20180704_130423_resized.jpg

Name... logo... and signage to come. Todd... go ahead and start the licensing procedures.... (really... you'll get your money back... easy)

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just spit-balling.... but what about "Toot" for a name?

Beans, beans the magic fruit
The more you eat the more you TOOT
The more you TOOT the better you feel
So eat your beans at every meal

:toot1:

(If we can use the emoticon as a logo image.... Joe gets free chili for life!)

Last edited:

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Two thumbs up Colin... I love it.

Up for your approval: Harpole, WA

20180708_133900.jpg

In the rural Palouse most of the "towns" are grain silo locations. Makes sense when you think about 100 years ago... this is where the farmers got together, there was usually a Grange or merchantile and a few houses for railroad and seasonal workers. Some grew into towns that exist today, some are ghost towns, and some have simply vanished.

When the railroad abandoned the nearby tracks the maintenance of the location signs stopped and this silo no longer has a marker. The farmers still use it with trucks and the silo has been maintained, but everything railroad related kind of "went away".

It is listed in the "Populated Places" classification and appears in the geological survey map. When I google mapped it... it was right there...

Capture2.JPG Capture.JPG

Without a sign, no proof. However... (the plot thickens).... here are the shots to prove I was there:

20180708_134707.jpg 20180708_134746.jpg

When the railroad abandoned the line a local land owner, Ruth Lowe, purchased the bridge to gain access to her property.

This is a bridge registered in the Library of Congress, the only one of the style (boxed Howe truss) in Washington, and likely one of the few remaining in the country.

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/wa0614/

Last edited:
Bike
'14 CTX1300
STOC #
Dale, I see the documentation was gathered for this in 1968. Any idea on when the bridge was actually built? And I give it one vote for counting.... As Joe would say... you did the ride to get there (including dirt) which is the whole purpose of the game.... Not to mention extra credit for the history lesson.

ColinW1981

Site Supporter
Bike
'06 ST1300A
STOC #
Damn! And I had a Geneva & Glacier run planned for tomorrow! Now I gotta plan some new rides! :confused: Awesome covered bridge ride though! The bar has been raised...HIGH!:bow1: At the current mileage rack up rate, I may need to get new tires before WeSTOC! :eek: Ride Baby Ride!:bk13:

Last edited:

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Pre-JRob/ToddC I was a tire every couple years. Now I'm a couple tires every year.

ColinW1981

Site Supporter
Bike
'06 ST1300A
STOC #
I just might end up like that too. I've already got 3k on the 'new' tires which were installed in May!. Running the Michelin PR4GT's front and rear. I was told that now my rear pre-load has been serviced, I can expect my rear tire to last for years now...

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
I was told that now my rear pre-load has been serviced, I can expect my rear tire to last for years now...
After a comment like that, he should have ran a disclaimer... Your mileage may vary (laff)

Some of it is definition. We've already ridden more in a few months than a lot of guys will ride in a year. It may be a couple years for him... for you it's only 6 months. (that's a good thing!)

Similarly, a couple instances last year reminded me that our riding style is different. One, I was invited for a RTE and we might have gone a couple miles up the road to a pizza place. I just figured we were eating first. Nope... afterwards he thanked me for the ride and went home. I went and grabbed a tag.

Another instance was a poker run. Billed as an all day event I don't know that we covered 60 miles. Lots of stops, snacks (and beer :no1:) stops. Took 4 hours.

Finding other riders to cover the distances we like can could be difficult at times. More to thank the forum for!!!!

ColinW1981

Site Supporter
Bike
'06 ST1300A
STOC #
Illahee is an unincorporated community in Kitsap County, Washington, United States,[SUP][1][/SUP] between Bremerton and Silverdale. It is home to Illahee State Park and other local parks. The word "Illahee" means earth or country in the Native language Chinuk Wawa.
IMG_0506.jpg

Indianola is a census-designated place (CDP) in Kitsap County, Washington, United States, located on the north shore of Port Madison on the Port Madison Indian Reservation, home of the Suquamish Indian Tribe. The population was 3,500 at the 2010 census. It was originally established as a summer community and was a stop for Mosquito Fleet ferries until the 1950s.IMG_0508.jpg

ColinW1981

Site Supporter
Bike
'06 ST1300A
STOC #
Issaquah! Home of I-90 Motorsports where there is an ST1100 on hold. I'm told that the owner of the ST1300 parked next to it is considering the ST1100, something about the ST1300 too hot to ride in the summer! Whimp!!! Put ice in your boots and RIDE!!! Still, the ST1100 is a nice bike...
IMG_0511.jpgIMG_0510.jpg

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Colin: Well ridden!

Never heard of the Mosquito Fleet... outstanding! Seems to be quite the happening place "back in the day". I think I could hang on a hot summer evening with a cold cocktail on a steamship on the way to my summer retreat. Not sure the socialites would like my bike though. Motorcycles were for the more "rudimentary". You know... those "wild ones". (secretly, they all wish they had one)

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well.... I'm not sure I'm having much luck with a J.

I found a jared that is located North of Cusick on Hwy 20... but it doesn't exist. I got a pic of my bike at Riverview Bible Camp (because my kids have gone there), which were the only people around for miles. However, Jared is listed as a census designated area.

The only thing I can figure is that there is a stockyard with several barns, pens, and a loading area right where Jared is supposed to be. I would bet that Jared is a name of the original landowner that set up the stockyard and I would guess they auction their livestock at that location.

However, that doesn't help us with a "J". I've got a couple options in the Palouse and another South of Odessa. Really depends on my Honey-Do list if I get riding time.

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Junction City Grays Harbor

Juanita is actually part of Kirkland, but I used it during round #1. I believe that it does not matter if it's not incorporated or a CDP. It's all about the ride. Have fun.
You can knock Jared and Jerita from the list. Rode there, looked around, and as the Peas from Veggietales say, "Move along, nothing to see here..."

Top Bottom