Want to move top box forward... need help

Bike
2007 ST1300
I have an oem Honda top box. I rarely (if ever) ride 2-up. I would like to move the top box forward, maybe even far enough to cover the rear pillion seat. Has anyone bought or made a bracket to move the oem box forward? Any tips or suggestions to make this happen would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Someone on here made a bracket, or was contemplating same, that allowed the top case to slide forward and aft depending on need. I don't know if it was ever seen through to fruition.

OP
OP
Bike
2007 ST1300
That would be nice. However, if there was a way to simply move it forward I would be happy with that. The reasons are wind and aesthetics. I hoping maybe better stability at speed, improved aerodynamics and fuel economy (maybe), and I think it would simply look better. If there were simply a bracket that could be made to shift the box forward I would try it.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I've seen it done once years ago.. looked really strange to me.. I think the rider wanted a backrest and wanted to use the top box for that.

I say just take it off if you don't like it or go for a corbin smuggler.

OP
OP
Bike
2007 ST1300
I know getting the rear seat off would require removing whatever plate/bracket I build or buy. I'm okay with that. I use the bike as a commuter every day. I need the storage so taking the top box off is a no-go. Any ideas or tips would be appreciated. I'm suprised no one hasn't experimented with this.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Honda kind of did in the 80's with the Silverwing.

1689265767788.png

Corbin did a Smuggler trunk, but it's much smaller and supposedly you can't use it with a top box.

1689265841444.png

Here's an aux fuel tank mounted over the pillion seat, so it's feasible to move the box forward.

1689266095828.png

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
If I wanted to move it forward I'd get some flat bar.

I'd run 2 bits forward from the OEM location and attach the case top mount to it.

To prevent bounce (and flex) in the flat bar I'd either put some padding between the bottom of it and the pillion seat and/or I'd build a bracket like a "C" to attached to the case mount, go out around the rear seat sides and mount to the bolts under the seat that hold the side grab handles.

case.jpg

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Slotted shallow Unistrut may work. And there is a good variety of strut hardware. Check the electrical department of your local Home Depot and Lowe's stores.

1689270213649.png 1689270240177.png 1689270388459.png

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I was thinking square stock, unistrut looks good too. Building something that can slide back to the original position so you can remove the seat when needed. Short pieces at the stock location for rails, twice as long pieces for the moving part. Although I have been known to have less than smart ideas.

Well, yes you can make a rail where to anchor your box, with a locking hinge at the edge of the original length in order to lift it when you need to do something under the passenger seat.
Go to bed and sleep over it and you will come up with some ideas.:think1:
This will be a try-and-error project.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
That would be nice. However, if there was a way to simply move it forward I would be happy with that. The reasons are wind and aesthetics. I hoping maybe better stability at speed, improved aerodynamics and fuel economy (maybe), and I think it would simply look better. If there were simply a bracket that could be made to shift the box forward I would try it.

Or maybe just use a large pillion bag?

Looks like the Police bikes carry load on the back seat area? Maybe switching to a P bike subframe could provide good mounting points for a box rack? But then you'd no longer have a back seat.

One advantage of carrying the load closer by is that weight on the seat doesn't upset the suspension quite as much as out there in the box. There is a lot of leverage on the shock with weight in the box all the way back there. Dynamically, the load back in the box moves up and down and higher speeds also (on a longer radius) which has implications on the suspension as well.

One drawback is ease of getting on and off the bike.

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
Honda kind of did in the 80's with the Silverwing.

1689265767788.png
That's kind of funny since many Silverwing owners added a kit to ride 2up:
View media item 498Mine, not pictured, had one.

Corbin did a Smuggler trunk, but it's much smaller and supposedly you can't use it with a top box.

1689265841444.png
That isn't entirely true @Andrew Shadow is able to use a top box with his. I think you specifically can't use the Honda OEM or Givi. Others may work.

• Haha
Reactions: Obo

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
That isn't entirely true @Andrew Shadow is able to use a top box with his. I think you specifically can't use the Honda OEM or Givi. Others may work.
I added supplemental brackets and re-drilled the original ones to relocate the top-box mounts to where I wanted them and to make it work with the smuggler.
I'm sure that the same can be done with any top-box mounts.

I have seen a picture of some ones ST with a slide that took the box from the rear normal place to over the rear seat. I can picture it in my mind made from tool box drawer slides on the rear luggage rack to the box. Then when you need the rear seat you can slide it back since the slides remain under the box, just like a tool box drawer

Top Bottom