Want to move top box forward... need help

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
but that doesnt look that out-of-place at all.
It looks a little odd to me but I think I'd get used to it quickly after seeing more. I've always thought most trunks looked odd being hung or perched high and way off the back of the bike. This is most noticeable in profile pics of a lot of bikes. Every time I see such a pic I think of a tail about to wag the dog.

So while it's a "normal" or typical application it still looks odd to me.

I believe this is ToodC's ride.

Whereas the Smuggler isn't "normal" or typical in application it's never looked at all odd to me. It looks integral and factory to me and not an accessory hung off the bike.

The box on the Sheriff's bike looks a little odd to me because it seems pretty big and is still high up. But maybe a slightly smaller box would look better. Not normal or typical but not thatl odd to me. I could get used to it in a hurry. Handling would be improved as well.

I once put 50lbs of plates in the Vetter trunk of my GL1000 and it made for a scary ride home. They were packed pretty well but there could have been some shifting inside. It occurred to me how carrying a pillion had never exhibited the same behavior.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I actually always thought the corbin smuggler looked good BUT... the luggage rack sticking out looked odd... without that it would look like a hyabusa... but kills the reason for having a luggage rack.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Corbin has some unique ideas besides the Smuggler, such as the ZZR1200's Beetle bags. We always called them "golf ball" cases.

1689354399617.png1689354412753.png1689354427652.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
2007 ST1300
Those might work. I agree that the top box "hanging off the back" looks a bit odd. And when riding solo, I wonder what turbulence and instability is being created by the wind passing around and through.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
And when riding solo, I wonder what turbulence and instability is being created by the wind passing around and through.
There have been a few posts about that very same phenomenon. The turbulence experienced was said to be mitigated by placing gear on the pillion portion of the seat effectively filling the void between the rider and the top box.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Agreed, but I LOVE the color!
Same here. Wasn't there a factory green for the 1300 available in the UK? Europe? Is the SO/SD using custom paint? Is it the Nottingham Sheriff's Office? Inquiring minds...

Da Bear

Ask me about my cat...
Bike
'03 ST1300
That's kind of funny since many Silverwing owners added a kit to ride 2up:
View media item 498Mine, not pictured, had one.

That isn't entirely true @Andrew Shadow is able to use a top box with his. I think you specifically can't use the Honda OEM or Givi. Others may work.
You don't say...
I made this one for a larger top box than stock, but I also had the stock trunk and Markland relocation kit...
35121_1366815852210_5378357_n.jpg

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
Corbin did a Smuggler trunk, but it's much smaller and supposedly you can't use it with a top box.
I added supplemental brackets and re-drilled the original ones to relocate the top-box mounts to where I wanted them and to make it work with the smuggler.
I'm sure that the same can be done with any top-box mounts.
So just a quick update this thread:
I can confirm that the Corbin Smuggler IS compatible with the Shad SH50 top box:
View media item 512
You open/close it when installed. And the Smuggler itself can be installed or removed without removing the top box as there is plenty of room:
View media item 511
My Universal mounting bracket is mounted to the specific ST-1300 adapter plate, HOPN12ST. They are discontinued and almost impossible to find anymore but here is a thread discussing it:

As @Andrew Shadow said, I'm sure you could fabricate one if need be.

Top Bottom