Water Pump Leak Unusual

OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300
Common issue.

Take care not to over-tighten the hose clamps on the radiator hoses. The radiator inlet/outlet pipes are soft and can deform if the clamps are over-tightened.
Thanks. The radiator is out at the moment so I don't tighten them yet. I'll keep this in mind.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Checked all the clamps. All loose, tightened them all. One was bad, it just clicked and would not tighten, replaced it and one on the lower houses by the pump was oblong, replaced it.
Ordered a new t-stat and o-ring will swap them before putting it back together.
The OEM clamps are narrow, and if over tightened will cut into the rubber hose. Over time they tend to leak. These are the reasons why so many guys here have changed the clamps to constant tension types, or even the Gates Heat Shrink type. Many have reported no more leaks with new clamps and some have said it's not worth the trouble - just check the clamps annually and give them a little tightening twist. It is up to you.

Just be careful on the radiator spigot clamps. The metal is thin and a too tight clamp can collapse or distort the radiator pipe. I found corrosion on my 'stat housing that required cleaning with fine sandpaper (one of the large hoses). In another thread I asked what happened to that black gook mechanics smeared on spigots before sliding on the hoses. Maybe modern improvements are not such an improvement?

OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300
Well folks, new t-stat and o-ring and all clamps tight and it still leaks, just running out of the square hole as soon as the bike is started. I'm at a loss but so near our of patience and desire, might be easier to sell it at this point. Parts take weeks to get and when you don't know what to replace you're looking at months of trial and error.

OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300
Anyone have any tips or tricks to hold the o-ring in place when mating the cover to the engine? Honda used some sort of adhesive, I was thinking a touch of grease in a few spots???

Bike
st1300 vfr800
Anyone have any tips or tricks to hold the o-ring in place when mating the cover to the engine? Honda used some sort of adhesive, I was thinking a touch of grease in a few spots???
Maybe use a few dabbs of crazy glue to hold it in place ,not much needed and easy to remove if needed .

Top Bottom