Waterproof usb charging in panniers

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Maybe a somewhat better idea...how about running a line from the battery (SAE cord) to one of the fairing pockets then connect a SAE charger to it that can charge via USB to your phone. I know Deltran sells one on Amazon. I have one but never hooked it up (maybe minimal drilling to make room in the pocket for the cord). Alternate route...buy a multiple charge extended battery (also on Amazon) and this way, there’s no wires to run. Connect to your phone and you have power (and for multiple charges via USB. I think trying to run a line to the saddlebags is much more difficult.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Not sure I understand your question. The USB hubs that I have seen are a block with several ports for computer accessories/charging purposes. The hub on my desk has 7 ports. If you found one of these that is waterproof, all you need to do is run a waterproof cable with inline fuse from your battery to a point near the side case of choice. Using a waterproof connector - one on the cable, the other mate on the side case, you now have power inside the case. This powers your hub.

If you mean a single usb jack that is open on the outside to the elements, I've not seen any that are w-p while in use.

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Maybe a somewhat better idea...how about running a line from the battery (SAE cord) to one of the fairing pockets then connect a SAE charger to it that can charge via USB to your phone. I know Deltran sells one on Amazon. I have one but never hooked it up (maybe minimal drilling to make room in the pocket for the cord). Alternate route...buy a multiple charge extended battery (also on Amazon) and this way, there’s no wires to run. Connect to your phone and you have power (and for multiple charges via USB. I think trying to run a line to the saddlebags is much more difficult.
Thanks for the response. Im leaving boston for colorado, at least hopefully, and cant believe the camping costs. So, i need some kind of charging system in the panniers for camp lights. Just two little ones and a headlamp.
Up front im three usb hub for my phone and gps, with one extra.

Attachments

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #

Well dawg gone! $ 20 gets me a battery that should fit in one of my pockets, and i can toss it in the panniers and recharge my whatevers. Thanks for the tip. The bike has ionly 15000 miles on it and very few imperfections and i was dreading putting a hole in a bag.
Technology is something! I def feel 64 now!

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Putting plugs into the saddlebags is not complicated but it can be an opportunity to create leaks and issues when you want to remove them.
I have plugs in both fairing pockets and in my top box (which I never remove). Another option would be under the seat with some extra length that you could pull out when stopped for the evening and it hangs down the side of the bike out from under the seat. There is plenty of room to store it in the tailpiece and also close to the battery.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I agree with everyone's suggestion for a battery bank as a solution. I've been an exceptionally pleased customer of the Anker products for almost ten years. Well made, great performance.

I see you have the Hondaline Backrest? I use the same SAE cable I use for my Battery Tender to power a compact SAE USB power port, which stays under the seat. I then run the USB cable between the seatbase and tailsection into the pouch behind the backrest to charge my phone and other devices while on a ride.

LightningFast SAE To USB Adapter Motorcycle - Quick Disconnect Plug - Quick Charge 3.0 - Dual USB Ports To Charge 2 Devices
This one has two ports - one of them Quick Charge 3.0 plus the other is 2.4A. It has its own power switch (it does draw power when not in use if connected directly to the battery). Not a problem if connected to a switched SAE connection. Also extremely easy to just unplug from the SAE cable. Mixed reviews on Amazon. I've had two in constant use for the past two years with no issues.

I know the pouch is not waterproof, but a 1qt or 2qt ziplock bag should protect your gear pretty well. You're going to need a means of charging your battery bank anyway.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
And a USB port in a pannier wouldn't need to be waterproof, only the wire entering it would.
This

and

Putting plugs into the saddlebags is not complicated but it can be an opportunity to create leaks and issues when you want to remove them.
...this

and

I've been an exceptionally pleased customer of the Anker products for almost ten years
...this. I'm a fan of Anker products (except for anything audio of theirs) and a power bank is a quick and easy solution.

I'd look for a jump starter with USB ports. It could serve dual purposes - charge device and jump the bike if need be. Mine also has a very nice LED flashlight built in (many are junk).

That said I do like the idea of a USB charging hub in a pannier as well as adding extra taillights. I still haven't found a quick disconnect system I like though a few would work.

What I'd like is a waterproof multi-conductor equivalent of BNC connector. Insert twist locked. Anyway you might consider a jump starter/charger. Amazon has several.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Technology is something! I def feel 64 now!
Hey, don't feel bad at all. If you're 64 and still camping out, you deserve respect. I'm 65, and I gave up sleeping on the ground 25 years ago... I guess I'm a wuss, 'cause it's hotels only for me when I travel. I never could get used to waking up in a puddle of water with a sore back, suffering from the onset of hypothermia... :)

Michael

Bike
R1200rt
I have a small camping LED lantern that uses aa batteries. Works great in the tent. I change the batteries once a year. I don't leave it on long and have no need to. Its suppose to last 25 hours,,, And I recommend trying some of the free camp sites. Great way to save money and some of the places are pretty unique https://www.amazon.com/atenuable-resistente-exteriores-senderismo-emergencias/dp/B0078ZTWP4/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=led+camp+lights&qid=1594510682&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzSVpBT0xZRTFJNzBDJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjY1MzY1NlFEWlcxODRBV0dBJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA0NTcyMDlIVUYzMjZKQkxDTEomd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Bike
R1200rt
Hey, don't feel bad at all. If you're 64 and still camping out, you deserve respect. I'm 65, and I gave up sleeping on the ground 25 years ago... I guess I'm a wuss, 'cause it's hotels only for me when I travel. I never could get used to waking up in a puddle of water with a sore back, suffering from the onset of hypothermia... :)

Michael
66 and still camping.... Try a better tent and a good sleeping pad. I was out west for a week and found 3 great free campsites. Camp free and you'll save more money.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I have a small camping LED lantern that uses aa batteries. Works great in the tent. I change the batteries once a year. I don't leave it on long and have no need to. Its suppose to last 25 hours,,, And I recommend trying some of the free camp sites. Great way to save money and some of the places are pretty unique https://www.amazon.com/atenuable-resistente-exteriores-senderismo-emergencias/dp/B0078ZTWP4/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=led+camp+lights&qid=1594510682&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzSVpBT0xZRTFJNzBDJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjY1MzY1NlFEWlcxODRBV0dBJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA0NTcyMDlIVUYzMjZKQkxDTEomd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl
Where do they get URL's like that. It's a mouthful!

BTW, it says it uses 3 x D batteries.....must have updated the Lantern.

Bike
R1200rt
Where do they get URL's like that. It's a mouthful!

BTW, it says it uses 3 x D batteries.....must have updated the Lantern.
The one I have is similar but I can't remember where I bought it. Tried to find one, my bad didn't read all the specs

Bike
R1200rt
I agree with everyone's suggestion for a battery bank as a solution. I've been an exceptionally pleased customer of the Anker products for almost ten years. Well made, great performance.

I see you have the Hondaline Backrest? I use the same SAE cable I use for my Battery Tender to power a compact SAE USB power port, which stays under the seat. I then run the USB cable between the seatbase and tailsection into the pouch behind the backrest to charge my phone and other devices while on a ride.

LightningFast SAE To USB Adapter Motorcycle - Quick Disconnect Plug - Quick Charge 3.0 - Dual USB Ports To Charge 2 Devices
This one has two ports - one of them Quick Charge 3.0 plus the other is 2.4A. It has its own power switch (it does draw power when not in use if connected directly to the battery). Not a problem if connected to a switched SAE connection. Also extremely easy to just unplug from the SAE cable. Mixed reviews on Amazon. I've had two in constant use for the past two years with no issues.

I know the pouch is not waterproof, but a 1qt or 2qt ziplock bag should protect your gear pretty well. You're going to need a means of charging your battery bank anyway.
Never got any water in the pouches but better yet is get a tank bag....and don't forget the power cable https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0069-6-Terminal-Disconnect/dp/B000NCOKZQ/ref=pd_bxgy_img_3/143-1660585-7413766?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000NCOKZQ&pd_rd_r=8322477b-b66a-4936-9f26-2597d47598e1&pd_rd_w=S1aDT&pd_rd_wg=dmP5M&pf_rd_p=ce6c479b-ef53-49a6-845b-bbbf35c28dd3&pf_rd_r=GXXN73RS2Q03NHK0R5WV&psc=1&refRID=GXXN73RS2Q03NHK0R5WV

Top Bottom