Waterproof usb charging in panniers

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I did fit one of these into the vertical forward wall of the LHS pannier:

and routed a convoluted tubing up to the compartment underneath the seat (where my Sony stereo residents)

Serves well since a couple of years (and modifications) now...
End-fitting and it's grip on the tube/sleeving are fully waterproof, no aging/cracking on the material noticeable...
Open seat, detach connectors hidden there (in my case FM/AM aerial and iPod interface lead), detach pannier, pull tubing (running between tail-cone plastic and frame) down and out while taking pannier away from bike.
Attachement: place pannier on silencer (supporting it with knee), flip wiring/tubing up (over the flap, covering the pannier rail), hang pannier in place, connect wiring, stow away, throw saddle on...

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Hey, don't feel bad at all. If you're 64 and still camping out, you deserve respect. I'm 65, and I gave up sleeping on the ground 25 years ago... I guess I'm a wuss, 'cause it's hotels only for me when I travel. I never could get used to waking up in a puddle of water with a sore back, suffering from the onset of hypothermia... :)

Michael
I sure as hell don't want to I'm thinking about getting a hammock too and trying that. I am not wealthy and want to make the $$$ go as far as possible and will suffer a bit to see the kids and the country. I will be using a inflatable sleeping pad tho!

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
66 and still camping.... Try a better tent and a good sleeping pad. I was out west for a week and found 3 great free campsites. Camp free and you'll save more money.
Beenwatching vids about stealth camping graveyards, schools, churches etc. I'm most worried about getting a place to shower

STOC #
Maybe a somewhat better idea...how about running a line from the battery (SAE cord) to one of the fairing pockets then connect a SAE charger to it that can charge via USB to your phone.
I tried putting my phone in the right hand pocket on my last trip and the heat in there overheated my iPhone while it was charging. My bike runs consistently at 3 bars, no excessive heat felt otherwise. I forgot to post here and ask if anyone else had that problem. I also put bottle of water in the left side pocket and it ended up bathwater warm as well.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
...I'm most worried about getting a place to shower
That's the least of my worries. Doesn't matter where I'm riding, the rainshowers & thunderstorms always seem to find me when I'm exactly halfway between towns. :)

Michael

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I tried putting my phone in the right hand pocket on my last trip and the heat in there overheated my iPhone while it was charging. My bike runs consistently at 3 bars, no excessive heat felt otherwise. I forgot to post here and ask if anyone else had that problem. I also put bottle of water in the left side pocket and it ended up bathwater warm as well.
Yep, both of my pockets get warm.

Wow - really?? I ONLY use them to store the manual and patch kit (left) and tire gauge and sidestand pad (right).

I'd NEVER store food, water, phone, or anything that would be affected by heat, in either.

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
My phone is on a x ram, which is mounted on a dash tray behind my oversized windshield. and i plan to have a 3 port usb for the phone, gps and an extra. I really dont get the heat people here are discussing. Mine is a 1100 1996 red ive spent so few moments in the fairing pockets im having reouble remembering how small or large they are.

Bike
R1200rt
Beenwatching vids about stealth camping graveyards, schools, churches etc. I'm most worried about getting a place to shower
no, nothing like that, BLMs' and city parks. like https://www.campendium.com/nomad-view . Get your senior Golden Age Pass, (lifetime pass) free entrance to all national parks, and 50% discount on camping on any National Forest and BLMs. Well worth it. I think it's now $25 if you want to drive through Rocky Mountain NP. In Colorado alone there are 5 0r 6 National Parks and Monuments. I keep a small cooler on my 97. You are going to cook across the Midwest and will notice the engine heat. Some think it's bad , I notice it but to me it's doable.IMG_0728.JPG

Attachments

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
no, nothing like that, BLMs' and city parks. like https://www.campendium.com/nomad-view . Get your senior Golden Age Pass, (lifetime pass) free entrance to all national parks, and 50% discount on camping on any National Forest and BLMs. Well worth it. I think it's now $25 if you want to drive through Rocky Mountain NP. In Colorado alone there are 5 0r 6 National Parks and Monuments. I keep a small cooler on my 97. You are going to cook across the Midwest and will notice the engine heat. Some think it's bad , I notice it but to me it's doable.IMG_0728.JPG
Hey! What are you doing with my bike!! What is a blm? Many many thanks on the senior pass thing. Ill check into that for sure.

Attachments

Top Bottom