Way out West June Trip...

Jey JD,
Put in your Street and Trip program Starting point Caldwell Idaho. First stop Oxbow Oregon. Second stop Joseph Oregon. End is back to Caldwell. This looks like the best trip for Hells Canyon. Map quest says it is a 7-8 hr trip but I think we can cut some time off that. Let me know if you plan on staying more than one day. I have a couple of other ride locations you might like. Check out this like http://www.boisevalleyriders.org/planning/index.jsp?goto=loopmaps. Or we can go to Craters of the Moon (http://www.nps.gov/crmo/). Let me know.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Don't know if this is what dmulk is suggesting; but, this is the way I'd get to AC if I were you.

You don't have to do the loop (obviously!); you can go down to the 210 on the way back.

PM me if you have questions; I may live here; but, I ride there...

Mark

Attachments

OP
OP
bygdawg
Bike
ST 1300
We did that ride, as well as a good bit more. We made it out to MCL's today, and James got the riser bars installed by Larry himself. I added a ram ball mount setup for my DVD camcorder. I'm hoping to get some more video with it as we continue our journey. Here are some shots from our ride today:
http://pics.midsouthspyders.com/listpics.asp?dir=Jay_and_Jennifer\Motorcycle\Way_Out_West_2007_Part_8_California

My best mileage for the trip:

http://pics.midsouthspyders.com/listpics.asp?a=show&ID=11023

Crazy Heat in the lower Mohave:

http://pics.midsouthspyders.com/listpics.asp?a=show&ID=11032

OP
OP
bygdawg
Bike
ST 1300
There were plenty of them. :D I should mention, however, that a section of the Crest was closed due to a landslide. We had to make a brief detour near the Mile High Cafe and then get back on the Crest. I told James that I think it would be hard to get lost and not find a good road as long as you stay close to the mountain. :D The honda shop was hugh. We're heading for the PCH today and will try to put in 600 miles or so before stopping. I'll try to update more later, providing the hotel/motel has internet service.

Ride Safe,
bygdawg

OP
OP
bygdawg
Bike
ST 1300
Scratch 600 miles, we made about 300 today, after stopping by a couple of Honda dealers, eating, and getting in a few delays. Here is the link to today's pictures:

http://tinyurl.com/2xuncf

Click on Part 9 for today's photos.

We are in Ventura and plan to get an early start tomorrow and have lunch in San Fran. As usual, we'll take pics. along the way, and try to update tomorrow night.

Ride Safe,
bygdawg

Bike
2013 K1600GTL
STOC #
Well we did not hit our target for miles riden today but we are riding and you know what they say "Any day riding is better than a day doing something else!!!!"

We are starting up the Pacific Coast Highway tomorrow morning!!! I am looking forward to getting up north. I have ridden from Ventura to Monterey but the rest will all be new. Looks like good weather is being forcast (our fingers are crossed), we have been blessed with beautiful riding weather so far, hopefully it will continue. We are prepared for the worst but hope for the best.

I have had a left high beam go out (yes I have an 05 and it has only been on the road 10 months!!). We stopped at the Honda Dealer in Santa Monica, nice people, very helpful. They had the bulb, but the parts guy and I could not get it in (service wanted $45 dollars to install it). When we got to the hotel, I searched and read the posts that relate to changing the bulb. Tomorrow I will attempt to get my XL meat hooks in to the xxs space to change the bulb. Wish me luck!

There are so many people that have helped us so far, there is not enough room to list them all. The people on this board are FANTASTIC!! Thank you all.

Check out our photo's. If the link takes you to a page with names, select Jay and Jennifer then motorcycle and you will see the Way Out West photos.

JD

Bike
2013 K1600GTL
STOC #
Aren't bulbs warrantied?

<D>
I don't think so. If I was home the STealer would replace it at no cost because of the maintenance plan I bought. Once I figured out where the push tabs were it was easy.

We made it from Ventura to Pacifica today. What a ride!!! Beautiful. BygDawg will up load the photo's in a minute. I am down loading them as I type this. We stopped quite a bit to take photo's and admire the scenery. Again wow what a ride today. By the way, it is cold here!!!! Temps fluctuated between 52 and 74 today! It is supposed to be a bit foggy in the morning, we'll see. Tomorrow San Francisco, Fisherman's Wharf, the Golden Gate Bridge and places north.

JD

dmulk

Dan Mulkiewicz
STOC #
That is awesome!

I missed u guys by a day! I am at the cabin now and I have to say, you guys left the place perfect! You have a place anytime you are in town... :)

Can't wait to see the photos!

Cheers!

<D>

OP
OP
bygdawg
Bike
ST 1300
Pics. are up. Go to the thread above and click on Part 10, 11, and 12. O.K. I'm going to bed now. Must have sleep...

OP
OP
bygdawg
Bike
ST 1300
New pics. are up:

http://tinyurl.com/2xuncf

The caramel apple pie in California was awesome, as was the PCH and the Redwood Forest. Be warned though that the Harley riders have a Redwood Run during this time of the year. I must give kudos to the Harley rider that stopped to see if we needed assistance. We had finally hit a spot where we had cell service and decided to make some calls. When the Harley rider pulled off and saw we were on Honda's I think he realized we obviously couldn't be having mechanical issues. He gave us the thumbs up to which we promptly replied with a like sign, and he was on his way. We'll explore Northern Oregon and Southern Washington tomorrow.

GREAT PICS. Not sure what route you are planning on taking to get here (can?t read your Street & Trip file). I've been looking at the map, trying to figure out a great route (Portland to Boise). RT 26 looks like it would be a fun ride. Portland OR, Madras OR, John Day OR, Parma ID, Caldwell ID (about 9 and 1/2 hours).

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
Quote by bygdawg
Be warned though that the Harley riders have a Redwood Run during this time of the year.
Last year we got unintentionally involved in Sonny Bargers birthday party. I think it was up in the Chino Valley, until we left the area, we had lots of HD company...

Ray and I got to follow a small pack that included a "custom big tire go fast big motor chopper" thing for a ways on 89A. Poor guy darn near had to go to neutral and paddle foot around some of the corners:) No lean angle what so ever, it was fun to watch for a couple of miles...Then we went on our way!

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Sorry we missed you guys. We left for the Hells Canyon Rally on the 8th and just got back.
We discussed our trip and ego: ride the bikes lost out to old body: take the trailer. It rained a whole bunch on Sunday and we van toured the area.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
You guys look like you are having WAY TOO MUCH FUN! Sorry that we couldn't hook up last week, but I see you found your way around just fine! :)

Keep up with the pictures and updates! You have a lot of people very envious! :rolleyes:

OP
OP
bygdawg
Bike
ST 1300
GREAT PICS. Not sure what route you are planning on taking to get here (can?t read your Street & Trip file). I've been looking at the map, trying to figure out a great route (Portland to Boise). RT 26 looks like it would be a fun ride. Portland OR, Madras OR, John Day OR, Parma ID, Caldwell ID (about 9 and 1/2 hours).
We took 126 East to 26 to 38 to 395 to 244 through a lot of National Forest areas. We got some good pictures of a black bear and some great scenery. We are now in La Grande. We'll hit Hell's Canyon tomorrow. We have to try to get the Oregon and Washington pictures uploaded from yesterday and the rest of the Oregon pictures up from today. We'll have more Oregon pictures tomorrow with the Snake River / Hell's Canyon area.

Later,
bygdawg

Top Bottom